I see a charging symbol, but the battery percentage is not increasing.

My iPhone 5 was working properly for more than 1.5 years. Now, I'm having a few problems with it. I will explain the problems one by one, after doing all the diagnosis I can on my end:

• When I charge my iPhone, it shows the battery percentage indicator, but the battery percentage doesn't increase.
  • The charge indicator will stick on the number that's currently on the display.
  • After restarting the phone, I see the battery percentage increase—but this doesn't work every time.
  • Sometimes the phone charges properly, but I have to face this issue most of the time.
  • When I do a hard reset (home+power button), the battery percentage drops from around 25% to only 8%.
  • When I try to connect my phone to my PC, the phone restarts again and again.
  • Sometimes, when I use my phone while charging, the battery percentage will not increase.
  • When I charge my phone with the battery below 10%, the phone restarts again and again.
  • Sometimes, when the battery is totally dead and I try to charge it, the phone won't start, and it will only show the red indicator on the screen.
  • I've been facing this issue for the past week. My phone is currently on iOS 7.1.1.
  • When the phone gets to 100% charge, it does not show the full charge indicator on the battery.
  • I need to unplug and connect a few times to make the iPhone connect to iTunes, but iTunes works fine on the phone.
  • The phone has never been repaired before.
  • I've tried changing the charger and cables. I've also recalibrated the battery and performed a restore, but that didn't fix the problem.

Is this issue due to a bad battery, or is there some problem with the phone's logic board?

Mine does the same thing but I have a wall plug that lights up when my phone is charging so if I plug my phone in and it doesn't light up I can usually shake my phone a little and then it will light up but today I can no longer get my plug to light up so now I don't have a clue if my phone is really charging or not

Omg my battery says it's charging but it's already 100%. I know it is but it keeps saying it's only 99%. I really need help.

UPDATE TO MY LAST COMMENT:

It SOMETIMES charges to 100% and sometimes it doesn't. I mean, it's fine by me because some people have a problem that it doesn't charge anymore so if it is dead then it will never be able to work again. I'm just happy it can charge.

i have iphone 4s, when i was update my phone ios 8, after this my phone is not charge properly, bacttery backup is very less, battery charge up to 65% only. please suggest what i can do for this. please help me.

My iPhone 5c won't charge properly it'll show the charging thingy on the screen but won't turn on. And when it does turn on it'll go from 8% to 1% and die instantly and it will keep doing this for hours. Then when it does charge properly the battery dies really fast. Help?

The problem is definitely in the gas gauge line between the logic board and the battery.

This could be a failed battery—and if there were no prior repairs, this is most likely.

The most common cause if the phone has been opened, is a missing FL 11 on the logic board. The FL 11 is a tiny component that commonly gets knocked off when people connect or disconnect the battery.

There is also a chance that you could have a secondary defect in the U2 charging IC, which is sporadically charging the battery—but this is secondary to your gas gauge line defect. It's also possible that there's a secondary defect in the charge port itself.

Apple diagnostics won't help you—they will just show how many amps the phone is consuming while charging, which won't help you to narrow down between these possibilities.

Your troubleshooting process should look like this:

1.) Replace the battery.

2.) If the problem isn't solved, look for the FL 11 on the logic board and send the phone out for repair if it's missing.

3.) If this doesn't resolve the problem, replace the dock connector.

4.) If the problem still isn't solved, send the phone out for a U2 IC chip replacement on the logic board.

iPhone 5 Battery Image

Guide

How to replace your iPhone 5 battery

Difficulty: Moderate15 minutes - 1 hour

The best answer that make sense. Process of elimination. The only way to diagnose.

Rehab is my fav person, very smart lady, thanks for the tips. Rehab rocks

Im facing the same problem, Battery percentage won't increase but the phone shows charging symbol.

This was helpful, Thanks.

A major reason for the iPhone 6s battery problem is, not using the apple certified power adapter and the lightning cable that comes along with the box.

I found a usefull article here

http://bbcpak.com/2016/09/iphone-6s-batt...

Many users who downloading the software update over wi-fi found their phones becoming completely useless. After installing the software, instead of their iPhone or iPad automatically turning back on with iOS,,,,

Here I found a usefull article on IPhone IPad Can’t Update apps

http://bbcpak.com/2016/09/fix-iphone-ipa...

