Black screen after lcd replace

First off I want to thank everyone for the help on this site. My problem happened right after I replaced the lcd on an iPhone 6. the screen is dark and I tried different screens even the original, still the same problem. when the phone is connected to power it intermittently vibrates, when connected to computer itunes picks it up but I cant access it because there is a passcode. I read about the longer screws damaging the motherboard and its not it (the shield wasnt on). I tried everything, even removing and re installing the board. same problem. I had a iphone 5s do the same thing and it worked after resetting the battery, this one has me stumped. Would appreciate any input, thanks in advance.

I have the same problem and am onto a second screen yet still the same issue. I did not even attach the shield so it can't be the screw issue.

I had a iphone 5s do the same thing, after a while of replacing different screens and removing the board it started working by itself. i still cant understand what was wrong with it or what made it work again.

any solutions yet?? this just happened to me ;(

I am having the same issue :(

I had the same problem, the phone was on, I was able to connect with iTunes but the screen remained black!

But was able to fix the problem by rebooting the phone, pressing home button and lock button for 5 sec.

You guys all have great theories , I fixed a 5s recently with the same problem by melting flux into the screw hole and heating it with a heatgun. I guess reflowing it helps, but I would only use it as a last resort.

Which screw hole? The long screw hole?

It wouldn't be the long screw hole as that goes through the whole logic board via screw hole to the housing of the phone. I think he is referring to one of the two screw holes directly south of the front display connectors.

Most Helpful Answer

in the iphone 6 i havent seen this be anything OTHER than long screw damage. in the 5s, there are a few different causes of BSOD that are not long screw damage, but no backlight in the 6 in the absence of water damage is long screw damage or DFU mode.

I have fixed a few iPhone 6's with trace damage from the long screw problem. Feel free to find me at iPad Rehab online for mail in repair.

Jess, i think your great, i've watched all your video's ( i think ) and have mostly all the equipment you recommend. I have the same problem with an iphone 6, not long screw damage, a slight bit of water residue under a broken screen, but no sign of liquid damage anywhere else. the phone worked when they brought it in, but now its just a black screen. Even under the microscope, no signs of liquid damage on the board or bad connections or long screw damage - nothin ! I'm stumped.

&&^& both of you @%^$$@$# that know how to fix it and tell us to send the phone i to you for repair. THis isn't why we come here, we come here for solutions not send in repairs. Go peddle your bullshit somewhere else or post the solution to how you fix these on here! I hope you get electrocuted.

lol...One of them peddled her $@$* all the way up to making training videos with the CEO of iFixit. And by the way, not everyone looking for solutions on here is equipped with thousands of dollars worth of equipment for doing micro soldering...

FYI One of those you refer to above as $#@%#$$#@ actually does give you the information on how to fix it yourself on her youtube channels, she is telling you to send it to her because if you don't have the correct equipment, knowledge, and a really powerful microscope to see the tiny itty bitty little hair thick lines of solder/wire that need to be repaired with a very steady hand inside that screw hole then you are going to save yourself a lot of headaches by sending it to her.. but by all means melt away with the $30 soldering iron you use to wire your car stereo!! she has a video on how to at her youtube channel "iPad Rehab" a simple google search will get you there friend!

O... and one other thing... do 90% of the people coming to see a fix on here don't know what the FL2026 and FL 2024 are either... another reason why they recommend sending in.. The woman you are being an A$$ to is actually one of the front line in fighting for people to have a right to fix their devices themselves instead of needing to go to the Apple Store!

It isn't expensive to do ls computer systems just fiddly to do. After trying 3 screens I have come to the conclusion this is a board issue. This isn't always the case. Sometimes resetting by holding the power and home button on will reboot, try another screen, try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, try dfu mode and restore. If all of these fail it has to be a board issue. I am in the process of learning to micro solder. To all who can do it I respect the effort you have put in to learn it. It's not so easy to do do compared to the huge components on a nokia 3310.

Try holding your phone under a light/lamp to see if the Apple logo appears faintly - the backlight might have gone out but you should still be able to see the logo with enough light.

I can see the apple logo what do I need to do to fix this issue?

I have exactly this, i can see really slightly the apple logo and then the lockscreen but can't fix it, i just changed the screen and it didn't work ... This problem appear with no reason without any crash or anything it's really strange, do you know how to solve it please ? Thanks a lot for your help

Xavier

I don't have an "answer" for you but I can confidently say it's not a backlight or damaged motherboard issue. i've been getting this a lot lately on iPhone 6 screens.

