Refrigerator

Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

GE Refrigerator makes ice but doesn't dispense water

One day this happened to me out of no where. I've tried 2 different brand new water filters but get the same result. When I try to dispense water, it makes a noise but nothing comes out. I also notices water slowly leak in the bottom corners of the unit. I've checked the hoses and there doesn't seem to be a problem with them. The ice maker/dispenser still works fine. Any ideas?

The only thing worse than GE refrigerators is GE service. Don't purchase GE

by smith

I have tried a hair dryer on both the reservoirs and the freezer door but to no avail. Should I turn the freezer and refrigerator sections completely off and let the whole unit thaw out to see if that helps?

by billhopper25

I have a side by side GE. I have read the comments, however I believe my problem may be different. When I try to get water it fills up a quarter of the glass while making noise then comes out really slow. I have used the hair dryer and fished some weed eater line up through the tubing of the door. I am at a loss and suggestions?

by Dave

I have the same problem. Everything was working fine before I replaced the filter and now like you a quarter cup fills up and then it trickles until it completely stops. If I wait 5 minutes and try again the same thing. I put the old filter back on and the same thing so that ruled out the filter. I even put the bypass on and same thing. No sign of frozen lines so I started to wonder if there was air in the line? I noticed a small leak coming out of the what appeared to be the valve in the fridge and when I inspected closer there is a hair line crack around face of the valve where the filter screws into. I think this is my problem but not 100% sure. Anyone else ever run into this?

by Yokster

First, check the water line attached to the back of the refrigerator for good water flow. To do that, first turn off the water supply valve. Then remove the water line from the back of the refrigerator. Next, place the water line into a bucket and momentarily turn the water valve back on to test the flow. If the flow is poor, you need to repair, clean, or replace the tubing or the shut-off valve that supplies the water. If the flow is good, you may have to replace the water inlet valve.

The ice and water-dispensing system of your refrigerator is quite complex. Many components work together to provide the ice and water. Aside from a simple problem of a leaky water tube or a jammed ice chute, most other components are not user serviceable.

good answer +

by rj713

My water line has frozen up a few times recently. I figured that a life of frequent defrosting wasn't going to work for me. After Further investigation I found that the ice flapper was slightly open freezing the protruding water line. The rubber flapper actually came off its holder slightly. After watching a you tube video on how to remove the front panel (simple) to gain access to the "flapper" I was able to reset the flapper on its holder. I'm certain that my frozen water line is solved until the next time someone jams an object in the Ice chute in an attempt to free the stuck ice. So before you go and rewire and purchase heating kits I would suggest checking or changing the "flapper".

by Troy

Just my two cents, GE refrigerator water line freezing in the freezer door is not uncommon. It sounds like the valves are working since you say you can hear it trying to dispense. Pull the toekick off, find the water line connection, and disconnect it. Close the freezer door and turn on the dispenser to see if water squirts out the water line. Have bowl handy to catch the water. If water comes out then you have a frozen water line in the dispenser area. GE makes a heater kit to fix this. ...don't know the part no. off-hand.

Rich

+great answer. Welcome to iFixit. Just one minor comment, please post your email or business URL in your profile and not your answers. Some of my colleagues on here have businesses themselves and it is sort of understood that we do it like that. Just a little ethics thing:)

by oldturkey03

my water line was frozen.i reset the freezer temp one setting higher 6 to 5 and used a hair dryer on the center back of freezer door.my water works fine.

This is awesome. Our door water hasn't worked in a year but the ice worked fine. I opened the freezer door and cleared it of stuff and then spent about 7 or 8 minutes with a hair dryer on the inside and outside of the door. Every couple of minutes I would check the water line. The last time I checked it the door water nozzle spit out a small ice chunk and began flowing. First time we've had water from the fridge in a long time. Great info!!!

by Bret Lytle

I want to thank you. My husband tried all sorts of things to get to this point. I spent 7 or 8 minutes with my hair dryer and water came flying out. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by DJ Coleman

YES! Thanks! I just used my hair dryer on the inside and outside of the freezer , all around the water dispenser. It took a little longer than 7 or 8 minutes, more like 10. But what really did the trick was putting a Q tip up into the water dispenser line, as it comes out of the dispenser. A lot of dirt/sediment came out, and then it started working! (Our water is very hard here.) Thanks for the great tip!!

