PC

Find solutions to your computer repair questions.

Does any one know of a Windows version of Carbon Copy Cloner?

Hi, Just completed my latest build and would like to find a Windows version of Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the hard drive. Ralph

sorry ralph, CCC is a mac only program.

windows is not able to read the mac partition/formatting without extra tools.

the only useful program to access mac files on a windows system is transmac (i used it to modify my setup dvd in order to setup 2 of my hackintoshes (asus eee 1005ha and vaio p11z)

maybe clonezilla could do the clone job

Looks interesting Markus--just might work. I appreciate that CCC is Mac only -thats why I'm looking for something similar for Windows. Thanks for the lead. Ralph +

by rj713

argh - wait, i think i misinterpreted something - you want to clone a windows partition - right (i think i should go to bed - i'm almost 20hrs up and had no coffee the last 5hrs ;-) )- cloning windows will work with clonezilla - but it will only work for computers with same/similar hardware - but i think you knew that already

by markus weiher

But that only applies because of drivers, correct? If you deactivate (or just leave it alone) the old drivers, and load the new ones shouldn't it work? I've pulled HDDs from computers and put them into others and it was a tad bit slower but I just needed to install drivers and it was good to go!

by Gabe

Hi markus, Thanks for the info. I may decide to hack this unit--if I do can I pick your brain off forum on the subject? If yes I will find some way to get you my email address. Ralph

by rj713

hi gabe, yes - it's a driver issue - but there are some windows live usb/dvd systems - sometimes pretty useful. hi ralph - no problem - my adress is markus.weiher@gmail.com

by markus weiher

Most Helpful Answer

Shadow Copy Cloner, available from www.goldentroutsoftware.com, will clone your Windows system partition to a partition on a second disk on a PC. In the event of a disaster, you can install the clone in your computer and boot it. It appears to be modeled after Carbon Copy Cloner, so it might be what you are looking for.

It would appear this program may do what I want. Thanks

by rj713

This is a valid answer

by rj713

+ agree with rj valid answer

by mayer

why are we voting on this then? seems it answered your question...

by pollytintop

ABC - you voted to remove this as not an answer

by mayer

Norton ghost and internet security suite have this ability too. If you have comcast you should get norton iss for free. Goto comcast.net login, goto security.

rj713 will be eternally grateful.