I believe the LCD/Digi flex cables are extremely sensitive to their bend and the position of the "flappy part" that goes under the home button connector shield.

in my experience once the phone "doesn't like" whats going on you get the black image (sometimes a backlight, sometimes nothing) and restarting, disconnecting battery, resetting connections, clapping your heals together, etc, all do nothing to get the phone to boot up again. re-connecting the original broken screen will result in a perfectly functioning iPhone again. and the real head scratcher is that the screen that "doesn't work" will work perfectly in the next phone and even the same phone 10 minutes later.

some insight to this now common issue would be great, if you read through the latest questions in the iFixit iPhone 6 area there are A LOT of people having this problem. maybe there's a larger number of poor screens coming from overseas recently?

late to the thread, but you just described my situation to a tee.

so i actually just worked on the device that was good giving me this exact issue. i put the new lens assembly on with only the two flat connectors attached to the motherboard. i then unplugged the battery and while it being unplugged from the board i connected a charger to the device and everything fired up perfectly - probably the worst way to go about fixing the issue but i've actually had quite a bit of success with this method when a phone is not behaving the way it should.

Hey Steve B! I tried doing the same thing by connecting only two ribbon cables. The apple logo shows up for 25 seconds then turns back off (it's alternating) however connecting four ribbon cables still showing black screen. Any other ideas?

Check the back light filters FL2025, FL2024, FL2026, if any sign of damaged or burn replace them. you can find them around display connector( near BS 2503)

I have missing FL2024 after knocking it off board. Can i find this filter on iphone 5 or 5s motherboard to use in replace of missing filter . Thank you.

Its 0.8 ohm 0.2A

you can order the correct part online : check the item as (FL2024 240 0.8ohm 0.2A )

There are same filters on iPhone 5 5s. For example iPhone 5s find FL24s

I have a iPhone 6 Plus screen replacement lcds come on but no display just sits back screen with the lcds on plugs in makes sound tried soft reset hard reset restoring I haven't screwed down the plates yet so no long screw damage been sitting without a screen for about 2 months

i can take a look if you want 100% i can help you repair your issue. shoot me an email. onnight1 at hotmail dot com

thanks

I can fix this problem at the best price guaranteed! feel free to contact me through www.Malibuphonedoctor.com!

I am a mobile phone technician. this happens on a regular basis when an esd strap isnt used, my theory is a static build up in the phone through handling. The fix is easy... disconnect the battery, remove all lcd connectors (prox sensor,backplate (where applicable) and lcd connectors. while the battery and connectors are still disconnected hold the power button for 20 seconds and release it. (this drains any static in the system). Finally connect all connectors for the lcd and reconnect the battery. If the lcd is in working order it should power on once again.

Thank you , someone who is being helpful. I will try this shortly and post if it works.

This did not work for me :(

Hello, this guide will help you troubleshoot your problem: How to Fix iPhone Wont Turn on after Screen Replacement

I have problem with new screen too. I bought it on Ali its not original. After detaching old one I tried the new screen if it is working and it was, so i turned the phone off, detached the screen, replaced home button, frontcam flex and other stuff from old to new screen. Connected all cables from screen to mainboard, placed shield over connectors without changing screw lenght, assembled whole phone and then nothing, i cant turn it on, no vibrations even when charger was plugged but itunes recognizes phone and shows, that its locked and neet to unlock with screen password. I was mad about what happend, so i tried to put old screen back and it turns on, vibrates and voice control works (i cant see nothing but backlight on screen because it was damaged after fall) I havent detached battery when replacing new screen, may I shorted the backlight circuit so it will work with new screen? Thanks for respond and sorry for bad english.

hi, this describes what sounds like my same issue. Did you manage to find a solution

Hello every one,

well, I do have an iphone 6 plus 64gb, it used to give me no service all time long, I do change the signal box on the board, on an iphone 6 work normaly, but in mine it gives me black screen when I put the screen connecting the digitizer, when I unplug it screen turn on normally...........

could someone seen this before, and what did you do to get ride of the not working digitizer or black sreen when the digitizer is connecting?

Hi all!

Have the same issue iPhone 6, powers on, no problems, can use it for hours, suddenly LCD goes black. Backlight is still on. I tried to provoke the failure by giggle the flex when the device powers up normally (once in a while) and, yes, the LCD goes black..

Now, it's a brick. The shield below the connectors goes hot during testing..

Appears on all screens connected, the cracked original, and the ali-screen..

I really dont care about the phone, I just want to know how to fix it for the sport... :D

I have not yet replaced the PCB LCD connector, all pins are ok.

Stian, Porsgrunn

I also have the same issue with the screen being black. It is a 6s and i have recently replaced the screen and lcd. Everything is connected fine, but cannot see anything. I can feel it vibrate and turn on , even vibrate when i call the phone. Knowing the phone is working, but the screen shows nothing. Once i connected the charger and there was a second of image on the screen but went black again. Shortage maybe or something else?

Kris it sound like to me you blew out the backlight filter. If you did not disconnect the battery while doing the repair this is the problem. On the 6s the LCD connector has a constant 4 volts even when it's locked and the 4 volt pin is right next to ground. I would suggest finding someone with micro soldering experience.

If you have lcd black after indtalation or digitizer stops working, place metal shild under flex not on top.

Arsen A will be eternally grateful.