My phone only charges when its off

Okay so my phone only charges when its off but when it turns on my phone doesn't recognize that its being charged and then it dies. it comes back to life at 4 percent and dies. its not the cord because I've tried it on 2 different phones and it works perfectly fine on the other two. Again my phone only charges when its off but never when its on.

even i am experiencing the same issue.. pllease give me a suggestion how to get rid of this problem

i have this exact same problem! i've replaced both the battery and charging port but that hasn't fixed it. seemingly randomly (maybe 1/20 charge attempts) will charge the phone to 100%. most attempts only charge the phone just enough to turn on (at about 3-5%) and then the phone crashes within 10 seconds of booting up. in case it matters mine is a 5S.

update: i just had a successful attempt and out of curiosity i turned the phone off and then back one and when it came back on it was no longer charging.

I had the exact problem and decided to buy a new charger, which solved the whole problem.

Solved: Need Apple brand charger

I had the same issue and tried 3 different chargers. Come to find out it was cheap generic chargers. Once I tested with an actually Apple charger it worked.

Water damage... Same thing happened to my phone- took it to att and apple who said I could get a new phone under warranty however the charging port has damage. They told me it was not something that could be repaired. My phone only charges when it's turned off as well. My screen needs to be entirely black. When I know its about to die (like at 2%) I'll plug it in to the wall charger, and turn on the flashlight and leave it there. The flashlight drains the rest of the battery and the phone will shut down. At that point..leave it! Don't touch any buttons or re-plug the charger back in to make sure you see a battery symbol, that will prevent the phone from charging to 100%. Just trust that it is charging, even without seeing the battery symbol! The screen should be ALL black. I do this when I'm about to sleep..and when I wake up in the AM, unplug the phone and it's at 100%!!!! Before trying this exact method, I could also only get it to turn on to 2% (or 7%) before shutting off.

Most Helpful Answer

First step is to try another battery. 2nd step is to replace the docking port. One of those should fix your problem

thats the worst advice ever DID you seriously tell him to replace a Iphone battery

@Dean Thompson, absolutely. What do you think is wrong with that answer?

@Dean , You obviously have no idea what you're talking about Dean and the fact that you wrote "a" iPhone instead of "An" iPhone tells me you're about 12. Go and troll somewhere else.

While I agree with Dave and I think Dean is a troll, I think you need to check your grammar before pointing the finger. "@Dean , You obviously have no idea what you're talking about Dean". When you put @dean, we already know who the comment is aimed at.

Dean I have accually fixed this problem myself on a few iPhone 5s with a battery and if that doesn't sort it they try a dock connecter and if neither work it's motherboard issues..

Get your facts correct dean

Before you replace anything, try this Use a toothpick to clean out your iPhone. It might fix your problem.

Please check your serial number here to see if it qualifies for the Battery Replacement Program:

https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-ba...

I have the same problem. My iphone6 does not charge while turn on. I have to turn it off to charge it. This is 23 months old. I tried cleaning charging pins and port, new charging cable and hard re-set. Nothing worked. I visited Apple Service Center and they say, my phone can not be fixed and they need to replace it with a new one. Since it is not under warranty, so I have to pay a huge amount.

Also before going for replacement, Apple store will not help me to back-up and restore my data to new phone.

This is ridiculous. Company like APPLE treating like GOD. No repair of a small problem and simply replacement with huge payment. This is simply another trick to get more money.

Turn on iphone icloud and sign in them click all you want to save . Then go to backup bottom the phone on press backup them wait till lists finish. Go to your new iphone set as a new iphone sign in to your icloud account and choose the back up you have saved .

@joaoverga you do realise he said the phone can't even turn on. right?

and yes, apple is absolutely stupid.

Son's cell did this same thing. Read through all the "didn't work" solutions which didn't for me either.

However, on a goof while it was hovering at 2%, I decided to get into Settings--General--Reset--Reset All Settings. Of course it died mid-reset, but after it came back on & finished, I unplugged & replugged it in while it was still on & it started charging while powered on!

