Released June 2012 / Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost / Up to 1 GB DDR5 Video RAM

MacBook Pro 2011 to 2012 logic board swap?

I was curious if it is possible to swap a Macbook Pro 2011 logic board with one from the 2012 model.

Looking at the pictures below it looks possible....

Macbook Pro 2011 logic board:

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/QWKKP...

Macbook Pro 2012 logic board:

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/11bHZ...

Has anyone attempted it?

hmmm thats a great question. From a picture point of view, it looks feasible. We haven't tried switching the logic boards ourselves just yet, but when we do we'll be sure to update this thread.

Please let me know! I would love to see if this is a possibility! I really would like the speed boost.

I just did it, i lost some configuration like, screensaver, energy saving, but the rest all good... it works!!!

Hi any pointers on the swap Manuel? -Manuel

can you be more specific? all i can say is, when i swap the motherborad, it had its own zinc, and you can follow this guide,

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Late 2011 Logic Board Replacement

or this other

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 Logic Board Replacement

It's a model A1286 which goes back to the late 2008 15" Unibody. The only thing that concerns me is the Thunderbolt port.

UPDATE 2/7/16

FYI check these logic boards for this recall if you are having any issues:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro...

Most Helpful Answer

I see a lot of mixed or unclear answers here from people who claim to know what they are saying. What gives me the right to say I know? Well, I just did it last week!

I have an early 2011 model 15" MBP with a matte screen. I purchased a mid 2012 non-retina logic board (without the heat sink → reused my original one) and installed it successfully, upgrading my USB ports, Thunderbolt port, CPU, and GPU. It's like having a new computer!

The display cable was a tight fit, but working carefully and with a gentle yet firm hand, I was able to fit it into the logic board port. The only other difference is that the new boards do not have the small heat sinks over the USB controller and one other controller (not sure what they are). I've read that one guy butchered his old board and superglued the screw mounts onto the new board. Another person reported superglueing the heat sink directly to the controller. Both of these ways seemed a bit barbaric and unclean to me, so I just left the two controllers be; figured they would have the screw mounts if they needed the brackets, but they don't.

So over a week later, my laptop has been running completely fine. Actually super, because of all the upgrades! I have installed iStat Menus and have been monitoring my temperatures. Everything is within normal ranges during various workloads! I have also swapped out my DVD Superdrive with my original 750GB 5200RPM HDD, replacing the main drive with a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro. Oh, and my bluetooth module has been changed a long time ago, to allow AirDrop and Handover to work... as you see, just about everything in my laptop has been changed. I just really like my matte screen, and cannot believe they don't make them any more. These new "anti-glare" displays have nothing on the matte!

So the answer to whether an early 2011 logic board (15" MBP) is swappable for a mid 2012 non-retina one is: It absolutely is, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise!

Hi! Are You Mac still working fine?

I got an early 2011 MacBook pró 15'' a1286 and the Discrete GPU are not working. As I need it to use an external display i was thinking to get a 2012 board. Did You have some problems? Some precaution i need to know?

Hello, and YES, it works flawlessly!

I do some pretty hardcore gaming on this machine up to 6 hrs at a time (Battlefield 4 on Windows and Minecraft with a very resource intensive texture pack on macOS), where the GPU and CPU will heat up to 80-90 (at times to 100+) °C, and no problem! I do use a manual fan control application (iStat Menus), because Apple doesn't increase fan speed until CPU reaches 100°...

The only precautions I consider worth mentioning are those already listed in my original post above. Other than that, the installation is pretty much the same as the removal. Make sure to follow the thermal paste guide link.

If you are still worried about the small heat sinks, don't be. The new board does not seem to need them. Like I said, I have been monitoring the temperatures during heaviest workloads and the Platform Controller Hub temperature, for example, never went over 38°C for me (I believe this is the larger die that used to have a small heat sink over it on the old board).

