I got two macbook pro retina refunded for the same issue! With a $@$* ton of heavy discussion.
I owned late-2013 2.5GHz, when the heavy 85-100c started showing with ridicolous tasks such as opening a 100 pictures and spamming the arrow keys I returned it.. It took 2 logic board repairs and the third return before they finally started to ##&&% about the thermal sensors were OK (Indicating I was using some $@$*!& software that reported wrong temps, even though I used TG Pro which used their own frekkin values from their own sensors.
Then I finally got it refunded totally (but via the store elgiganten - and not because apple admitted it, but a nice chief of reclamation there took my point with the 100 pictures in quick look and the 97c) and instead ordered the mid-2015 force touch trackpad. I also upgraded to 2.8GHz and this time the model without dedicated gpu which I thought would let it cool easier.
Guess what. The problem persisted. The first day I played StarCraft 2 on the lowest detail but with native resolution it ran frekking HOT again! 95-97c on a brand new mid-2015 and that meant I returned the $@$* straight to them and talked to Apple officials on the phone because there is no returns on customized macs - but this time they could not argue AT ALL against their terrible cooling. Even the Apple representative admitted lightly that he had experienced the issue he had a Retina Macbook Pro himself.
A nice computer, 10% better than everything else in terms of anything BUT COOLING. But wait until they fix the CASE AND COOLING. The cooling is absolutely undermined and has been since the first retina 2009! Even the 2015 can't do cooling and low detail rts gaming and even 100 pictures in quick look with fast tapping left/right means ridicolous temperatures.
Like I told Apple: There are Linux and open source picture viewers with 1KB binaries that can't even provoke a reaction on the CPU usage by showing pictures. Quick look must be doing some crazy location services $@$* or some other ridicolous bad software practise that runs on every left/right tap on a picture.
Apple finally admitted, they took my product feedback which in short was:
- Make a proper Retina Macbook Pro cooling solution +fans +larger cooling cutouts
- Fix quick look that absolute $@$*!& piece of software that can't even display pictures without you burning yourself on the keyboard!
- Make your chargers for Macbook so they do not run hot like scolding hot when it charges!
- Use better plastic jacket for chargers because they tear and break up on the weakest point in the jacket assembly.
- Admit and look inwards instead of 80% of your employees admitting to nothing and 'our product is perfect mentality' because it's clearly NOT. My story prooves that. You were WRONG. Add some cooling ffs.
Refunded. I have no idea what I should buy now I love OS X and the products but there is no alternative for me since Macbook Air is too puny for me. I now have alot of apple gear and lots of bought software for OS X I have no idea what to do with.
I wait for a Retina with proper cooling. That simple.