It sounds like the problem is the FL11 module on the logic board. It's easy to damage this module while disconnecting the battery from the logic board. I've included a photo for reference.

Confirm that these modules are in place.

If they are missing, you must replace them. This job should be done by a professional, since the logic board is easily damaged.

Here is another thread referring to this issue:

Capacitor replacing on iPhone 5

this is the best answer on here for the specific problem the OP has

Replace the lighting dock that's the problem

That's not the problem at all

Have you changed the dock?

The charger works fine on other phones, just not mine

The charging port on the phone needs changed not the actual charger

The charging port works just fine. It connects with my phone and shows it's charging, it just doesn't charge

Nitin Sharma, the way to proceed would be a new battery first, if that does not work replace the lightning connector. If even that should fail, you are having problems with the coil on your logic board.

So can the coil on the logic board be fixed?

Well it's never the coil! But otherwise, this answer is good. If it's not a bad battery, then FL 11 on the logic board and possibly also U2 charging logic ic are the candidates. Yes these can be replaced.

+1 for never the coil, but the answer is still worth an upvote. If its neither the FL11/Dock/battery itself (even if the battery has been replaced, as a good majority of replacement batteries have bad gas gauge ic's), its going to be the U2. its incredibly common for this to fail in the iphone 5 (the 1608A1 was the first revision of the lightning/USB logic ic), especially with the user of aftermarket chargers.

This does sound more like a gas gauge/SWI/FL11 issue though

Try this - Check your serial number here to see if it qualifies for the Battery Replacement Program:

https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-ba...

I could certainly be wrong here, but it sounds like you've burned through a great deal of the battery and it's remaining life is dismal and the phone is working improperly because of it. I had similar issues with a 4S iphone. Take it in to Apple and have them external test the phone and it's battery (they have a diagnostic app that works great... I have it as well, it will tell them everything you need to you know).

Here's the virtual concierge to save you a little time setting up an appointment (if you're US-based):

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/logi...

I am from India, So cant test that. Although the phone is not purchased from India, so the Apple repair center will not look into my phone. Does replacing the battery with new one will solve the problem?

There's certainly no guarantee... especially since I can't test it in person. But it would be on my "triage" list of items to attempt to fix the problem. Given this, "-sometimes when i put my phone on charging when the battery is below 10% then, the phone gets restart again and again." that you indicate...

Take a look here... and iPad that was rebooting non-stop and solved with battery replacement. Sounds like you're suffering from similar issues, and the battery solved their issue:

iPAD does not power on, reboots every 7 seconds

You can get the replacement battery fairly cheaply... so for me, I would go ahead and do that. It's over a year or a year and a half old, yes? My experience is that usually iphone batteries lose their effectiveness after roughly 2 years (depending on the usage --- I myself go through my iphone batteries about once a year).

Thank you soo much. Will try with the battery replacement first. I have a huge log of error reports in the diagnose. Might be regarding all these issues. Will replace battery and let you know the output. Thank you once again.

m also suffering by the same problem , mine iphone is also not showing the battery percentage right

I'm charging my IPhone 5s for 11 minutes, but the percentage is still at 1%. I tried putting it on airplane mode but it still will not change the number of the percentage of my IPhone's battery. What should I do?

Did you solved it?

I got a replacement lightning jack and battery from iFixit about 2 months ago. The jack wasn't making a good connection (had to wiggle the cable to get it to charge) and the battery would die in under 24hrs. The replacement went fine but about a week ago my phone started doing this too. It was charged over night and in the morning is still stuck at 21%. In the past unplugging/plugging back in a couple times has gotten it to recognize it is fully charged. Today I'm not having any luck. I'd hate to hear that I have to replace both parts again, especially so soon. Hopefully someone finds a definitive fix.

I put my old battery back in the phone to test if this was being caused by either the replacement lightning jack or battery I bought from iFixit. The old battery didn't hold a charge well, which is still the case, but it charges normally. From this I've determined the replacement battery I got from iFixit failed about 3 months (I checked the shipping dates) after I installed it. I'm happy that I won't have to take the phone apart again to replace the jack but I'm really disappointed in the new battery.

lmaooooooooooo ayooo but answer ever i swear

It's the port.

