Hybrid laptop/tablet manufactured by Microsoft. Released October 2015. Model 1703.

Can my power button be replaced?

The power button on my Surface Book is permanently depressed; it won’t “spring back”. So, I can’t power on my computer. Using a butter knife, I was able to pry open the bevel where the power and volume button sits, and am able to turn on my computer in this way. I chatted online with a Microsoft support person, then called support twice, then took the Book into a Microsoft Store, all with the same result - I need to pay $599 to receive a refurb tablet to replace the one with the broken power button. They would not even acknowledge the ridiculousness of spending $600 to fix a broken piece that costs about $.01. For now, I can turn the laptop on with the butter knife and a paper clip, but would prefer to replace the power button. I haven’t been able to find this piece or information about this looking elsewhere online. Suggestions?

Also, any suggestions about a consumer protection place where I could lodge a complaint against MS?

Jason, I am curious if you can send me more detailed instructions on how you were able to get to the power button. I have the same problem. Thanks!

mnighten@pld.com

Most Helpful Answer

Due to the closed nature of Surface component supply chain and the low overall volume, nobody sells the power button flex, even in China where you can almost find anything for Apple parts.

There is no way other than replacing the microswitch on the flex, or pay Microsoft to fix this.

Microsoft does not seem to have violated any contractual obligations here, this is a legal void. Join the right to repair movement and change the law is the only valid way.

Welcome to an new understanding of the "Wide World of Corporate Greed"

Here's how to fight

https://ifixit.org/right

I have searched the entire web for a replacement for the power button but came up empty. Apparently Microsoft is insisting that I pay some huge bucks for a new refurbished system.

Jason Den will be eternally grateful.