MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2012

Released June 2012 / Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost / Up to 1 GB DDR5 Video RAM

Max Ram In MacBook Pro mid 2012

I am thinking about buying either the new (mid 2012) MacBook Pro 13” or the new MacBook Air 13”. But I have a question, since MAc Book Air is not RAM Upgradable, I should buy it with the max Ram available in Apple Store (8 GB). But, what about the MacBook Pro? If I buy it with the max available (8 GB) in Apple Store, will I be available to upgrade it to 16GB at some time?

Thanks that’s very important to me before I purchase my new Mac

Thank in advance!

PLEASE don't spend any $$$$ on RAM upgrades from Apple. Just buy the standard 4 Gb and then buy 16Gb (2x8Gb) for half the price Apple is charging.

by Batbaatar Jigjidsuren

batbaatar - I mentioned that in my answer.

by mayer

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012

Other World Computing announced today OWC PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600MHz Memory Upgrades up to 16GB for the new MacBook Pro 13″ and 15″ non-Retina display models announced by Apple yesterday. OWC Memory upgrades offer owners of the newest MacBook Pro models up to double the maximum offered factory installed memory, savings up to 40 percent for same-sized memory upgrades, and upgrade options not available from the factory.

UPDATE

Standard RAM: 4 GB Maximum RAM: 16 GB*

Details: 4 GB of RAM is installed as two 2 GB modules, no slots free.

*Apple officially supports a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, but third-parties have determined that this model actually is capable of using up to 16 GB of RAM with two 8 GB memory modules.

Just a note. If anyone needs to know what type and how much ram you need for a computer just visit crucial.com and use their memory guide. It only takes a minute and faster than searching all over the web for tech specs on various sites. :)

I just purchased ram from OWC, 16 GB for my new MacBook Pro non-retina display. It should run great; these folks from OWC no their stuff. I've never had any problems with their recommendations. I installed more ram on a previous MacBook Pro 2007 model which came with just 2GB and I raised it to 4GB and can still raise it up to 6GB if I wanted. But since I now have this new model; 16GB should make it run like a charm.

Best regards,

Jose

Will this ram work on MB Pro mid 2012 model?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMXS16GX...

I've always wondered why Apple does that with the RAM, saying that the minimum is 4GB but it's upgradable to 8GB when it's actually able to use 16GB of RAM instead!! lol Why is that u' think if Apple mentioned that they'd get more money that way...

EDIT: So are the 17" MBP Models discontinued now or what?? lol

The reason is probably because the bus speed is 1066, and these modules are available at max 4GB, thus 2 x 4GB = 8. You should be able however to use 1333mHz memory modules and they will scale down to 1066. This is not the correct spec according to the papers though and thats why I think Apple doesnt "approve" it. And of course, they prefer you buy a newer model, which is the real reason I guess.

by drsmartphonedotnet

@peter meter, Yes, they should fit.

What If there are 16GB RAM on one chip. Is there a chance of running 32GB of RAM?

Julian,

No. The motherboard will only be able to use 16GB. Actually, it will only see 16 out of the 32 GB.

I have a:

MacBook Pro

15-inch, Mid 2012

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB

Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

I would like to bring this machine up to 16GB of Ram. I was looking at Crucial and also Mac Memory by RamJet. Cruical seems pretty good based on reviews but something that I've noticed is that the Mac Memory by RamJet folks say they sell "Non-Stacked Ram" and that it's got lower power consumption and produces less heat then the cheaper stacked Ram. The excact claim is copy & pasted below. So whats the deal, is one better then the other?

• Non-Stacked IC's: Ramjet uses a Non-stacked module for the 8GB DDR3 module for the MacBook Pro. The cheaper stacked IC variety of 4GB SO-DIMM draws more power, which increases heat and decreases battery life. Ramjet ONLY uses premium non-stacked chips.**

Hello everybody I have a question.

Everybody are saying that I can upgrade my MacBook Pro 15 inch to 16 GB RAM but when I went to MacBook official site I saw that my computer is upgradable to only 8 GB of RAM maximum.

My question is, can I really have 16 GB of RAM or my computer just recognize 8 GB of RAM then it's useless buying 16 GB RAM.

Many thanks.

Pedro, if you have MB Pro 2011 or later you can run it without any worries. I'm running on 16GB about 2 years on MB Pro 15 late 2011. Just be careful to buy RAM modules with the same frequencies, timing and maybe voltage as you have on your model.

Phonzee will be eternally grateful.