It expands sometimes when you jam the in the lightning charger...initially probably due to lint...by the time you figured out it was the lint, the port has expanded from repeated abuse.

I changed my phone but before doing this, I charged it one last time to sync and get my data out. How? Don't try this at home but I placed 2 small folded napkins on the front and back of the phone so as not to damage it, placed the charger in, then placed the phone in a vice over the area of the charger and CAREFULLY increased the pressure until the phone started charging. Very clumsy short term solution but it worked for me to get one last charge!

TK

its not the port

I have an iPhone 6 and struggled with this all night last night. Just wanted to share my solution- the charger and wall plugin that I received FROM Apple is apparently defective. Right before this started to happen I got a 'this device may not be supported blah blah blah'. It charges it but very, very slowly. Just to give you guys an idea of how slow, it took over an hour to get it from dead to 1%. Just as a side note, the cord and wall plugin I received FROM APPLE have no cosmetic wear or tear on them (outside covering it not ripped, no exposed wires, etc.) so I am assuming it's something inside the cord that is causing the issue?

Just thought I would share as I tried everything before I was able to get my hands on a new charger but nothing worked. So frustrating!! Good luck to everyone else!! Hopefully it is something as simple and cheap as replacing the cord!

You ned to replace the battery of your phone... had the same problem and i replaced my batt and its working again. Iphone 5

Does the Iphone restore or whatsoever?

I had/have the same problem. But my solution may not possibly be yours. My problem was an extra charger I took from my sister (ok, maybe stole, since I visited from out of state) the charger head itself was the dysfunction. Looking closely, one of my prongs was scruffed up noticeably. So you may want to check and clean yours. Sometimes plugging on one side, I could hear the charging sound over and over. So I plugged it in reversed and seemed to work fine. But I'm not going to risk waking up to an almost dead phone that is also my alarm! So I had my original charger that works just fine. You may want to clean your port from time to time to get debris from being in your pocket or just from sitting out all day. I now have a habit of blowing the port every other time I pull my phone out of my pocket or even before I go to plug the charger in. Good luck!

This is a fairly old thread so I'd be correct in assuming, Nitin Sharma, that you have already solved your problem. However, I want to confirm for anyone else who finds this thread while in a desperate search through the world wide web in an attempt to find out what is wrong with their phone; THE BATTERY IS THE PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.

Whoa, typing in all caps there makes it look like I was shouting my head off or something. Anyways. My iPhone 5 running jail-broken iOS 8.4 was having almost word for word the exact same problems as what Nitin Sharma described . I took it to a certified apple distributor (I live in Bolivia) and had them simply replace the battery. Since getting my phone back the frequent rebooting issue has disappeared, the battery has been charging without problem, and hard-restarting the phone causes no drop in battery percentage. I have only had it back for a short time, but all appears to be ship-shape.

FOR FELLOW JAIL-BREAKERS. If you have an iPhone 5 that is one of the battery recall phones, Apple will not replace your battery for you if your phone is jailbroken. Period. (trust me on this one, before I came to Bolivia, I tried to trick them into thinking my phone wasn't jailbroken so they would replace my battery for me for free. It didn't work. As I just found out, they apparently caught me and simply gave me the phone back without replacing the battery. Jerks.) It will save you grief if you give in and un-jailbreak your phone to have the battery replaced and re-jailbreak it afterwords. Restoring all your tweaks and settings isn't a problem. Using iExlorer and a couple tweaks, you can back up all your cydia downloads and their settings/data to your PC or Mac. Instructions on how to do this here: http://jaxov.com/2011/03/how-to-copy-bac...