by jennifer

THANK YOU!!! Same for me...about 8-10 minutes with a hair dryer and it was flowing!

by house916

Thank you.. great answer... took all of 5 mins with heater on bottom half of freezer door...

by Pmachmer

A flaw in the design of these units causes door insulation or seal to deteriorate over time and as a result freezes the water line inside the door by the H2O discharge area. You can order the heater kit and install it or you can try the following fix that cured it for me and cost almost nothing. I used a styrofoam crawlspace winter vent cover and affixed it to the inside of door directly behind the water/ice outlet using two-sided tape. I also removed the front assembly to the H2O/ice dispenser and stuffed a short piece of round foam insulation in the problem area. The pictures will explain it better. I am not sure what method of the two worked. You could start with the easier, crawlspace (or any styrofoam) mounted to the inside door.

Anyone know how to get the front assembly to the water/ice dispenser off without tearing it up?

by John DiPietro

I was a skeptic, but its true, the ice maker worked but the water dispenser only made a noise, but no water flow. I took the advice posted in this article, and cranked the freezer temp up to the warmest possible temp (in this case number 6), and took a hairdryer and blew it on the middle of the front and back of the freezer door. Within less than ten minutes I had water flowing again.

OK….we have success here. The idea of getting buckets, etc., wasn't appealing for a first attempt. So I tried the hairdryer and heater method, and became discouraged when nothing was happening. What seem to do the trick, not sure if in combination, was to slightly jiggle the aforementioned hose exposed in the bottom right corner of the freezer door. With the water dispenser front door lever held down by a big ol' plastic cup with a stone in it, I opened and closed the freezer door ever so slightly which began to pump squirts of water out….I'm assuming like a primer or loosening whatever was in the line. Water began to flow just fine.

On my GE Profile refrigerator the water is controlled by a cluster of little solenoid operated valves at the lower left hand side as you face the backside. Whether you are asking for drinking water or your ice maker is asking for ice cube water, the primary water valve must supply the water in both cases. So, I don't think the primary valve is at fault since it works for ice making. Secondary valves direct the water to the ice maker or the water dispenser. I would guess that the secondary valve that directs the water to the dispenser could be at fault. Check its electrical connector. The system is more complicated that I imply but can be figured out by removing tubing from the valves one at a time and observing water flow when you push the dispenser lever, etc. (You'll need an assistant.) The tubes are released at the valves by pressing the ring at their connection toward the valve and pulling on the tubing. When replacing the tubing simply push it into the valve as far as it will go and pull it away again to seat the tube. It's fun to figure these things out. Draw a diagram as you discover things. Observe where each tube goes when it leaves the valve. Home Depot carries tubing and reusable couplers if you need to repair tubing.

This worked for me with the SAME PROBLEM: open the freezer door and push the freezer door switch (with door open) and start pumping water form the water dispenser (don't let go freezer door switch) push water dispenser for 5 to 30 seconds, then let go, then push dispenser again for 5-30 seconds, then let go, and so on, for 2 minutes, after that, water should start flowing/dispensing, you will run and throw away about/aproximately 2.5 gallons water to get clean water and good flow. ALSO, make sure you have replased your filter on time for clean and proper water dispensing.

HOPE IT HELPS :)

Ok I finally found an easy fix. The water feeds from the bottom of the refrigerators, freezer door, then through the door hinge, you can see the tubing in a small elbow at the bottom.

I placed a small heater facing the bottom of the door and left it running for about 10 minutes. The was water was flowing right away. I decided to let the heater continue to run. This was much easier than using a hair dryer.

THANK YOU to everyone above. We have a GE Fridge with water dispenser. At first it worked, then it stopped working. Worked for a couple of weeks and then stopped again. Ice maker works, I can hear solenoid clicking to dispense but no water. I am convinced the water line has frozen. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know for sure soon. Scott/Portland, OR

All of you guys are right, you can have water going to the ice maker and continue to make ice while you dispenser will not give water because of a frozen water line. The only problem is that the person with the complaint about the fridge also reported water leaking in the fridge. I have seen this issue before while fixing the same exact issue in customers houses. What happens is if you are getting freezing in the water tank and thawing and freezing again the water tank in the back of the fridge will get a crack and start to leak. This will cause both issues, you will start to see leaking in the fridge and you will not have water making it to the water dispenser. I have seen this issue when people have replaced the water filters, probably finally cracks the tank when there is the rush of pressure from the new filter. I would check you water tank if I was you, you most likely see a huge crack or anything like that. The crack will be small and will probably be in the seem or in a corner.

