4

hagar24
109

Why does my iphone keep restarting?

My iPhone won't startup and the computer won't see it. It was sitting for a few months and then started doing this.

What could be wrong?

Edited by: ABCellars, Richdave, and oldturkey03 ( ) , Kyle Wiens ( )

I would agree with you except that I had mine in the house at room temperature all the time and then put it on the computer to update it and the computer could not see it, I also just learned something interesting, my daughter said that she pressed erase all contents and settings,so now I have a new problem because I don't know what that does.

hagar24,

I suggest making this a comment instead of an answer.

Nat Welch,

I'm facing the same issue with my iPhone, I've restored several times. once I restore my iPhone, it works fine for few hours, but again get restart and so on. anybody can help me to setup???

tanveer,

it sounds like the battery..as most of these answers say. Links for parts and guides are under the photo of the phone. You need to make sure you order the right parts for the right phone!

pollytintop,

i have the same problem of auto restating my phone. it started when i tried to jailbreak it. i think this "iphone auto restarting"problem have some connection with the crashed ios or crashed baseband.

nafees69,

6

Skippy722

It sounds like your battery has gone bad.

Edited by: Nat Welch ( )

Would this affect it even if it were plugged in?

Sterling Hirsh,

Yes even when it's plugged in it would show the battery with no charge and then as soon as the charge came up it would start to cycle apple screen and spinning as if it is starting but would cycle and start again

hagar24,

5

OPK
73

You need to do a DFU Restore,

1. Connect the device to your computer

2. Shut down the device

3. Press the Power and the Home buttons at the same time

4. After 10 seconds release the Power button but continue holding the Home button

until you see a popup from iTunes saying "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode"

5. If you have been successful your device screen will be completely black/blank (this is 'DFU Mode')

6. You can now proceed and restore to the latest firmware using iTunes

This should fix your problem

Your computer will see the device when it enters DFU, DFU is burnt into hardware you will always be able to use DFU Mode to recover your device. I suggest you try it instead of discounting things you obviously know nothing about. peace :)

OPK,

yes, to comment would be good except > "You need at least 30 reputation to comment!" which is as ridiculous as hagar24 not listening. YOUR COMPUTER WILL SEE THE DEVICE WHEN IT ENTERS DFU MODE I am an iPhone developer and have done this many times ;)

OPK,

Maybe I should just send you the phone then and you can fixit so we don't have to keep doing this!!

hagar24,

If you can not manage to fix it yourself try this guy > http://www.ithinkitsbroken.com/

OPK,

@OPK Tried the restore, and it looked really promising for a good while. I got the connect to itunes graphics on the phone, and itunes recogniced it and I went throught the option. Then it started to go bad. It tried to restore over and over, the phone went blank on each try then displayed the apple logo. After several tries itunes gave up, outputting unknown error 1611, and saying that the iPhone could not be restored. Tried it again, same result.

mortenskogly,

2

Ptr702
635

Something else must have happened to it. What you should do is plug it into your computer, hold down the power and home button and as soon as the screen goes black just hold down the home button for up to 30 seconds, your itunes should finally give you a message and enter restore mode where you can update through itunes and fix any software issues that might be causing this glitch...

I have done this several times but the computer does not see it no matter what I have tried since this started

hagar24,

2

Tyler Bly
774

I was having a very similar problem with my ipod classic a few months back. I had no idea what the problem was and nothing really seemed to be making sense. After some extensive testing and switching out of parts, I found out that it was the hard drive cable that was causing my ipod to continuously restart itself. I think the problem occurred because I left my ipod in my car for a few days and it got excessively hot in there. I imagine your problem is something similar to this.

2

metricwoman
25

I have a son who decided to jump in the pool with his iphone 4 in his pocked. He put it in the rice for a few days and the phone turned on, but it would not charge past 4% and it kept shutting down after a few minutes. I managed to do a backup in itunes, because it will resume after the phone restarts and starts up again (you have to have a lot of patients for this) but it would not restore anything because it kept restarting. Well I ordered a new battery from ipod Battery Depot for $22.94 plus shipping of $5.96, I installed the battery then went into itunes and did a restore from backup and everythings works great now. I am a 69 year old lady, and if I can do it anybody can. Good luck.

2

Old Profile
578
Device Savers

Oh boy this could be a number of issues. I would have to start this with some questions.

What model is it?

Does it hold or show a full charge before restarting or on home screen?

Does it restart back to the home screen? Lock screen? Apple or iTunes logo?

When you plug it in does it show the battery charging or blinking?