Battery replace is not the only solution, you should rephrase saying it is a solution that solved YOUR problem. My battery now charges %100 fine ever since I started using my original charger. From the charger I was using, it was a scruffed up prong that gave it a false charge but no power pushing through. Just sayin, there are other solutions to the same problem. Good luck

there is small IC with battery connector need to be fix it work 100%

Is a problem but the easier way to manage is to charge your dead phone and once it comes on switch it off after some minuits like 15 to 20 switch it on and unplug it immediately wait for a minimum of 5 minute to 7 minute (don't press it within this Minuit) after the stated time U can now plug in your charger and can start using the phone. Your battery will still be stucked at whatever % but this will eliminate off and on. Note anytime you switch it on always wait for the stated time else it will trip off and on. I have used mine for more than 7 months like this. Works

This trick actually works. It solves the constant restarting problem when I tried to charge my phone.

iphone 4 charging sowing but notchrging

Battery charging connector on logic board not screwed on properly or needs replacing because delicate soldered connections become loose or break off on replacing battery,

Thanks Martin j

Mine does the same today i dropped it and the screen protector was broken but the phone is still perfectly working just the charging is problem when i put it on charge it was completly dead and i waited for 30 minutes to turn on and then it said 22 percent i unplugged it and i used it until 1 percent and now it says that its charging but the battery wont increase i dont know what is the problem

Heres an idea to anyone who ever sees a problem with their phone. Just buy a new one its fast and easy

Why don't you buy me one jackass?

none of the above answers are correct. i tried wiggling my charger and it works sometimes. I happen to shake my phone regularly and slowly place it on the table to let it charge.

LOL. Certified on Mac and iOS device repair here for a few years now... not speaking to anyone else's comments but my own: My feedback was instincts and recognizing repeat device issues. I'd need to see the phone in question before the "issue" is totally definitive. Regardless, I've provided an accurate suggestion of issue. Thanks

You might as well wriggle your tigger you tossed,I l phones are like a woman make sure All comments ere fitted secure, battery screws clips etc and fit a NEW CHARGING PORT WITH CABLE,SCREWS AND CLIPS--PROB SOLVED M,J

- when I charge my phone the iphone shows the battery percentage indicator but the battery is not increasing.

- when I charge my phone the iphone shows the battery percentage indicator but the battery is not increasing...I have changed different charging port but still not working...You answered me to charge your phone without switching on..Are you sure it will work after ?

You have "fake charging" this is a different problem. What type of iPhone is this?

I have the same problem (with my iPhone 6). Screen indicating charging (but too low battery to start phone), but the battery never gets sufficiently charged so I can start my phone (this is a brand new ifixit battery, but when I put back my old battery I have the same problem).

change battery and it will fix it it helped for me.iphone 5s. good luck

Hello. my i5s is stuck at 25% the battery and cant charge to 100% and die under 1 hour. You had the same problem and a battery replacement fix this problem? Thanks

^^that scenario is most likely U2 chip

i have the same problem but on an iphone 4s

i took my iphone 4s to a professional and they firs changed the charging port but it didnt work then they changed the battery too but it diidnt also work then they told me to restore my jailbroken phone and still it doesnt work. ive changed chargers,i reset a million times and the problem is still there and now it wont turn on and so i wont have a phone for some time . someone please help me.

Its simple, only change your battery.

It sounds like Bad Chinese battery.

This happened to me, and that was my solution

Good luck

I change my battery on my iphone 4 . one mounth he works fine but today when i discharge it it wont charge up i unconnect the battery and connect it back and then it charge up i take it offf from the charger and now when i put it back he show when its charging but battery dont charge or disscharge but when i unconnect it disharging what i need to do ? my English sucks i know :D

In this scenario, most likely case is bad dock connector. But there are other board-level causes of "fake charging" in iPhone 4 which could also be the case

My phone did pretty much everything your (Nitin) phone did.

When my 64G iphone5 first started acting weird 2 days ago, it was around 47%, so I rebooted it, when it came back up it showed something like 2% --like it lost all of its power during the reboot. Then it started with the 2 minute reboot loop. I was able to connect to my windows pc and get my photos off of it, around 200 at a time depending on the size of the item, as it would reboot. After I got my photos off (I chose the delete after upload checkbox). I powered off the phone and ignored it. The next day (about 12 hours later), when I powered it on it showed 17%, and I was successful in getting it to perform a backup and a sync... all with 17% showing.. Being that it still wasn't charging normally (usually it charges FAST in airplane mode!), and it had 8.4.1 already downloaded and ready to go, I also successfully upgraded it to 8.4.1 from 8.4.0 When I rebooted after the upgrade, it showed about 8%. It went down from there, did a reboot loop thing after I moved it the wrong way, and then stabilized at around 2%.

Error report shows about 20 CRC error reports.

