Recovering data from flash memory after washing?

Hey guys,

I recently had my Iphone 5 washed. The main worry is that my recent Honeymoon pictures are all on the phone and it has not been backed up on a computer since.

I put it in rice and waited for 3 days before attempting to start it; but it won't start.

I would like to access the pictures stored in the flash memory. As far as I understand the flash memory is located on the logic board. I know how to solder, etc. but do not know which chip is the flash memory or even how to go about getting the data off once I find it.

Does anyone know anything related to the way the data is stored or accessed? Or maybe the chip number could be used to find the data sheet and pins. Is there any way to make connections from the flash memory to perhaps a USB and connect it to a computer to retrieve the data?

Any help or guidance is appreciated. I have called some data recovery people but it will cost $900. For that price I can try it myself.

Thanks,

John

Hi John... I have the same problem.. have you managed to find a way?

Most Helpful Answer

Hi John,

There really isn't a substitute on the iPhone for getting the pictures off rather than getting the phone to boot up and connect to WiFi or dock connector to offload the photos.

Rice doesn't dry phones any better than a few days in the sun would dry a trashbag of wet clothes.

It is entirely possible that with prompt cleaning and a new battery, the iPhone could live again. I just got done doing the same repair for a customer whose iPhone met a caramel latte before she was able to back up her photos from a once in a lifetime trip.

The thing *not* to do is try to power on the phone before its been cleaned. In my customers case, she tried doing this after rice repeatedly, and the end result is that the heat generated from an internal short caused serious damage to the baseband and her phone is now a really nice iTouch.

Start by following a guide to open the phone, remove the logic board, and clean the whole thing with 99% isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush focusing on any corrosion you might see. Unfortunately, most of the iPhone 5 logic board is difficult to access under soldered on shields. A thorough cleaning requires removal of the shields--which can be difficult without bending the board or knocking off components. You may wish to invest in an ultrasonic cleaning machine that may help if you can't get the shields off. Let it dry on its own and reassemble with a fresh battery and see what you get.

Feel free to contact me if you have other questions---I just finished doing a repair just like this tonight!

jessa

THANKS FOR THIS TIP! 99% isopropyl and a brush did the job!!! LCD was flickering but got the touch working well enough to pass security and trust the computer and was able to make a back up!!! I'd also add that compressed air is A MUST!!!

If your iPhone will not boot past the apple logo there is 100% no way recovery software will work don't waste your time and hope

I do hope your iPhone is fine. But to tell you the truth, you'd better take your iPhone to the repair shop first. After your iPhone is repaired and once it can work, you can start to find ways to recover the files you want.

$900 is very very very very expensive!

You can check out different recovery software options for both Windows and Mac.

Good luck!

It is IMPOSSIBLE to extract data in this way. The iphone flash memory is encrypted with AES256, it can only be decrypted by the device-specific CPU on the same logic board.

Your only option is trying to repair the logic board, at least to the level of successfully booting and accessible from USB, then do a backup from your computer. you may need to enter passcode to unlock and decrypt the file system so repairing touch and display function also is recommended.

The $900 data recovery service does the same thing, trying to repair the board.

Had you back up your data, if you had, try to recover it through iCloud and iTunes, or maybe you should get the help of the data recovery toolkit to recover the data from flash memory of your phone after washing.

According to my experience and your information, I would like suggest you to use Android Data Recovery or iPhone Data Recovery from FORecovery to assist you to recover your deleted messages from your iPhone 5, although it is water damaged.

Read the following article about how to do it for more details if you need.

Hoping it will work for you and you could recover deleted messages from flash memory of iPhone 5 after washing.Good luck to you!

$900? Are you kidding me? That's too expensive!!

To recover lost data from iPhone 5, you can simply try the way of using some professional iPhone data recovery tool such as Dr. Fone iOS Data Recovery. You can find the specific steps of recovering lost iPhone data here: How to Recover Deleted Photos from iPhone 5

This always works out and what's better is, it doesn't cost you $900.

Score -1

In your situation, will be able to solve, you can use professional tools for restore, for example, minitool power data recovery, devotes one plate is restored, you can download and try, if you have any questions, please let me know!

Score -1

"devotes one plate is restored?" this makes no sense. I would be extremely skeptical of any "answer" from a user with 1 point that is pointing you toward a so called data recovery software product.

There are various ways to recover data from iPhone:

1. Using iTunes Backup

- Disable automatic syncing in iTunes

- Connect your iPhone to your computer

- Restore the iPhone from a backup.

2. Using iCloud

- Erase your iPhone.

- Select the "Restore from iCloud Backup" option.

- Allow the content to download onto your iPhone.

3. Using Third Party Software

- Download, install, and open data recovery software like Tenorshare iPhone Data Recovery.

Score -1

You can restore iTunes backups to your iPhone at any time. Follow these steps to choose a backup and sync the data to your iPhone.

1. Connect the iPhone to the computer with a USB cable.

2. Open iTunes.

3. If you have a new or erased iPhone, iTunes will prompt you to restore from backup.

4. Otherwise, Control-click on your iPhone under DEVICES in the left menu.

5. Select Restore From Backup...

6. Choose the backup you wish to sync and click the Restore button.

Hope this method can help you recover backup of iPhone. You can have a try!

how to recover lost data from ios device

Score -1

John Bordelon will be eternally grateful.