iMac Intel 27" EMC 2390 Repair

Model A1312 / Mid 2010 / 3.2 GHz Core i3 or 2.8 & 3.6 GHz Core i5 or 2.93 GHz Core i7

SSD compatibility (Thermal Sensor Connector)

I have a 27" i7 iMac that I bought close to two months ago now, and I would like to replace the internal HDD with a SSD, and I have a 2.5" to 3.5" form factor converter. The only thing I have noticed is that there is nowhere on the SSD to plug in the Termal Sensor Connector.

Do I just ignore it? Can I?

This is the SSD that I ordered: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...

I am currently booting off that SSD, which is connected via USB 2.0, and I believe that its being bottlenecked by USB 2.0.

+ vote for the sheer effort

by mayer

Won't you get a lot slower bus speeds though, due to using USB over SATA?

by rab777hp

I just went ahead and put the SSD in with an icydock 2.5" to 3.5" HDD adapter and I just left the thermal sensor unplugged and it works fine, but my computer thinks that the HDD is 128 degrees Celsius... which may or may not be a problem. http://grab.by/4fcM

I used this as the 2.5" to 3.5" converter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...

by Gabe

+ Ralph

by rj713

DON'T MESS WITH GETTING A NEW ADAPTOR TO MATCH YOUR HARD DRIVE!!!

I don't know why someone here hasn't mentioned this software. It's specifically for these iMacs with the hard drive sensor issues:

http://www.hddfancontrol.com/

Yaaa, right, 40 bucks for software or you go to OWC and get the hardware interface for a few bucks (WAY less than that software which may or MAY NOT work with future versions of OSX...

by mwilson

A free solution: http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl

will give it a try. Thank you

by mactech plus

this is a brilliant solution. Thanks. Just replaced the HD on My late 2009 27 inch iMac. I left the temp I took out the temp sensor cable completely when I dropped in an SSD. The fans were roaring quickly. This simple app allows a quick override.

by jscheller

I purchased https://www.applecomponents.com/items/00...

which is a Optical Drive Temp Sensor, and it works.. tape it to the HDD just to the upper right of the sata plug on the back of the drive.. on the black aluminum; middle of the drive.(according to seagate, thats the optimal place for a temp sensor) and voila.. the answer..

How I came to this conclusion was, I originally took the optical drive thermal sensor from my ODD and put it on the HDD thinking this should work.. well the HDD temp and fans work perfectly.. and the ODD fan is at full blast.. so I tried to contact APPLE for the replacement ODD temp sensor.. Mistake.. and then I found the Link above.. and used it as a replacement.. TADA!!!

Thanks Nick Butler! I had a same problem. After installing SSD in my imac 27", HHD fan was running at 4200 rpm. The fan noise was just annoying. I ordered the Optical Drive Temp Sensor from Applecomponents.com and now the fan works perfectly. SSD Rocks! It's so fast... and I love it!!!

by kc064

Best $20 fix you'll find ;)

by Nick Butler

But totally unnecessary since SSDs don't overheat. :P

by Kevin Nardi

Its not that its unnecessary.. its required for the fans to function properly..

by Nick Butler

It's unnecessary because you can just short the connector with a piece of wire, which keeps the fans from going crazy, and won't fry your SSD, because they don't overheat.

by Kevin Nardi

There is a huge thread over at MacRumors specifically about the thermal sensor w/SSDs...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.p...

Quick synopsis: Some folks seem to have good luck with a simple shorting of the thermal connector, which appears to just convince the iMac that all temps are good and keeps fans running at a low speed.

I haven't tried this myself, and can't comment directly on any of it... I'm researching it just as you are.

Well I honestly don't mind if the fans run at 100%, I have them running at 3500 RPM either way (I'm used to background noise and I cancel it out easily). Right now my HDD fan is running at 4350 RPM. I just secured the thermal connector and I left it as is.

by Gabe

I would just short it and use a fan controller.

Just my experience.. grain of salt and all...

I just installed OWC's SSD's (very fast, BTW) but now the HDD fan runs @ 5500 rpm since it the temp sensor is no longer connected. However, you can use smcFanControl to control the max speed of your HDD fan to control noise.

