iPhone 5s Audio Control and Power Button Cable

$24.95

Product code: IF124-012
Apple Part #: 821-1594-08, 821-1594-A

 

iPhone 5s Audio Control and Power Button Cable

$24.95

Product code: IF124-012
Apple Part #: 821-1594-08, 821-1594-A

Product Overview

Fix those broken buttons!

  • If your volume or power buttons have no clicking action or your mute switch doesn't work properly anymore, this may be the part you need.
  • This cable connects the volume buttons, mute/silent button, rear camera flash, and the power button to the logic board.
  • It also has contacts which the vibrator rests on in order to connect it to the logic board.
  • Each part comes with adhesive already applied for installing it into your phone.

Compatibility

Identify your iPhone

  • All iPhone 5s Models (Not iPhone 5 or iPhone 5c)

Product Details

$24.95 New

 

Condition:

New

$12.95 Used

 

Condition:

Used, fully tested

Notes:

This is a used OEM part.

 

Compatibility

iPhone 5s
16 GB
32 GB
64 GB
 

Stories

alexjl316's Story Photo #569667
alexjl316's Story Photo #569912
alexjl316's Story Photo #576519

My Problem

My boyfriend and I decided to go canoeing one day and I had my phone with me so of course we ended up being capsized. The first thing I did was hold my phone above water but my phone was already done for. After putting it in rice and reading extensively through DIYs, guides, and articles on water damage, I realized that this wasn't going to be enough and I would have to do a repair myself.

My Fix

I ordered a repair kit and after watching and reading several guides, I took my phone apart. I read that the battery is the first to go and the logic board should be "fixed" with isopropyl alcohol so I followed the guides to remove both of these parts.

Upon removing the battery, I accidentally ripped the power cable and had to order a new cable in addition to the new battery. When they arrived, I put everything back together without any problems.

I was told that if I plugged my phone into my computer and the device wasn't recognized, my logic board was done for. Initially, this is what I thought happened but after charging for about an hour, the phone was recognized and it was turning on! Initially, it wasn't working well. The touch response was really bad and slow, the sound wasn't working at all and made gross, scratchy noises, there was a white splotch on the screen, a high pitched whining noise, and the phone was rebooting about every 5 minutes. I was quite disappointed but as my phone charged all the way, the sound problem resolved itself and just completely went away, eventually, the slow touch response also went away, as did the whining noise and the continuous rebooting. By morning, the white splotch on the screen was just gone and everything seemed back to normal!

It's been about 3 weeks since I put my phone together and everything's still working perfectly. The only thing that's different is that the battery loses charge pretty quickly and I have to charge it at least twice a day. For now, this hasn't been too much of a problem and maybe I just got a "bad" battery?

My Advice

When taking apart my phone, I drew out each step that involved parts and screws and used double-sided tape to attach the pieces to the drawings so I'd know exactly where everything went on reassembly. This proved to be very helpful and I didn't lose anything/have any problems or confusion when putting it back together.

When removing the battery, don't use dental floss. A hair dryer on the back to loosen the adhesive works much more effectively. I broke the power cable by accidentally working the dental floss underneath the power cable and pulling up to pull the battery out instead of working it between the battery and cable (which is impossible to tell since you can't see it). Other than that, just go for the DIY but be gentle! This was my first DIY and I spent less than a tenth of the price doing it myself instead of buying a new phone. Also, don't bring electronic devices out on the water unless you have some kind of waterproof case.

chrisberlett's Story Photo #375696
chrisberlett's Story Photo #375695
chrisberlett's Story Photo #375697

My Problem

After drying a phone and replacing it's battery, the owner came back to me complaining that he was able to increase the volume on his handset, but unable to turn the volume down without going through settings. Root cause? Incorrect removal of the initial battery had nicked the cable running to the volume down button

My Fix

The repair was long but fairly straightforward; followed the instructions in the guide and everything worked reasonably well. Dropped a screw and lost it immediately on the floor. Fortunately, it was the same size as one of the battery connector bracket.

My Advice

The magnetic project mat is super useful. Foolishly, I had two and used both as storage for the internal components, instead of working directly over one. This lead to the loss of one of the 1.6mm screws.

Additionally, one thing that the repair guide doesn't cover is that the cable has to be folded to get the power/sleep hinge into the proper location

Finally, make sure you set aside a good chunk of time for this repair. Take a moment every couple of steps to stand back, have a look at what you've done, and plot your rout forward.

And if you drop a screw, figure out which one you're going to scavenge to replace it