Dear All,

Fault can be occur due to bad battery for faulty charging IC

Beging trubleshoot with battery replacement,

Here you can find the battery replacement guide.

I was having the same problem with my iPhone 7. I have had the phone since October pf 2016, and yesterday it stopped charging completely. I turned my phone off and let it charge last night so that it could come all the way up to 100%. I just went into my settings and reset the Network Settings back to default, and it appeared to fix the problem for me. Not saying it will do so for you, but it might. I had even went and bought a new charger. But it didn't charge my phone and would charge my moms. So I knew then it had to be something with my phone. After researching a little, I seen that resetting the network settings back to default could be a trick to fix it and sure enough, it was. Good luck with you.

Initially as a short term solution: as soon as the battery reached 4% I immediately switched off the iPhone and let it charge while the phone is off. After an hour or so it definitely reached around mid 60s level.

Later I ended up changing the battery and charging strip and now it's as good as new.

Your iPhone requires less power to charge while it is off, than it does to charge and run the phone while it is on. The charger you are using is supplying enough amperage to charge the battery while the phone is off. Once the phone turns on, the current draw is too much for the charger to keep up with, so the phone starts draining the battery again. Apple chargers will not have this problem. Switch to a genuine Apple branded charger and see if you continue to have this problem, it is unlikely you will.

Okay then I've got 2 Apple chargers and they're 10W USB Power Adapters, before my 5S was charging with both but after updating stopped. Same with other ones like 4S's & 4's. Can you explain this? What's the recommended parameters a usb power adapter should have?

Here is a more detailed description of my adapters:

Model: No:A1357 W010A051

10W USB Power Adapter

Input: 100~240V ~ 0.45(0.45A) 50-60 Hz Output: 5.1GV -------- 2.1A

And you checked to make sure that's what you are getting out of them? All I'm trying to do is eliminate the problem that is most likely. Especially considering how few people actually have this problem.

It could be a problem with power PM IC.

Yeah sure that's why one of them it's charging when on but only when connected on to a laptop instead!!

The solution by ""Alyssa d"" works on iphone 4 and possibly other iphones.

When you want to recharge (preferably on low battery, like 5%) connect the power cord and start the flashlight.

Since the phone does not charge when it's on, the flashlight will drain all battery. That will make the phone turn off... so it will start charging! Even when it has enough power, it will not turn on! So it will keep charging to 100%!

The only drawback is that you cannot use the phone during charging.

Thank you so much! It has really saved me from getting a new phone.

I had same problem for a month, today, I reset all of iPhone( erase ), then it began charging needn't to turn it off.

idk mine refuses to charge,sometimes it charges when i decide to use a power bank

Here is how you charge past 5% go to settings> general> Accessiblity >assistive touch on

When your phone turns on keep it on the charger push the assistive touch press device then hold in lock screen until a slide bar comes up slide it and your phone will turn off and continue to charge to turn your phone on unplug your phone and plug it back in (these steps won't let you charge when it is on but will help you get 100% battery when you do charge it turned off)

it is probably about your charger, it wrote " Accessory not supported " to you before, replace your lightning cable.

same problem in my iphone its charge in power off and after 10% charge its on automatically and does"not charge

from the looks of the solutions it sounds like this is a software issue, possibly a virus.. there is no way at all that resetting factory settings would fix the problem if it was hardware related. It isn't water damage because i have the same problem and it happened suddenly and without water contact

When I turn my phone on it won't charge so I turn it off and in a hour I'll check it and itll be charged

Sounds like a bad u2 ic to me, you can try another battery and charge port, but if that doesn't solve it, its certainly the problem, as I see loads of them

Same one needs to get on to Apple case there are the ones making this happening with there new update.

Just shut it off when it turns on and don't mess with it for 2-3 hours

I have the same problem when it comes back alive to 4% you just have to power it off again and wait, it should reach 100%

alondra candelario will be eternally grateful.