Does it reboot only when the charger is plug in or before?

Must you leave it plugged in to function?

Based off the comments above, I would say it is one of 3 thing.

-You need a new battery which is not uncommon for iPhone 5 and below.

-You have a little bit of water damage on the logic board.

-You have a Jammed power button.

-I would normally say charger port to, but you said it was recognizing the charger.

Please send me some answers, I am happy to help!

Now this one is 5 years old.....

haha we are finally seeing the dates lol, thank you O.T.3 ; )

John,

1

David Iwanicki
4k

using a flashlight, inspect the dock connector and headphone jack. There are liquid immersion indicators in both areas, which will turn pink/red if the device has been exposed to excessive moisture. Also look for greenish corrosion on the dock connector pins.

If the battery was the only issue, it would at least give you a low battery indication when connect to power.

If the immersion indicators are still white, try cleaning the dock connector of debris with a SOFT toothbrush and a little compressed air.

1

Nick

I would try restoring the phone in recovery mode. This will not allow you to make a backup, so anything you are not up to date on will be lost. iPhones don't store contacts on the SIM card. They store it in the internal memory.

To do this, plug your phone into a USB port. Then press the power and home button at the same time to reset the phone. Once this is done and at the Apple screen let go of the power button and keep holding the home button. The phone will be in recovery mode.

Edited by: Nick ( ) , Nat Welch ( )

Nothing like good spelling and grammar to make a better answer.

Nat Welch,

1

hagar24
109

I don't think you guys are reading the previous post before you put your suggestions up, you cannot restore a phone if it is not showing up on the computer unless you know something I don't and I am willing to learn so if there is way to get the phone to see the phone that I haven't tried as yet please let me know.

This would be better as a comment than an answer.

Nat Welch,

1

markus weiher

woohooo - who dug that up ?? ;-)

one question to mortenskogly - are you hagar24 ??

(only to figure your initial problem out)

so i try to pick up the pieces and also try to understand the problem:

the phone was longer not in use and when you tried to charge it - it restarted always - thats a typical charging problem: the usb gives only enough power that the phone could start - but not enough to fully boot up, so the battery die within the boot process and the whole problem starts again - this happend with maaaaaany motorola phones in the past - i used a aa battery emergency charger to help normal phones to skip this point and the were able to normally charge within 1h

but the iPhone is different - there is no normal "emergency charger" for it - so i desolder the battery and charge it external, resolder it and everything works.

next point:

restore didn't work

did you tried different software versions for the restoring ?

what software did you have had and what did you try to install ?

there are some "solutions" for the 16xx errors - one that i never tried is this - maybe i should try it on my error 1604/1601 iPod touch

@markus weiher How do you charge the battery when you've removed it? What do you connect to what? I've tried measureing the battery while the phone was connected to a wall charger, but the strange thing is that I get zero volts when measuring between the black and red wire, and about 2.2 volts when measuring between black and white or white and red. Actually, when I measure between white and red the multimeter says -2.2, which is even stranger, as if the battery has "reversed" its polarity. I'm fixing the phone (or trying to) for a collegue, who got it from a guy who had it heat up and die on him, and who swapped the battery himself. Perhaps hi screwed up the soldering. My plan is to find some way to test the battery by trying to charge it outside the iPhone, but I don't know how to do it.

mortenskogly,

Ps, how can I comment on someone elses answer? I only see that option on my own answers. I can't comment on someone elses answer. And no, I am not hagar24.

mortenskogly,

as far as i know - commenting on other postings is possible if your reputation hits a score of 30. do me a favour and open a new topic - that would make it easier to sort out - this one is full and almost to complex to follow - ask your question and we'll find an answer - btw - i think your battery is wrong connected - but that w will find out in the new one

markus weiher,

0

below24
37

As you stated the phone has been sitting around, the battery has most probably completely discharged. If its still under warranty, take it to an apple store for a replacement.

If not its pretty easy to replace your battery yourself.

Or there are companies out there that will do this for you for a fairly small fee.

I can do the replacement of the battery but I am trying to make sure thats the problem first and thats why the computer won't see it and why it keeps restarting.

hagar24,

0

joe
1

The Solution is:

1- Remove the SIM card from your mobile

2- Enable the (3G & cellular Data)

3- Add the SIM card again.

4- Now .. it will working fine.

Also you can Disable the (3G & cellular Data)

0

omqboy98
1

wat does it mean when your iphone just show the apple screen and then just reshow the apple screen but when i plug it up it on charger it stays on but when i take it off the phone goes off

This Month: 1,784