One more thing, If I shake my phone, something moves inside it, I know this is not normal, something came unglued. Also, I did not expect there to be ANY free room in the phone for even an unglued board to move around in! I think if I shake it or squeeze it the wrong way, it will start the 2 minute reboot cycle again or at least reboot.

Currently, no longer in the reboot loop, it is showing 2% no matter how long I charge it, but it appears to be working in every other way. In the past, at 2%, it seemed it would turn itself off as soon as I tried to do anything like access the internet. It was 2% last night, 2% am this morning, and currently 3pm 2% today.

I am looking forward to the announcements tomorrow but I am also considering jumping to an Android Sport.

I have the same problem but my phone never charges it keep dropping

Try Switching the charging cord around and plugging it into your device.

That solved my problem 95% of the time

samita NEVER SHAKE YOUR PHONE that can cause other problems

Go to the Apple Store & purchase the original Apple cable & u'll b fine. It happened to me so I know

I had the same problem with my iPhone 5, and I think it was because of the third party charger I was using, then I tried the original charger which I bought separately for $49.99. And now my phone works perfectly fine and the battery lasts longer than before

When I charge my phone the iPhone shows the battery percentage indicator but the battery is not increasing. It will be stuck to whatever the number is on the display of battery

Mine has the same problem , I changed the charge, cable charging, battery, board who have the socket for charger circuit but the problem didn't solve. Until I've got a original battery my iphone has charged normaly.

I thing the new softwer differentiat between the quality of batterie through the curent entrance in charger circuit.

i too have the same problem but I suggests YOU to turn off ur mobile , ifone,tablet or anything it is ,,,, it HELPS i tried it worked......

when I charge my phone the iphone shows the battery percentage indicator but the battery is not increasing.

only change the charging connector strip i facing this problem i change the strip my problem is soled try this thanks

Restore from DFU , 99% of the times it works !

I had the same problem as well, but all I did was just suck out any lint for the charging dock and I'm already seeing some major improvements.

I have had the same situation. All i had to do was cleaned the iphone charging port with alcohol. Got a piece of a very thin cotton, wet with a drop of alcohol and wiped in it. Upon charging, it turned on quickly!

There may be a change that the connector too dirty and leads to this issue. Last month, my iPhone not charging and after cleanning up the connector, everything work fine.

usefulpcguide.com/17814/iphone-not-charging-error-iphone-wont-charge/

I found a usefull article here

I found a usefull article here

I am sure that people posting in the thread above have already got their problem fixed one way or another, but just in case, I hope my solution helps anyone in future to try this before trying anything that causes money.

My charging problem started six months back, when my phone would only charge if I jammed the cable a little hard and very slowly keep it in that position. I bought a new cable and it seemed that the problems were solved. However this cable also started behaving like that after some time. Finally, since this morning it did not charge a single percent even if the icon was on. As I watched with horror the percentage going down with my mind not working also, I started looking for answers and bumped to this thread. I noticed few people have said that sometimes they managed to get the thing done by tinkering with the port and/or the battery.

I thought I would take a close look at the port myself without opening the mobile.

Just took a flashlight and a toothpick, and carefully scrubbed away the dirt, lint and shoot that was there. I could hardly believe the amount that was there (obviously living in the the world's most polluted city 'Delhi' does not help.) After eternal ten minutes I plug my jack in and simply connected so snugly. Instantaneously, the charging starts. To me, my procedure did either one of the following things or both

1. If there is continuous shoot buildup inside the female charging port of the phone, it does not allow the cable to fit properly and there may be an interlock in the battery management software of Apple that prevents the charging because of the loose connection.

2. For charging both the respective metal pins of the charging ports of the phone and the cable should make a proper connection. Now when there is dirt between them, it may create a short between the pins that are not supposed to be electrically connected. Again, there may be a software management that acts just like a safety fuse. So scrubbing the minuscule dirt from the pins and then blowing removes any chances of this short.

Hope it helps. If not you can always go for the battery, the ICs and the other things. It's not for no reason that microelectronics fabrication is done in "clean-rooms" that cause billions of dollars to build and maintain.

P.S. The first cable is now working perfectly as well.

Nitin Sharma will be eternally grateful.

Past 24 Hours: 1,444

All Time: 1,048,026