Use at your own risk... I feel comfortable doing this since I used istat to monitor my HDD and its fan speed never went above 3000 rpm and SSD's in general don't run hotter than HDD's:

1. Download smcFanControl (google it)
  2. In Terminal:

<path to smcFanControl.app>/Contents/Resources/smc -k <key value> -w <fan speed>

• <key value>
  • F1Mx = iMac 27" HDD Fan (Google for other model's fans key values)
  • <fan speed>
  • 6200 - 60e0
  • 5600 - 5780
  • 5000 - 4e20
  • 4800 - 4b00
  • 4000 - 3e80
  • 3600 - 3840
  • 3000 - 2ee0
  • 2500 - 2710

So for my IMAC 27" with max fan speed of 3000 RPM:

<path to smcFanControl.app>/Contents/Resources/smc -k F1Mx -w 2ee0

Good luck!

To answer Gabe: yes, the solution I posted will set the max fan speed to whatever you want. I have the 27" iMac at work with Apple's 256GB SSD and fan speed is rarely over 1500 RPM. Even with Handbrake encoding some video it was only 2500 RPM.

Just in case though, I have aliases in my .bash_profile (i.e. fan250, fan300, fan360) that reference commands to set the max speed I want with a simple terminal command.

So:

• alias fan250=<path to smcFanControl.app>/Contents/Resources/smc -k F1Mx -w 2710"
  • alias fan300=<path to smcFanControl.app>/Contents/Resources/smc -k F1Mx -w 2ee0"
  • alias fan360=<path to smcFanControl.app>/Contents/Resources/smc -k F1Mx -w 3840"

Also, remember to set the default speed (in my case 2500RPM) as a startup command.

So this will actually limit how fast the fan is going? Even at 100 degrees C it will go as max as I assign it to? Interesting solution...

by Gabe

If using SSD, and you reached those temps during video, it's probably absorbed heat from the video card/display. Hard to imagine SSD getting hot enough to require those RPM...

by mwilson

Hi Gavin,

As Kira stated, the smcFanControl.app is a package. You don't see the conetents but they are there. So if you've installed smcFanControl.app in your Applications folder, the <path to smcFanControl.app> portion of the command would be:

/Applications/smcFanControl.app

and the full path for the example I gave would be:

/Applications/smcFanControl.app/Contents/Resources/smc -k F1Mx -w 2ee0

which would give you a fan speed of 3000 rpm. Good luck!

Just short out the pins on the HDD temp sensor socket on the main logic board. That is how Apple does it with models that come only with an SSD.

What you are going to need is a laptop optical drive HDD adapter. Something like this part: 12.7 mm SATA Optical Bay SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

The only thing I find are SATA to IDE converters or SATA/IDE to USB converters. I need something that connects to the thing next to the SATA cable (not the power) in a regular 3.5" drive, as seen here: http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/p...

by Gabe

Question for mae from answer above:

I just replaced the hard drive in my new 27" iMac (Mid-2010 model) with a 2TB WD HDD that I had previously replaced in my 2007 iMac, which had worked without any problems. I am now having the full fan speed problem that I found out is caused by apples HD firmware settting. The drive works fine (it is a WD Green Caviar Drive, nearly identical to the 1TB I pulled out of the machine when purchased.

I installed smcFanControl and am now attempting to get your max fan speed override to work.

In the Terminal, when you state to type:

<path to smcFanControl.app>/Contents/Resources/smc -k F1Mx -w <fan 2ee0

What is the <path to smcFanControl.app> suppose to actually be?

I ask because the smcFanControl app is located in my Applications folder, but there is no /Contents/Resources subfolders listed, just the application sits alone.

I attempted to get this string to work, but it does not find the path.

I did try typing it verbatim, but this fails as well...I assume you should not, but I gave it a shot just the same. Am I missing something obvious?

Do I need to use sudo to enter it?

Thank you for the help.

Gavin

Kira and Mae, Thanks for the detailed answers. I had figured it out and got everything to work. In addition to creating the startup script, I made a few scripts with varying fan speed settings and saved them in my Applescript folder. Adding the applescript icon to my menu bar, which sits right next to the smcFanControl readings, allows for a one click adjustment. I just need to get the script to run on wake...

Gavin

1. Right click on the smcFanControl.app

2. Select "Show Package Contents"

3. Realize there are subfolders

4. Profit

Go here for details:

MacRumors Help

I had the iMac Fan issue downloaded HDD Fan Control and it instantly fixed it!

Such simple and good solution!

http://www.hddfancontrol.com

Peter Jennings, why don't you quit spamming people with your $30 'simple solution'.

