Complete disassembly and installation guides for most recent Mac laptops and consumer desktops.

How do I reset the open firmware password on my Mac?

My iBook shows a padlock, entry area and an arrow pointing to the right. Any idea on what a password should be? This showed up after putting the hard drive out of a iBook g4 into an iBook. Should other components have been switched as well. Thanks

Is this right after you turn it on, or after it boots into the operating system?

Here's to info you want Majesty. Ralph http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352

rj713, 9 hours ago • Delete

Hi! This machine has an open firmware password enabled, which is similar to a BIOS password on a PC. This is not the same as the admin password, i.e. it's in the firmware of the machine itself, and not something on the hard drive.

Basically, this means that a previous owner of the machine decided to lock it, and this lock will prevent you from booting to other drives, optical media, etc. If you know the password, you can go into open firmware and disable the lock. Otherwise, there is a procedure to override it: You need to change the amount of RAM in the machine (either add memory or remove existing memory in the expansion slot), and IMMEDIATELY, i.e. the first time booting after changing the RAM, reset the PRAM three times in a row. That means it needs to chime three times after the power-on chime. Once you've done this, you should no longer see the lock. It's Apple's "top secret" way to bypass an open firmware password.

Wow. That's an awesome answer. Gets my vote!

rdklincorporated, we should not give hints here to bypass firmware password protection. A thief could use it to access private data of a stolen Mac.

If a thief is resourceful enough to bypass an open firmware password, he's also smart enough to remove the hard drive and put it in a USB enclosure in order to access the data (which the open firmware password does not guard against). I think this is common enough of an issue in used Apple laptops that it is critical for refurbishers to know in order to salvage recycled machines. Without this knowledge, a lot of machines are completely worthless and assumed ready for the scrap heap.

I would also add that LOTS of recyclers sell off Apple laptops as "dead" that simply need their passwords bypassed. If they knew how to do this, then they would be able to meet their obligations to delete the data, instead of passing it on to others and risking the data being compromised.

He's done it again :o) Keep'em coming RDKL.++++

By the way, how do I go about setting this type of password on my MacBook???

I went nuts trying everything to get the "reset RAM" trick to work on My 2009 2.66 MacBook Pro, and partly by luck, I finally got the EFI PW to reset.

I had to remove the bottom RAM Piece, and boot it with just only the top positioned RAM in it. . Just removing the top RAM piece was NOT working.

Also if you have only one RAM piece, and dont want to buy another, try repositioning the RAM, into the other RAM position to reset the EFI.

I hope my comments helps someone as much as it would have helped me 2 weeks ago.

BEST !

Not certain this is your situation, but you might want to check out the answers to this question for advice on how to get access to an OS X computer if you've forgotten or don't have the administrator password: how do i reset my administrators password?or reset the whole thing?

Hi guys could you please tell where is RAM locate in Apple MacBook Air 2013? I only found HD but not Ram can someone let me know. Thanks in advance

I'm currently struggling with this on a refurb mac mini... I installed XP yesterday and now I can either get to the password/lock screen or just xp... My problem gets worse, my time machine drive is now throwing the click of doom so if I can't get back to my mac side and have to get an os disc (didn't come with os or gray disc) I lose everything, including emails I've been saving since 2002! Ick

Anyone know how much the apple store might charge to "reset" this?

Please start your own question.

thishelped alot .My laptop was under my couch for 8mths.

Sorry folks but there is no way to by pass lock screen (EFI) if you have got a new mac (air, book pro, or what ever) since early 2011. The main reazon is that every singel password is saved in to the bios (i know, i know…) well the little chip that serves as a bios (still it is actually a bios) that you have to remove and then get a new flashed one... if you found it.

Dont forget to press the Command - Option - P - R keys together until you hear three chimes then it's reset. Older units have reset buttons located on the unit.

Your solution still bloddy works after all the updates all these years. Excellent tip buddy.

Hi, I think you can visit this site about how to recover lost password and try to find out the answer: http://www.recoverlostpassword.com

nice spam and for windows too!! except the iTunes one which isn't at all what we're discussing here. Go away troll.

My MacBook Air 2009 model locked I want unlock for free

Unlock my MacBook Air 2009 for free

I need help unlock my laptop MacBook Air 2009 model for free

cathy will be eternally grateful.