Is your Google Phone draining its battery fast? This will go over several common occurrences when your Google Pixel’s battery dies quickly. The problem can be caused by either software or hardware causes, so read on to determine the right solution for you!
Restarting your phone is a good first step to ensure it’s not a random software fluke.
- Press and hold the Power button for 30 seconds. Some Pixels require you to tap Restart after holding the Power button.
Updating your phone is necessary as some battery and power bugs are addressed in recent Android updates.
- Go to your Settings app > System > System Update to check for updates.
Using several apps drains the battery that much faster as it’s using that much more juice. Try closing out unused apps, especially games or video apps. Using apps like GPS directions, games, and video recording for a long time will drain the battery quickly.
- You can close out all running apps by swiping up from the bottom of the screen and tapping Clear all. It’s a good idea to close out all apps now and then to optimize your experience using the phone.
In addition to this, disable Bluetooth and WiFi to help prevent the battery from depleting quickly.
- To disable Bluetooth, swipe down from the top of your phone’s screen and toggle the Bluetooth icon.
Limit background usage of apps by restricting apps with high overall battery.
- Open your phone's Settings app > Battery > Battery usage. This provides a list of apps and their power usage for the past 24 hours. Tap each app to check its usage and make sure Battery optimization is toggled on.
Camera App & Video Recording
When recording high-definition video for a long period, the phone will go through its battery more quickly. Charging your phone while using it helps prevent the phone from dying early on.
The Google camera app has many features, most of which contribute to increased power draw and running background services.
- Head to Google camera settings and disable these services: Google Lens suggestions, Social share, Frequent Faces, Framing hints, and Exposure. Navigate to advanced settings and disable these settings: RAW+JPEG control and Social media depth features.
Has your phone been exposed to extreme heat? Direct sun will significantly deplete your phone’s battery, especially when compounded with heavy use.
- Place the device somewhere cool and out of direct sunlight, turn down the screen brightness, and let it cool in the shade. It's also a good idea to turn off the Pixel while it cools down.
A well-worn battery can cause the phone to heat up while providing insufficient power to the phone.
- Try swapping out the battery and follow the associated guide.