1

frix
25

How can I dry my iPod Touch?

Ipod touch got washed, how can I dry it out, or how can it be repaired?

Edited by: Walter Galan ( )

6

Ben Eisenman

DON'T TURN IT ON!!!!

Check out the discussion here for further information on the same problem.

Good luck!

lol- we posted at like the same time, and we ended up having the same first line! :)

rab777hp,

hahahahahah that's awesome!

Ben Eisenman,

I upvoted you both simultaneously.

Kyle Wiens,

5

rab777hp

DON'T TURN IT ON!

Okay, that's the first step. I'd say leave it out to dry, but take it apart, see if any water has fallen anywhere, if so, remove that (a pipette usually works well, but people do different things) and leave it all to dry somewhere safe.

Then after say a day, put it back and hope it works.

It may not though, water kills electronics.

2

sarah
25

put it in rice for a while-then when you think it is completely dry try turning it on and if it doesnt turn on try charging it ONLY IF IT IS COMPLETELY DRY!!!! I was changing in a bathroom when my itouch fell in the toilet and i put it in rice. After like 2 days I tried charging it and it is now slowly starting to work! Good luck!

2

Shane
185

You could also get some silica gel packets (used to remove moisture in some food packaging, like beef jerky). I would keep the device vertical while drying. You may end up with water damage to the screen. If your device is out of warranty and you're comfortable with opening it help you could greatly improve the dry time.

2

Derek
25

I experienced the same problem with mine after washing it! Doh! Unfortunately I did not research how to dry it before I turned it on. Double Doh! Fortunate for me it turned on but weird things happened at that point. I quickly looked up solutions for drying my iPod touch. These are the steps I took;

1. I tapped all of the water out that I could (shake shake shake)
  2. I dried (external) it with a blow-dryer
  3. I placed it in a dry place for 24 hours (on top of my flat screen TV)

After 24 hours I turned it back on and low and behold it booted up. I did have water damage to the screen. Again fortunate for me after about a month this completely dissipated and now it is like nothing ever happened.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone who uses it!

1

frix
25

Here is what I did: I shook out all the water. Took a long time banging it on a thick folded towel. Then I put it on a heater, not too hot for a several days. When I saw no more dampness on the inside of the window for a few days I reckoned it to be fully dry. When I then switched it on... it worked fine again!

frix

0

iMike
103

I was at school and was eating lunch. I got my iPod all sticky and went to wash it off in the bathrooom. I took a paper towel, got it wet(wringed it out) and quickly wipped down my iPod touch(2G 8 gig). I went outside and noticed that the touch screen was not "backlighting". Then the wierdest thing happened... my screen went all 'fuzzy" and my iPod "turned off" and when it turned back on... it was all white. Right now it looks like cream cheese is in my touchscren. I have restored it,(it still works[backlight is working] but the touchscreen looks like cream cheese(and when i hold it up to the light, theres a big "white hill")

1. Hit <enter> to insert another list item, and <enter> twice in a row to end the list. To get sub-items, repeat the bullet character once for each level of indent you want (e.g. ##)'''HElP!!!!!!!!!!'''
  2. yes i am covered under apple care until november,2010
  3. I REALLY NEED HELP!

OK my iPod is working again after "rice treatment". But nothing is displaying on the screen. Theres a back light, it responds to touch, speaker works, iTunes recognizes it(all that jazz) but nothing on the screen. Restoring it didn't help, and ! do not have a case opener tool to open the blasted thing up and see whats wrong. HELP!

Edited by: iMike ( )

0

Jared Williams
1

Put it in a bowl of rice for about a week. DO NOT use high heat directly on it you don't want to melt any internal parts. People think that using a hair dryer or putting it in the oven will make the water evaporate which is right but it will also harm the device. If you want to use anything use a vacuum sweeper to pull air around and through the device. This will cause the water to evaporate faster and not cause any harm to the device. Rice or Silica gel packets will do the same but you need a week or so to get the moisture out.

0

katie
1

i went to use the bathroom i had my ipod touch in my back pocket thenn when i sat down it fell into the toilte and i put it in rice i turned it on but my speaker is not working any help would be nice ??

katie, follow the instructions on here http://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Electronics_W...

0

steven
1

take it a part get air compresser and get a air pes and blow all the water out of it and let it dry out

0

Otto Sargent
1

Soak it in a bag of rice for a few days.