Technically, you're spamming as well, but your product is at least free.

by rab777hp

Also- I can't trace "peter jennings" (I doubt it's the deceased new anchor) to hdd fan control (Author Ben Surtees of Surtees Software).

by rab777hp

I am having the same issue and this smc fan control command does not seem to work. What am I missing?

When I put the command into terminal, and set the fan speed to 1200 RPM, the fan actually slows down for 1 second and then revs back up.

Exirion, I downloaded your daemon and installed it, restarted my computer and nothing.

I replaced a dead TB seagate drive with a 2 TB seagate drive. I plugged in all the cables, included the heat sensor when I reinstalled. Should I have taken out the heat sensor cable??? Thank you!

Sorry for the late response. Try the new version and email me for support if you like.

by Exirion

Does anyone know the key for the optical drive for smcFanControl?

I had the same jet-engine-fan problem after an OWC SSD upgrade. ODD fan was going 4000rpm.

I used http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/ and it worked instantly.

Well... almost a good solution ;-{ The rub here is any software solution kills your temp monitoring system so if your system heats up the fan's won't correctly rev up to cool the system down. Basically you're shortening the systems lifespan. Which is why the hardware solution is the better direction.

by Dan

You're absolutely right, Dan. My fault, I wasn't clear. The software was a temporary bandaid so that I could hear myself think and work until I had time to open the iMac up again. Today, I solved the fan problem more permanently by taking the thermal sensor off the optical drive I had removed for the SSD and just sticking the sensor back in, attaching it to the SSD. Booted up. Everything is back to normal. Temperatures look good, fan speeds consistent with the temps and no 3rd party software necessary. So, I'm definitely with you on the hardware solution. Software is a nice temporary patch, hence a free one is best.

by Monkeyrebirth

anyone knows how i short out the pins on the hdd temp sensor socket on the main logic board?

Following these instructions, I simply replaced my HDD with an SSD.

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2309 and 2374 Hard Drive Replacement

I simply diconnected the cable that normally connects between the HDD temp sensor socket on the main logic board and the HDD from the HDD, but leaving it plugged into the logic board.

I then stripped a CAT5 cable and cut a short wire out of one of the pairs and made a U shape and ran it in and out of the end of the cable that plugs into the HDD temp sensor location. I then put some electrical tape over it and left it coiled up inside.

My iMac now has an SSD in place of the HDD, and the fans are quiet.

Apparently this is how how Apple does it with models that come only with an SSD.

WHat fan speed does it run at if you short the cables, and how did you find out this is the way Apple does it, can you confirm?

I have the same problem since I switched to SSD , but it´s a MBP..........................

That commands work just for a second :( and the fan goes on, driving me crazy...

I have 60ºC now and the CPU fan is still on his maximum (SET TO 4000 :)

should I put new thermal paste??????

Where do I have to short in order to shut it UP ?! .....hehe

Please, I need an answer really quick; If you must shorten one of the temp sensors, which one should you short?

The HDD or the ODD?

Thanks :-/

You can use this free alternative to smcFancontrol and the insanely expensive HDD Fan Control.

SDD Fan Control

http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/

It works.

Hi, is the jumping cable and using the software alternative just as good as buying a whole new temp sensor cable ? . Thanks

You don't jump and use software. Jumping the sensor will "trick" the system into thinking it's running supper cold and keep fan at min. speed. Software solution will bypass the hardware sensor and ask the hard drive, via software, what it's temp is and then adjust the fans. The adapter with the temp-sensor built in would be used if you don't want to try either of the above. It's one of the above, not a combination. You COULD use the jumper with the software, but it's really pointless, you don't need the jumper if you use the software (software will ignore the jumped sensor.

by mwilson

Yes.

While "it depends" is probably the better answer, let me just say that I shorted the cable something on the order of 3 years ago and created a start up item with SMC fan control and automater that just automatically turns it on low when I boot the machine. It's been happy as a clam.

Now, I haven't quite gotten it to do it automagically when it wakes from sleep, but then I also don't much mind doing a quick spotlight for the file name (two characters at most) and hitting enter to get it to calm down again.

I don't know why everyone is posting expensive fixes, software, adapters, etc. You've installed the SSD in place of the HDD. Cool. Fan is running at full speed now. Okay. That's expected. But there's a donation ware over at http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/ that works absolutely beautifully.

Gabe will be eternally grateful.