Electronics Water Damage

Techniques for generalized water damage troubleshooting and recovery.

In any situation involving the submersion or splashing of an electronic device in any liquid, the first step is to disconnect any power source as soon as this is safely possible.

  1. Pay attention to your personal safety first! Use caution when disconnecting any device from household current or any other source. If you are standing in water or your clothes are wet please remove yourself from any potential shock hazard before even thinking about retrieving a submerged or soaked electronic device.
  2. If the electronic device is still submerged and is connected to an external power source, find a safe way to disconnect it. If possible find a circuit breaker or switch for that source of power. Use caution if you choose to remove a plug or power adapter from an outlet that has not been switched off.
  3. Retrieving a submerged or soaked electronic device that contains a battery presents its own dangers. A shorted battery may be a fire and/or chemical hazard. If you see or feel any heat, smoke, steam, bubbling, bulging, or melting avoid handling the electronic device.
  4. If the device is still on, turn it off.
  5. Rotate and shake the device to try to let any fluid drain out.
  6. If possible, remove the battery.
  7. If possible, disassemble the device to allow any remaining liquid to drain and to begin cleaning the internal components. This is particularly important with acidic liquids such as fruit juice or alkaline liquids such as laundry water.
  8. If you are not confident about disassembling your device you can attempt drying it by burying it in a container of uncooked rice for several days. In some cases the rice will successfully draw out the remaining liquid. Change the orientation of the device occasionally in its rice bath to give the liquid every chance to drain. Avoid using salt, sugar, or flour. Disassembling and cleaning the device is always the best way to prevent corrosion, but if the device was not submerged this drying may in some cases be enough to prevent further damage.

Cleaning Circuit Boards ¶ 

  1. Completely disassemble your device removing all cables and opening all connectors. To displace any remaining liquid around or under any components of the logic board submerge it completely in a suitably sized container filled with isopropyl alcohol. Ideally use a 90% or higher concentration available from a pharmacist or drug store. You can use distilled or deionized water as an alternative cleaning fluid, although this will take longer to dry. Avoid solvents such as ketone, acetone, or naphtha.
  2. Use a toothbrush, small paint brush, or other soft brush to clean the logic board of any debris or deposits from the offending liquid. Use caution as you clean to avoid damaging or accidentally knocking off components of the logic board. Pay particular attention to the connectors and ends of ribbon cables to prevent corrosion of their contact surfaces.
  3. Once you are satisfied that the logic board is clean and free of corrosion you may use a hairdryer on its cold setting and dry the logic board. Alternatively, the logic board may placed under a desk lamp to gently warm it and dry out the cleaning fluid.
  4. When the components are dry check the cable ends and connectors again for signs of corrosion or debris.
  5. Reassemble your device with a new battery or one that you are confident is in good working order. If your device has been submerged it is likely that you will need a new battery. Lithium and other types of rechargeable batteries do not tolerate submersion well. Again, any sign of bubbling, bulging, melting, or discoloration on the battery indicates that it is toast. Dispose of it only at a battery recycling facility.
  6. Once you have your device assembled, the real work of evaluating the damage begins. Look for what is working and replace parts in an organized fashion, not all at once. The likely order of failure in a smaller electronic device is typically:
    • Battery
    • LCD
    • Logic board

pH of common fluids ¶ 

A number less than 7 indicates an acid solution, while a number above 7 indicates an alkaline solution. Both cases are bad for electronic components. Knowing the pH of the fluid can help give you an idea of how severe the damage is.

  • Pure water neutral pH = 7.0
  • Blood = 7.4
  • Gastric Juice = 0.7
  • Urine = 6.0
  • Pancreatic Juice = 8.1
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid = 7.3
  • Saliva = 7.0
  • Wheat Beer = 3.3 - 3.7
  • Lager Beer = 4.4 - 4.7
  • Unfermented Beer = 5.5
  • Lemon juice = 2.3
  • Bleach = 12 to 12.6
  • Sea water i.e. Saltwater = about 8.2
  • Regulated Pool Water = 7.2 - 7.8 (Source)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH

Comments Comments are onturn off

so what do i after the first step ... Beep accidently drip on computer screen only .. there is alot of water mark on screen .. computer is workin fine... computer is off right now! please help

Alba Ramirez, · Reply

Alba this is the wrong area to post this. Please ask your question here: http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/

ABCellars,

*sorry Beer dripped inside computer monitor

Alba Ramirez, · Reply

Special Note.

Pure water neutral pH = 7.0 You don't have too much of an issue here -- easy to clean

Blood = 7.4 This may be more of an issue. If it is a large amount and your blood please seek medical advice

Gastric Juice = 0.7 See Blood

Urine = 6.0 If it's yours you may have behavioral issues. If it isn't, do you really want to clean it??

Pancreatic Juice = 8.1 See Blood

Cerebrospinal Fluid = 7.3 Really see blood

Saliva = 7.0 Ex Sneeze, just wipe it off. If sufficient to cause electrical; issue then you have other problems

Wheat Beer = 3.3 - 3.7 Why are there 3 kinds of beer listed

Lager Beer = 4.4 - 4.7 Really Why

Unfermented Beer = 5.5 What about a nice red wine

Lemon juice = 2.3 No comment

Bleach = 12 to 12.6 At least it is not a bio hazard anymore (see Blood, Urine etc)

Sea water i.e. Saltwater = about 8.2 ;)

Bruce Kempe, · Reply

Thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you!!!!!!!! I love "ifixit".

I had a macbook with water damage. So I open the macbook and diassemble all parts. Then I follow these instruction and clean the logic board with toothbrush and isopropanol. I even clean bottomside of the cpu and gpu with isopropanol and pressed-air. Before that I diassemble the head sink and after that I appy new thermal paste.

So I put all together and it WORKS!!!

fischel, · Reply

So pancreatic juice is a "common" fluid?? Not in my world; unless I am missing something.

Eric G, · Reply

I have a MacBook Air that is still under warranty and it won't expire for 10 months and I think it has saliva in it. Should I take to the Apple Store?

Dylan Byrne, · Reply

View Statistics:

Today: 99

This Week: 496

This Month: 3,411

All Time: 113,629