This is exactly my issue. Water on the bottom of fridge and now water dispenser does not work. I traced water lines and I can see the problem. Line from under the fridge after the connector is not connected and a feed tube that does dispense water is also not connected. I don't know where they are supposed to connect to or if they should be connected to each other? Any ideas?

by tjf

No water from the water despenser. Replaced the circuit board and the filter. Additionally, the water line is not frozen. Now what?

If you have tried changing micro switch at the water dispenser and changed the circuit board, and still not working then u have the same problem I do have. Try this, the water feeds from the bottom of the refrigerators, freezer door, then through the door hinge, you can see the tubing in a small elbow at the bottom, along with that there is harness wire, disconnect the wire and clean it and connect it back. I wish I can post a picture, let me know if that does not work.

by shoolcool

Ge Ge what a nice machine pity it taken me months to find someone to fix this useless piece of you know what had so many problems with mine don't think i will ever buy one of these appliances again it amazing how a company like General Electric sells all these fridges then managed to abandon everyone this side of the pond England it has taken months and a few emails before they got in touch and put me on to a agsrefrigeration.co.uk service company who does the London area who came out and rectified the same faults as some of the above. To say the least i am not impresses with their after service a complete shambles.

I had the original problem of no water at the dispenser and water on the floor at the back right corner of the fridge. Problem was broken water tubing at the solenoid valve. The repair person told me replacing the tubing was not a big deal, but the cause of the brittle tubing was. Turns out that the circuit on control board that controls the fan blowing on the compressor had failed, therefore the fan ran very slowly (almost no breeze at all), the compressor ran hotter (a longer term issue if not fixed) and the water tubing that was near the compressor became brittle and broke. So, both a control board and new tubing was the solution for me.

What was the cost for control board and new tubing? We have a GE fridge with this issue for about 3 years now. tried the hair dryer/ unplugged for a day method.. nothing worked.

Thinking of replacing it if the cost to repair is going to be expensive..

The ICE dispenser is also not working.

by s k

I have a side to side GE Profile Arctica. The water stopped working but the ice was still working without a problem. I put a fan blowing on the inside of the freezer door for 15 minutes - still no water. Then I brought a portable heater to bear on the inside of the freezer door. Within 10 mnutes the water was flowing. Thanks for all the helpful comments on this site! Chris

This happened to me about 6 years after getting our GE Refrigerator. then three years later, then a year later and now a month later...

I disconnected the water line at the junction under the freezer door, disconnected the front panel and switches to expose everything underneath, used various combinations of hair dryers, heaters, canned air, and injected steam... all with the door open and a blanket covering an emptied freezer.. it all takes patience but I never had it fixed in 10 minutes... it takes time but it can be thawed...

My only concern is why the thing is freezing more frequently as time passes.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. The water was not dispensing from my GE fridge even though the ice maker was working fine. Followed the advice above and ruled out a filter (switching the filter to the bypass tool) and water flow issue. I disconnected the water supply line and water was flowing fine. Then I disconnected the tube under the fridge and once again water was flowing fine. So at this point I was pretty sure it was a frozen line in the door. So I used a windshield reflector to keep the cold air in the freezer and left the door open and used a hair dryer to warm up the inside of the door. After a while a small piece of ice came out and water started flowing again. Be patient, it works!!!!! As long as you ruled out it is not a valve or water supply issue.

fu ck your wife untill she dies bicth

The water stopped flowing rather suddenly on my door dispenser - even with regular, daily use. I used the hair dryer on the inside and outside of the door for 10 minutes (with insulation placed inside the freezer to keep the frozen items frozen. The water ran out with full force - at least once I realized that I needed to close the door for the pump to work! You could also push the lever inside the freezer with your hand. Thanks for posting the problem since I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on the GE site.

I have posted this before.

There is an after market in line heater; if your refrigerator is new enough.

After having this heater installed, I have not had a single problem.

If this is your issue do not waste your time with heaters or hairdryer. Get out your air compressor and a blowgun with rubber tip and use about 60-80 psi. Turn off water source and take off lower front grill. There is a blue pressure fitting disconnect the line going up into the door. You just push in on the white ring to disconnect. Blow it out from the water dispenser on the door and watch the ice chunks fly. Done !

