Model A1312 / Mid 2010 / 3.2 GHz Core i3 or 2.8 & 3.6 GHz Core i5 or 2.93 GHz Core i7

SSD compatibility (Thermal Sensor Connector)

I have a 27" i7 iMac that I bought close to two months ago, and I would like to replace the internal HDD with an SSD, and I have a 2.5" to 3.5" form factor converter. The only thing I have noticed is that there is nowhere on the SSD to plug in the Thermal Sensor Connector. Do I just ignore it? Can I?

This is the SSD that I ordered: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...

I am currently booting off that SSD, which is connected via USB 2.0, and I believe that it's being bottlenecked by USB 2.0.

+ vote for the sheer effort

Won't you get a lot slower bus speeds though, due to using USB over SATA?

I just went ahead and put the SSD in with an ICY DOCK 2.5" to 3.5" HDD adapter. I just left the thermal sensor unplugged, and it works fine—but my computer thinks that the HDD is 128 degrees Celsius... which may or may not be a problem. http://grab.by/4fcM

I used this as the 2.5" to 3.5" converter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...

+ Ralph

OWC now has a cable with heat sensor that is designed to take care of this problem.

It works with iMac because the Mac system and hardware doesn't know that it isn't an Apple drive. OS updates will not affect this setup. I purchased my cable and drive adapter for a 27" mid 2011 iMac. I wanted to replace my standard internal HD with an SSD.

I have an e-SATA to lightning drive bay that will hold both 2.5 " and 3.5 " drives i use for backups and storage. I inserted the new SSD into the dock and formatted it using disc utility. I then used Carbon Copy Cloner.

I then rebooted iMac to the SSD to make shure it was a successful install. I booted up without any problem. Really darn fast load up and apps just cruise. Then i shut off iMac and begin the drive switch.

I watched their install video 2 times then replaced drives as instructed. No problem with the install process. Cable hooked up and sensor placed on the SSD. Reassembled and fired that puppy up and it worked. No worry about speeding fans or other controlling software. No fear of Apple updates messing with it.

This new cable for this is sold only by OWC as they have the sole rights to this cable and they make it themselves. The drive adapter is $35 which you need no matter what and their propritary cable $15.

Worth every darn cent!

Runs at normal speed. The best thing i ever did to this iMac. I have placed SSD in 12 Mackbook Pro's and 7 IMac's and all have worked just great.

Following these instructions, I simply replaced my HDD with an SSD.

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2309 and 2374 Hard Drive Replacement

I simply diconnected the cable that normally connects between the HDD temp sensor socket on the main logic board and the HDD from the HDD, but leaving it plugged into the logic board.

I then stripped a CAT5 cable and cut a short wire out of one of the pairs and made a U shape and ran it in and out of the end of the cable that plugs into the HDD temp sensor location. I then put some electrical tape over it and left it coiled up inside.

My iMac now has an SSD in place of the HDD, and the fans are quiet.

Apparently this is how how Apple does it with models that come only with an SSD.

This was a simple easy fix to the issue. Don't spend any money. A little piece wire is all you need.

I purchased https://www.applecomponents.com/items/00...

which is a Optical Drive Temp Sensor, and it works.. tape it to the HDD just to the upper right of the sata plug on the back of the drive.. on the black aluminum; middle of the drive.(according to seagate, thats the optimal place for a temp sensor) and voila.. the answer..

How I came to this conclusion was, I originally took the optical drive thermal sensor from my ODD and put it on the HDD thinking this should work.. well the HDD temp and fans work perfectly.. and the ODD fan is at full blast.. so I tried to contact APPLE for the replacement ODD temp sensor.. Mistake.. and then I found the Link above.. and used it as a replacement.. TADA!!!

Thanks Nick Butler!

I had a same problem. After installing SSD in my imac 27", HHD fan was running at 4200 rpm. The fan noise was just annoying. I ordered the Optical Drive Temp Sensor from Applecomponents.com and now the fan works perfectly.

SSD Rocks! It's so fast... and I love it!!!

Best $20 fix you'll find ;)

But totally unnecessary since SSDs don't overheat. :P

Its not that its unnecessary.. its required for the fans to function properly..

It's unnecessary because you can just short the connector with a piece of wire, which keeps the fans from going crazy, and won't fry your SSD, because they don't overheat.

I had the same jet-engine-fan problem after an OWC SSD upgrade. ODD fan was going 4000rpm.

I used http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/ and it worked instantly.

Well... almost a good solution ;-{ The rub here is any software solution kills your temp monitoring system so if your system heats up the fan's won't correctly rev up to cool the system down. Basically you're shortening the systems lifespan. Which is why the hardware solution is the better direction.

You're absolutely right, Dan. My fault, I wasn't clear. The software was a temporary bandaid so that I could hear myself think and work until I had time to open the iMac up again.

Today, I solved the fan problem more permanently by taking the thermal sensor off the optical drive I had removed for the SSD and just sticking the sensor back in, attaching it to the SSD. Booted up. Everything is back to normal. Temperatures look good, fan speeds consistent with the temps and no 3rd party software necessary.

So, I'm definitely with you on the hardware solution. Software is a nice temporary patch, hence a free one is best.

Where did you stick the senor tho? ssds dont have a port for it... I however replaced the actual hdd with an ssd, nightmare afterwards, full blast fans, no ssd fancontrol could fix it! i then took the snesor cable from hdd, stripped it, taped the two ends onto the OD, silent! seems hdd sensor now reads heat from od, however, ssd will never get warmer than OD so should be fine?

Hi, is the jumping cable and using the software alternative just as good as buying a whole new temp sensor cable ? . Thanks

You don't jump and use software. Jumping the sensor will "trick" the system into thinking it's running supper cold and keep fan at min. speed. Software solution will bypass the hardware sensor and ask the hard drive, via software, what it's temp is and then adjust the fans. The adapter with the temp-sensor built in would be used if you don't want to try either of the above. It's one of the above, not a combination. You COULD use the jumper with the software, but it's really pointless, you don't need the jumper if you use the software (software will ignore the jumped sensor.

Thanks for the info everyone, I will try out your recommendations:

-Use Icy Box enclosure

-Short the thermostat if needed

-Use free ssdfanctrl software if fans run fast.

I have to say I have bricked (killed) a few iMacs trying to upgrade to an SSD.

Anyone else have the same experience or even a cure as to what the cause of death was :-)

Big B

First you don't need the more expensive icy box to hold the SSD. The standard 2.5 to 3.5 adapter frame is all that is needed. As to the thermal sensor, I use a spare optical drive sensor to use in place of the internal drive sensor found in the HD's.

As this is such an old post most of the info here is very dated. We don't recommend using fan over-ride software as it tends to wear out the fans and/or shorten the systems lifespan. Using a replacement thermal sensor in this model is the best way. You will need to use the current Yosemite version to gain TRIM services which is now built in. You do need to be careful which SSD you buy as this systems SATA ports are only SATA II (3.0 Gb/s). Also make sure you check your systems firmware version and it's at the latest before you start.

Just like to say.....if you leave it up to the system in order to adjust fan speed according to temp.....your GPU will overheat.....and are way worse off....thermal sensors are great so "I" can monitor my temps....fans full speed unless just everyday tasks...full blast even for playing video....imagine letting your engine wear out, because fan optimization was best and your electric radiator fan lasted a lot longer....fans are easy and cheap

Gabe will be eternally grateful.