1

asle

Will not charge even after changing MagSafe

Hi, my MacBook Pro 2009 15" just went out of battery power. When I plugged in the power adapter it lights green but it does not charge. I tried with a charged battery from another A1286 and the machine starts up just fine. But it says "Not charging". So I changed the MagSafe card. I know this MagSafe card works because I have it in another A1286. It is till not charging and the machine will not run off the charger, only on battery, which it does not charge of course.

Just to add this. I tried to reset SMC with no luck.

Where can I look now? Are there some other parts that could be damaged? This MBP has not had any liquid spill.

Glad for any advice!

Update: When I plug in the charger the screen lightens and it goes darker when I remove the charger - so it seems it recognizes there is a charger connected?

Interesting is the system profile images I have attached. Look at the power section when I have the charger connected and not connected. As soon as I plug in the charger the battery symbol changes from battery to (Not charging).

Sorry for the Norwegian profile output. Hope you understand it!

Edited by: asle ( )

I have the exact same problem but haven't changed the MagSafe board yet. My power adaptor is working fine on other laptops. If I find a solution I will post here.

Nicolas Pagonis,

Nicolas, does your charger light green? Mine does. And like you see on the profile report it says it is connected. But if I pull it out the whole machine dies.

asle,

Thanks Nicolas for checking. I also will have to either get the logic board repaired or buy a new logic. Too bad :-)

asle,

Just an update on this issue. The problem was a small circuit that needed to be replaced on the logic board. I got an ebay repair service that changed a chip for me. Now it works like a charm.

asle,

5

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

The charger (AC MagSafe adapter) appears not to be working correctly. On the left of this Wiki is the pin out for it. The pins may be stuck and not extending correctly or the unit may have failed. Unplug it and use something like a tooth pick to move the pins in and out. If this is working, use a multimeter to test the output. See if you are getting 16.5 volts from pins 2 & 4 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

The 85W charger seems fine. It easily charges all my other MacBooks also. I tried another 85W charger but that also only shows a green light when plugged in. The MBP still will not run off any charger.

asle,

0

Nicolas Pagonis
1

Mine lights green and says it is connected but if the battery is flat the machine will not power on even with the charger connected

Here is a link to my problem

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/86634...

Edited by: Nicolas Pagonis ( )

Nicolas, this seems to be exactly the same problem I have. Read your post and we have to find out how to fix this. Mayer, do you have any input?

asle,

Hi Nicolas, any news on finding out the problem with the charging?

asle,

I am dropping my laptop at a place that does component level repairs tommorow. I'll keep you posted on the result. Fingers crossed. Very frustrating when you know that that all the major componentry is A-OK. There must be a solution to this without going to the expense of a new logic board.

Nicolas Pagonis,

I have had similar problems and then it was the MagSafe card. Replacing that solved it. I have a defective MagSafe card. I tested on another logic board with a bad backlight problem but this MBP charges the battery without problems. I connected the def. MagSafe board to the logic board. No light. So I connected a working MagSage board. Then the charger lights green. When I connect a battery it turns to red, meaning it is charging. So I guess you don't need to connect anything like fans or cables to test if it is charging. I took out the mentioned logic board and connected the working MagSafe board. The charger then lights green but does not change to red when attaching a battery. I wonder what component maintains the logic to pull power through the logic board. Seems the power just stops at the MagSafe board. I wait eagerly for your response at the repair shop. I can not find any kind of shop here in Norway that repairs components.

asle,

I dropped the machine off yesterday and they said that they would have an answer for me by tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Nicolas Pagonis,

0

Nicolas Pagonis
1

I've found another repairer that said they might be able to repair the logic board. Dropping it in today.

0

Max GR
55

Have you tried installing the latest SMC update for your MacBook? Mine had the same fault and after going to my local Apple Reseller and them temporarily inserting a new battery to download the SMC update I was back in business.

Edited by: Max GR ( )

0

Nicolas Pagonis
1

Can you give me specific details on what was done? As my laptop is still not working.

Try all the above suggestions, SMC reset, another battery, try another MagSafe card etc. If all that fails it is a circuit on the logic board and needs to be fixed. This should not be expensive. I know brickfence on Ebay does a good and cheap job. You could try them.

asle,

0

Nicolas Pagonis
1

do you know which circuit? I have tried all the other suggestions and a logic board replacement seemed like the only fix. i cannot find brickfence on ebay either. also i am in australia

thanks

Have no idea what circuit this is related to but I have tried these repair shops on ebay with success: http://myworld.ebay.com/brickfence?ssPag... http://myworld.ebay.com/ionnoi.digital?_...

asle,