I decided to use a hair drier as some had said, without taking everything apart and just blow hot air up in the housing... and down the ice chute... It was a great idea until I got distracted and that becomes quite the heat sink.... the plastic that you put your glass up against, which I usually remove when thawing the thing out, can and DID melt... It looked like a time lapse of a rose wilting. No big deal... 35 dollars to replace the pieces... but it DID thaw the line ... for about three weeks. I laugh now... but cursed at the time...

I had bought a heater so I went back to the proven system of take the door dispenser apart and heat the line from the spigot on the door down to the connector under the freezer... installed the heater... fingers crossed.

The hair dryer worked for me as well. Ice maker worked but one day water just stopped. Replaced filter. Could hear water going in and removed filter and it had filled with water. (I installed it empty) so water was flowing. Heated front and back of center door but water didn't flow until I followed advice of earlier poster who put the hear at the bottom of the door where tube flows up. Had water in 2 minutes.

less than 5 minutes with the hair dryer worked for mine. Thank you for all the hints and helpful tips.

I have the very same problem; ice maker works, water dispenser makes a noise but does not put out the water. However, I have the freezer that is the pull out drawer style on the bottom. How do I solve the problem?

I use my water dispenser daily and overnight it stopped working. It was making ice, I could hear something happening and no leaks inside of fridge. I had just put in a new filter September 1, 2014 but I put in a new one anyway. The blow dryer method (inside and outside) of the door worked in less than 10 mins!!

I have a GE refrigerator 15 years old, not making ice, I put a new water valve on and jump tested it and it works fine I primed the ice maker and still nothing. I When I jump tested the valve it put water in the ice maker, but when everything is hooked up correctly no water is going into the ice maker. I hope someone can help me.

by proamgolfco

Here is what I don't understand, If when I jumper the solenoid it puts water in the ice maker, why doesn't it work when hooked up properly

by proamgolfco

I have GE Artica with water dispenser not woeking but making ice. After reading lots of these solutions involving thawing a frozen water line, I simply moved the freezer temperature setting up by one to warmer setting. Then as suggested on earlier post, I turned on the light on the dispenser. I went to bed and woke up with a working water dispenser. Thanks everyone for your help. Let's see how long it lasts.

by kim

These are all great hints. But didnt work for me. When I disconnected the hose at the bottom of the front door there was no flow from the hose so I think the problem is further back.

Still....good ice but no water.

2/10/2015

YAY!!!!!! SOLVED!!!!! BLOW DRYER ON BOTTOM HALF OF DOOR WORKED IN 5 MINUTES!!!!!!!THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!! HAD NO WATER FLOW BUT ICE MAKER WORKED.

1st I purchased a new filter which GE thought was the problem. I purchased HDX filters at Home Depot.. 2 were the same price as one by GE. Didn't make a difference

Then I tried the 10 minute blowdryer on the top half of the freezer door method, no change.

Then I read more previous comment ''AND BLOWDRYED THE BOTTOM HALF OF THE DOOR INSIDE & OUTSIDE. I DIDN'T EVEN TAKE 10 MINUTES TO THAW. MAYBE 4!!!!

Thanks again to all! Jan

I have a side by side GE refrigerator the ice section works, but all of a sudden the water stops flowing. Please help me fix it. Thanks.

The blowdryer solution works! I have a GE ARTICA. The water suddenly stopped flowing, but the icemaker worked as usual. I put the blowdryer on high and applied hot air to the lower half of the freezer door for 5 minutes both on the inside and the outside. Bingo! The water started flowing again. Turned my freezer temperature up to 0 to try to keep it that way. (was set at -1 before).

Glad I could help.

by mayer

Guys, the tube continues to freeze, you will probably find the same @Monique.

Use the weed eater line to feed into the tube, we have been using it for months now, costs nothing and is sooo easy! Beats blowdryers - mine had to be done multiple times of the day towards the end.

Watch the vid and be done with this issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52OfpE8z...

Oh, I have the GE Adora.

by Troy

Thaaaaaank you!!!! Hair dryer for 8 min did the trick!!!

I can't begin to thank you all! It worked! The hair dryer was on the door for 10 minutes. I thought it didn't work, so I walked away. A short while later, I heard a noise come from the door. I walked back and attempted to get water! An enormous spout of water. Amen! Thank you, thank you!

