10

limber
121

Mac with most repairability (10 out of 10)?

What is the most repairable Apple Mac (desktop or laptop) ever made?

Edited by: mayer ( ) , Kyle Wiens ( )

While I agree whole heartedly with rj713's answer of Pismo, I was hoping there was an iFixIt chart of repairability from highest to lowest. Such a chart would be helpful, but doesn't seem to exist.

limber,

we asked ifixit to score products on their repairability/availability of spares but it hasn't got off the ground. go to metaifixit... the feedback link at the bottom.. and ask this directly to the people who own and run this site. we just answer the questions and are everyday citizens like you!

pollytintop,

That's a great question! I'll see what everyone here thinks. And I like your idea of a repairability chart.

Kyle Wiens,

you've got my vote!

pollytintop,

6

lemerise

Easiest Mac laptop: PB G3 Pismo

Hardest Mac Laptop: PB G4 Alu 12"

Second easiest laptop: White Macbook 1181

Easiest Mac towers: G3 & G4 flip door models

Hardest all in one models: eMacs

4

remacberlin

The easiest recent Apple machine to take apart / assemble is the original MacBook 13" or the iMac G5 without iSight camera (my opinion). If you like it the harder way choose a 12" PowerBook G4 or a iBook G3/G4 white ;-)

I agree with the IMac G5 without iSight. I spend a ton of time working with those and all you have to do to get to all of the internals is remove the rear case with 3 screws.

John,

having just repaired 2 imac G5 with ease (for a beginner) and 1 ibook G3 with no end of drama and painful learning experiences, I'd place my vote here for the beginner repair people out there.

pollytintop,

4

Chris Green

The PowerMac G4 is probably the easiest Mac to repair. The iBook G3/G4 is probably the most difficult.

3

rj713

In my opinion it was the Powerbook G3 "Pismo". A really great machine that was easily upgraded or repaired.

So true, so true!

limber,

3

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

I had my fewest repairs on the Power PC 6100/60, it took lightning to damage that machine.

The hardest was an eMac.

mayer,

When it did get hit by lightning, it made the sound of screeching tires and a car crash followed by chips popping off the board. That's the only time I've ever heard that diagnostic sound

mayer,

and what was your diagnosis? lol

pollytintop,

I replaced the logic board and it was fine.

mayer,

3

Matt Barnes

I would have to agree with remacberlin and maybe it is just because I have taken so many of these apart, but MacBooks model A1181 are easy to take apart and repair.

In terms of least repairable, I despise taking apart/fixing the PowerBook G4 12".

Edited by: Matt Barnes ( )

I feel the A1181 are very easy to repair as well. While the Unibody line does allow for fewer screws, it is more difficult to work with in terms of being upside down. for the most part, the A1181 can still be sitting up right and being able to diagnose what the issue is. The hardest that I have dealt with is probably the iMac 2006 era. Mostly cause I have one, and it still isn't completely back together.

Mike,

2

Joe

As far as accessibility to the most internals with the least steps I feel it is the Unibody line. Of course this is with access to all necessary screw bits.

The G4 towers only required lifting the ring to open it

mayer,

I don't work with the towers. I'm not a big fan of the expense of the Apple towers for what you get.

Joe,

1

Jim
13

I've worked on dozens of Macs from all eras. The easiest to me are the old desktop and pizza box Macs. You can 'field strip' a Macintosh IIci without any tools and there's plenty of room to work.

The most difficult has been the Mac mini of a couple generations ago (the ones with the white top) and replacing the hard disk in an iBook G4. eMacs are real challenges too.

0

Dimitar Terziev
13

Easiest Mac laptop for me is MacBook Pro 15' mid 2009.

Mac mini G4 models also.

0

Godzil
1

The Macintosh Portable is the easiest to open and access it's internal parts.

On the desktop line, some modeles like the PowerMac 7500 is really easy to open too.

0

John Laney
535

I think that the easiest to repair and work on is the mid 2008 macbook pro 15" pre unibody.

0

Simon Lang
1

IIcx & IIci

One screw.

0

kriss13
1

Macbook Pro retina has 1/10 score... everything is soldered or custom shape.

Not to mention battery is glued to the case.

You open it up have a look.. that's it.. not much to replace.

ps.

How is this "green" to apple? you have to throw away almost the wahole computer if one part goes bad.