0

Alex
31

Can I insert 16Gb RAM into MacBook Pro early 2011?

Apple says that I can upgrade my RAM from 4Gb to 8Gb (2x4Gb RAM's). Is it possible to install 2x8Gb DDR3 SoDIMM 1333MHz cards into my Mac?

Thank you in advance!

May I add another question in this topic ? I have installed 16 gb ram in my macbook. It works fine, except for when I try to run windows 7 Pro in bootcamp. It comes to the login screen then it stops. sometimes it just comes to a white screen. I think win pro7 can handle 192 gb ram so what can be the problem? Can it be the memory model ? I bought Crucial DDR3 16GB 1333MHz SODIMM for Mac.

Edited by: npcekberg ( ) , Alex ( )

Sorry to be digging up old posts, but i am wanting to upgrade my mbp to 16 gb and want to know if all the ram will be recognised. I have searched the web to the ammoumt i am capable of and can find a clear answer anwhere . Thanks

Tekone,

Hey guys, I have an early 2011 15 inch Macbook pro and I've upgraded it to 8Gb ram (2x4Gb RAM's). Apple says "4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 8GB" from this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp620 Is it possible to upgrade from 8 to 16Gb? I know this post has been answered and have said 'yes we can upgrade to 16gb', not so in those words but you get it. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks. Arjun

Arjun,

Arjun - For future reference you posted a Question in the place where only Answers belong. Please use the add comment link to the appropriate Answer or Start your O.Q.. All 011 models can run 16GB RAM it is not supported buy Apple, but, it works.

machead3,

1

machead3
99k

Yes.

If this answer was helpful please remember to return an mark it Accepted.

1

Eld Mujollari
13

yes.

there is no problem.

1

Milan
13

Yes it's possible. Only be careful with the brands. Not all brands will work perfectly. I had some cheapo's working perfectly and had some not working at all.

1

Brian Smith
13

For all of your wanting to upgrade to 16BG of RAM ... DON'T! Why, not because the machine won't accept it, because it will and if you have a good brand it will work fine and recognize it, even though apple has clearly stated that it 8Gb is the max. However, most people believe that a slow computer is due to memory, which is a factor but upgrading to 16gigs is only going waste your money, 8GB is plenty unless you plan on running 5 virtual machines all at once, unlikely. You might want to consider other factors like your graphics memory, in which you can upgrade because it is in the chipset, and harddrive speed. Sometime your graphic memory is overload, seeming how it is only 256MB compared to the 2.2GHz MacBook Pro (MC723LL/A) early 2011 version that has 1GB of graphics memory. Then you harddrive, it may be bombarded with so much data of music files and video files that it can't even find what your looking for in time. Consider these before spending wasted money of Memory Upgrade. You really won't see a big different going to 16GB of ram memory.

Brian, I do agree with part of your statement '8GB is enough for most people'. I do take exception on your remark on Apple clearly stated 8GB is the limit. Apple's limit is based on day one of the models history not what memory modules came out later. While it's true Apple has not gone back to test the newer memory modules others have. In addition, some systems (Core2 Duo) do have a limit due to the CPU and the memory controller logic used in them. Systems that can address more memory (i3/i5/i7) and the most current OS-X can leverage it. The last piece here is the application: not all apps can use all of this memory (nor need it). Running different applications concurently can allow each running app all the memory each require. Having a single app having the ability to access all of this higher amount of RAM would need to be verified by that given app vendor. As an example CadCam can leverage this added RAM.

Dan,

VM's only confuses the issue here as the the memory limit of the VM's OS would need to be factored in and lastly, the number of VM's and why you are using VM's. Most people using a VM need to run Windows or UNIX/Linux to gain access to a given app and then the same story applies what is the limit of the OS & the app per that given VM. Then the CPU, storage (HD/SSD) and/or network performance becomes the performance limit. The GPU is only reflecting the systems ability to process. So a bogged down system will encounter issues independent of the amount of RAM it has. People fail to consider all of the pieces and the balance of each element that makes a computer. Which is the bottom line here and I do agree with you on that point as well.

Dan,

0

8TzuR
1

I have a early 2011 macbook pro 15" 2.0Ghz and I installed 2 8GB Corsair modules and it recognizes and works. But I have not, at all, noticed any improvement in the performance :-( I think If you upgrade to 8GB will do the trick.. It fews like the machines just won't use all of it. I don't know, maybe it did and I haven't noticed.

Putting 16GB of RAM in a computer is not like dropping a 600HP Hemi in a car… It's more like adding a towing package to a car, truck or SUV… if you're already pulling a big load a tow package (e.g. more RAM) helps get the job done more efficiently. Does that make sense? If you were not using processor intensive applications (Applications used in content creation applications like PhotoShop, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro) before the switch, then no you'll not notice a change after. RAM determines how many applications and how much data the Mac can keep track of without having to read from or write to the storage medium (access VMEM which slows a process down). The speed of e-mail or web browsing… or playing music will not noticeably change after Maxing RAM. The machine is already running those Apps as fast a human can detect, and the App allow.. those uses simply don't benefit from having 16GB RAM.

machead3,

0

jkingsnorth
89

Yes you can. Also you can always check on Kingston's website. It lists what the max memory is by machine selection.

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search...

Edited by: jkingsnorth ( )

0

npcekberg
1

I started windows with my old 4GB memory and changed the boot configuration with msconfig.

I typed it in manually to the max memory 16384 MB and saved the settings. Then I turned it off and inserted the 16GB RAM again.

Then it started but when looking at the properties of my computer it says 16 GB installed but I can only use 2,16GB. So I opened msconfig again and changed the settings once more and restarted.

Now it says 16 GB installed. Strange... but as long as it works I'm happy :-)

Thanks and best Regards

Edited by: Dan ( )

Please post your note here: Can it be the memory model as your question was spun off.

Dan,