Hair drier trick worked for me. I blowed for about 2-3 min in high setting but didn't work that day, I gave up. The day after water started to flow all of a sudden. Thanks everyone.

The heater isn't helping mine out... I'm done with it. I bought a Brita filter. Ice maker works. I'm Ok with that...

GE Products stink!!!! The GE water dispenser stopped working after I replaced the filter. The refrigerator is a piece of junk just like their water heaters, they go out all the time. I bought a refrigerator I thought it would last a long time. If it's a frozen water line why would it quit working right after changing the filter. I bought another filter thinking their filter might be as bad as their appliance and might be defective as well but it still doesn't work. Warning - Don't buy GE products their built like the SF Bay Bridge with junk parts and GE knows its products won't last the before they're finished building it.

The water filter head (what the filter attaches to) is likely bad. Replace it.

by opiewho

John, I have had a water "heater" installed in the freezer door. Naturally, the water doesn't dispense. I have the freezer set at "1" and thermometer shows 4 degrees. Looks like the heater is "broken" or frozen? Should I defrost the freezer and hope the heater turns on? Or just purchase another heater (part)? Everything else seems fine. Thank you. Dee

Just had this problem on my GE Side-by-side model # PFSS6PKXCSS and was able to fix it successfully. My symptoms were no water out the dispenser and reduced production of ice from the ice maker. I first removed the filter assuming that water was not getting through and installed the bypass with no improvement. I then checked the water supply line from the house by disconnecting it, I had good pressure and flow. I then accessed the water valve unit on the refrigerator and disconnected the line that feeds water to it from the filter I then reconnected the water line from the house and turned the water back on and got just a small trickle of water out of the feed line to the water valve. The blockage was between the house water line and the refrigerator water valve unit. The part that was faulty is called the water filter head (it is what the water filter attaches to). When I went to get a replacement I found GE had discontinued the original part number and released a new, revised and improved part number. That is GE part number: WR17X12512 and includes the water filter head and the lines in from the house and out to the water valve unit. I purchased and installed this updated part and now the water is again dispensing and ice is being made normally. Hope this helps.

First thank you to those who have tried to help. As I previously stated - GE repair man had installed a water heater in the interior of the freezer door as the problem had occurred while under warranty. I checked everything else and found the water line had been frozen in the door. Just didn't know if I should buy another heater for the freezer. Turned out I just defrosted the refrigerator/freezer. Let it "warm up" then turned it on. Woolah! The water dispenser worked! The settings on the computer panel outside is set for "3" freezer and "8" for the refrigerator. Yes, the numbers are out of the usual setting range but for the time being - it works. Had read the freezer temp. should be between 0-10 degrees yet the purchased "refrigerator" thermometers state minus 10-0 freezer temp and 34-40 refrigerator temp. ***In regard to the filter, (if it is an exterior filter - outside the refrigerator)the instructions state when you change to a new filter - you need to let the water run through the new filter approx. 5 minutes to flush out any tiny metal fragments that are in the filter - before connecting the filter to the upper water connection line. So connect the bottom of the filter to the water line but flush out/let the water flow through the filter before connecting the top of the filter to the water line. Otherwise, tiny fragments could get caught and clog the water line. Yes, the new refrigerators have a filter inside but I would rather keep the filter outside as the outside filter only costs $15 versus the "inside" filter costs $55-65.

i only got my frigde today and i cant even to get the water and ice dispenser to work.

anyone know what i can do to get it to work?

Did you figure it out I cant get water to dispense.

by dunnjrdavid

I have a GE side by side. Like most of the above comments, my water dispensing line freezes about 3-4" just inside the external water port. The cheapest way to "fix" a frozen water line is to use a hair dryer for about 8-10 min. May need to give it a few extra minutes to thaw before water flow resumes. However this did not fix the water line from freezing up again. So I replaced the ice door flapper with continued same problem. Next I'll try adhering some styrofoam to the inside freezer door, just below the ice shoot as well as insulation up and around the external water port where a water heater kit would normally be installed. I shall see if that keeps the line thawed.

I used my air compressor. Waited till about 70-80 psi and shot couple short blasts into the white nozzle. It took about 2 blasts not more than 1-2 seconds. Water came flowing out.

Havent checked much but the ice dispenser seems to be working fine but no water comes out at all, its not frozen because I just installed a supply line for it. It clicks when depressing for water but nothing comes out. Any help?

john will be eternally grateful.