Hope this helps!

ok I am very interesting with this, but I need to clear before buying it, I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011) with the original logic board 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, I am replacing the logic board because this one is very old, so I am replacing it with A1278 i7 2.9GHz Logic Board 820-3115-B 661-6589 (2012), therefore I want to replace also the screen so I can get the high retina resolution. So my question is: this would work with that logic board and with my MacBook pro late 2011

The board yes it will work/fit in your 2011 case, and by theory the retina screen should work as well with the new Logic-board as both models, retina and non-retina (2012), worked under same GPU (HD4000). The connectors they look to be the same, the big problem wold be the hinges, they are not the same

13" non retina connector

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/ig...

13" retina connector

13" no retina hinge

13" retina hinge

Any recommendations on where to get the 2012 board? I can't seem to find the one for non-retina display.

It is not possible. Apple re-designed the LCD cable adapter on the logic board making it not interchangeable.

I did it! It was a tight fit, but works just fine!

I know it works as well yet for some reason people who haven't attempted it assume it won't work.

They are probably worrying about the 2010 vs 2011 board in which the lcd cable was actually repositioned. A 2012 should be able to replace a 2011 board.

I recently purchased a 2012 unibody and 2012 display and put a late 2011 logic board in it. The only thing that didn't line up was the heat sink. But everything else worked fine. I'm not sure if you were going from a 2011 unibody to a 2012 board. The lcd cable will fit fine either way yet I'm sure you will not have the high resolution with a 2011 display.

did you do this for better performance? i want to swap a early 2011 A1278 with a mid 2012 a1278 do you think this will work. and what did you do about the heat sink issue

when i swap the motherboards i did it with its own heatsink...

Hey, sorry to reopen this thread but I have the same issue. I have a 13" 2011 MBP which still works but is really worn out (Display broken, camera cable broken, antenna cable broken, dirty...). Fortunately I also have a almost brand new 13" 2012 MBP with a broken logic board (due to fruit juice spill).

Now I'm wondering wheter I can just move the 2011 Logicboard to the 2012 MBP?

You did exactly this, right? But what about the heat sink? How did you fit it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers

Just to let everyone know I think the information about the LCD connection is wrong and I'll back this up soon as I have a 2012 logic board on the way

Everything lines up

Is there any new info on this? Were you successful?

I Have just done this only thing i had to change is the heat sink witch was about £7 on eBay and lcd cable . and everything works as it should. Now i have a Late 2011 macbook with the new Mid 2012 logic board with the HD 4000 graphics

I am attempting this. I have a 2011 15" with hi rez display.. The lcd cable will not fit the 2012 board? Thanks

Dear matgoodman91,

I would like to do the same, 2012 mbp mainboard to 2011 body. I have matt screen, is that a problem?

Do you have any features not working, like screensaver etc?

Can you link exact part numbers and location on where to buy them?

many thanks

Hi there, ppl.

So i finally managed to find an affordable mid 2012 (3720QM processor) board for my faulty mid 2010 Macbook Pro. This model (all computers were affected) came out with a faulty graphics chip (Geforce 330M) that made the computer crash every now and then, and more often after stressing the chip over the years, and recently become unusable, to a point that i had to install an app called "gfxstatus" to prevent it from switching to the discrete card because it instantly crashed.

I've been reading that the graphics cable doesn't fit well, that it does, that i have to change it, that i have to apply force... My panel is one of those anti-glare HD displays and i've read something about them too, but i couldn't find out why. My idea was to tear open the lcd and change the 2010 model cable with the 2012 one the board needs. As far as i know, the connection the panels have are the same, but the board connections are not. Am i right? What else can you say in this regard? If i indeed need a new cable, where can i find it for a good price?

I've also heard that the battery, even if it has the same form factor, the connection is different too (thanks, apple, those %#*@ connectors). In this case, can i find a way to adapt the old connector to the new board or do i need to buy a whole new battery? Again, if i need to, where can i find a trustworthy one?

Thanks guys. I'll post my experiences and maybe some pics.

Hi, i've the same issue that your, i solved also with gfxstatus, and also become unusable. I'm also wondering to buy a logicboard, so your experience will be usefull for me! Thanks!

