13" aluminum unibody, 2.0 or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor.

Damaged Display Data (LVDS) Connector - What to do now?

This cable connects LCD panel to logic board. A damaged display data (LVDS) cable will cause the display not to show image.

Bad Idea. I bought an aftermarket screen that did not have the full assembly.

After taking the MacBook to a nonmac installer the LVDS cable that connects to the lcd itself is now damaged.

The prongs are warped.

I have spent too much money revamping this MacBook and will not buy the full assembly.

I have a fully functional MacBook with a working aftermarket glossy lcd and a damaged LVDS Connector.

Put it up for sale? Sell it for parts?

Find a new connector and attempt repair?

I do not know what to do.

Mark

Damaged LVDS cables can be replaced-- but as one responder pointed out it is not a part that is normally sold separately. You most likely place to find a replacement is by buying a display assembly that is non working and salvage the cable.

In order to replace the LVDS cable you need to:

a) Take the display assembly off of the rest of the MacBook

b) remove the glass from the display-- can be done but extremely hard to do so without breaking it so possible you will have to fork over another $70 to replace

c) unscrew the existing LCD

d) swap cables on back of LCD and re-route new cable through metal frame of display assembly

e) screw LCD back in, replace glass

A few tips:

1) always test the LCD before replacing glass-- if there is a problem with the cable or connection you want to find it then, not after you have put glass back on.

2) Remember that the problem can be on the logic board and not the screen-- meaning you can have a logic board that works with external monitor and not the internal screen-- but to no fault of the screen. So inspect the logic board LVDS connector carefully with a loupe to see if it has any signs of visible damage like liquid shorting out or melting plastic connectors.

+ Ralph

DHgate also has lvds cables & components if you want to buy in bulk.

Anyone knows if it's possible to disconnect my lcd from my macbook pro and connect in it's place the end point of another macbook pro so as not to take apart anything and quickly test if my logic board si working properly or it's damaged? Thanx!

Yes there is a repair guide for "replace display assembly" for all macbooks here on ifixit but it will require some disassembly. Not a lot but you need to remove the bottom case screws, the LVDS cable, the microphone cable and/or wifi antenna cables, plus some additional screws holding the hinges in place

Most Helpful Answer

If the LVDS socket on the logic board is not damaged then simply replace the LVDS cable.

Best place to get one ?

@lemerise Anyone knows if it's possible to disconnect my lcd from my macbook pro and connect in it's place the end point of another macbook pro so as not to take apart anything and quickly test if my logic board si working properly or it's damaged? Thanx!

I believe the connector is part of a cable that connects to the display panel on one end, and the logic board on the other. If this is true, you should be able to replace the cable by opening the display assembly, and putting in a replacement cable.

...and where is this LVDS cable going to come from? I don't see one for sale here, or anywhere for that matter. Only the complete assembly.

Powerbook Medic sells the cable:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/13-MacBook...

seems like that's how it is, but I have seen a few places that claim to carry them. But they are all out of stock. But it certainly seems to me that if they are possible to salvage from broken monitors, there should be plenty since it seems that there are quite a few broken screens out there!

You can get to the lvds cable easy enough just make sure you remove all the screws on the sides and back panel comes off unfotuanatly i have 6 cables from other macs that dont match one end or other. To get the screen outta loop you have to take battery out and remove the memory sticks, hold the power button down for 30 to 45 seconds put sticks back in and should work unless the new screen pin configuration is one wire off if you look at board and where the plug goes in should line up if it doesnt then you have wrong plug.too explain best theres twenty wires but only half are actually touching 3wires then space 2wires space 4wires you get the point on the board the wires should line up with board where it plugs in there should be the same configeration to plug if not it confuses the grafics and keeps cycling sorry for spelling but hope it helps

This is not an easy task best left for the pro or semi-pro as can be found locally on Kijiji perhaps. The greatest task is replacing the rubber around the perimeter of the lcd glass. It takes a special technique! YouTube has great videos on this. Be careful you have the Exact model (CPU speed is great indicator as the core i7 won't fit the core i5 and the 2.3 is different than either the 2.4 but one if those us same lvds for the 2.5 GHz model A1278 for example. Typically either gold or silver cover over connector. - do not force connector into logic board and should be a tight fit. Always be careful with the connector on the logic board it's very fragile. Having the wrong cable or screen attached will definitely fry a couple of components on logic board and that's $200-300 to fix.

These components can be found on eBay, amazon, AliExpress or Alibaba - just can't recall which. But a broken screen can be picked up for 40.00 typically if not Retina and maybe even that. Keep in mind there is 30% more to pay for us Canadians since our dollar is so low compared to the US$

Good luck.

One option is to sell the logic board on eBay as for a 2010 to 2012 A1278 Pro it's worth 400.00 approx.

:)

Mark Smith will be eternally grateful.