I can confirm that it is possible to swap these in the 15" model. The only thing that wasn't perfect is the video cable bar that folds down and holds it, it isn't long enough to fold down, but it stays in place just fine. This was on a non Retina display model.

they are the same model, A1286

make sure the heat sink is compatible. Pay attention to the dissipating heat after changing logic board

good luck

I attempted it the screen cable is different

I swapped an early 2011 for mid 2012 successfully! Everything fit and has been working for over a week now!

I think that screen cables are different if they are connected to hi-res display...

I'm an AMCT and work on these machines daily. They are NOT compatible :(

Hey guys,

I have just swap a Mid 2012 non retina logic board with the Early 2011 MBP. Works fine. The only glitch is the Automatic Graphic Switching seems not working. It always stay with High performance but not switch. I can even enter my original S/N into the Nvram with Set System Serial Number software. Anyway, my MBP is out of warranty and it is early 2011 model with AMD graphic went wrong by well know reason just after my Apple Care expired. So, DIY and works. I bought this logic board on Taobao and cost me US$560.00.

Charles

If AGS is not working, try reinstalling the OS. If its still not working, you may have bought a bad logic board.

Hello Charles! What model logic board did you buy? I am worried about my 2011 AMD board myself.

you can go here to check but it is Chinese only.

http://s.taobao.com/search?&stats_click=...

So too clear everyone up about the Logic Board swap . I have a macbook pro 13Inch Late 2011 And just swapped out the logic board with the mid 2012 Model with the HD4000 Graphics . Only things i had to change was the LCD Cable . and heatsinksink . Everything els is the same . :)

Thanks for the answer, but this probably doesn't tell how the situation would be with the OP's 15 inch model.

Dear matgoodman91, I would like to do the same, 2012 mbp mainboard to 2011 body. I have matt screen, is that a problem? Do you have any features not working, like screensaver etc? Can you link exact part numbers and location on where to buy them? many thanks

The cables aren't any different and the connector is the same on the 2011 boards and the 2012 boards. High resolution is only what your graphics card can output to your monitor. If a 2012 has a high resolution display and a 2011 board has low resolution display then you will only be able to use a lower resolution. Lcd cables have been the same for years the only thing that changes is the technology they connect to. Unless your talking about hdtv's and monitors where an hdmi cable or Dvi cable is necessary. It's the same cable.

Old thread, but since I just tried this exact operation, thought I'd add my experience.

The display connector for the 2012 MBP main logic board DOES NOT match the display cable connector from an Early 2011 MBP. At least on the non-Retina 13" models.

Interesting.. so with early models, the display cables are different and if you have a Mid-2011, the cables are the same with the 2012?

I just swapped an early 2011 logic board with a mid 2012 non retina. The display cable was a bit difficult to insert, because the port is slightly smaller, but the connector has plastic edges → it takes very gentle force, but the thing fits. Works great! I now have a better processor, USB 3.0, and a better GPU!

Hola!

I am Thinking of swapping LB from mid 2012 MBP (non Retina) to early 2011 MBP. Early 2011 MBP had GPU issues and Apple already changed my LB once for free.

https://9to5mac.com/2015/02/19/macbook-p...

A Year ago the machine died again, but the timeline for free repair was already closed. Ever since its been gathering dust since I read that the problem with the GPU will probably reappear no matter how many times the LB is changed. The possibility to upgrade the prosessor to 2.7GHz (I think 2.7GHz is the highest on 2012 non retina MBP:s?) and all the other goodies on newer LB made me look into this again

Few questions if someone finds the time:

Has anyone had GPU issues with their chainged mid 2012 LB:s on their 2011 MBP:s?

Is there some difference in the design of 2012 LB so that it avoids the problems of the 2011 LB:s dying GPU:s?

Is there way to tell if the LB:s bought from http://s.taobao.com/search?&stats_click=... or ebay etc... are new or already reballed or refurbished? I read something about soldering going from silvery to goldenish/yellowish when reballed?

Experienses on used LB:s? Should I only invest to a new one?

Can someone who got good, still working LB from taobao or other webshop give the sellers name?

liquidspikes will be eternally grateful.