My MacBook is frozen and it will not shut down. What's wrong?

My macbook is frozen for two days now and I can't turn it off. I have tried the power button, with command control and power with no result etc. I can move the mouse but I can not do anything when I try to give a command. When I push the power button the screen goes black and when I turn it on again it turns at the same screen. It looks like it goes to sleep and wakes up on the same screen. Any suggestion?

P.S I havent tried to take out the battery because I'm scared maybe something worse will happen.

model nr----A1342

by dedej33

Start by resetting your PRAM and SMC. For instructions on how to do that click here and click here. If that doesn't resolve your problem pull your RAM out of their slots and reseat them, then do the resets again. Please let us know the results of these things.

Yeah I would like to do that but first I have to shut down the system. It is still frozen after have tried everything, I think.

by dedej33

He's not able to clear the hang so this won't help.

by Dan

Thanks for the down vote whoever and for what? Try unplugging the magsafe, first. The battery will eventually run out of power and the system will shut down. For some reason it never occurred to me that I would need to tell someone to unplug their computer if it won't power down.

by ABCellars

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! It's been frozen and ticking for an hour! It was kinda funny though - I was watching Tosh.0 w/ the Monster Satan Lady and as soon as Tosh drank the Tea Bag ice tea my mac froze and started ticking. I'm agnostic but !&&*....

by Vicki Dwyer

this happened to me except the the mouse wasn't moving at all. so just hold the power button for a minute or two, or until it turns off. once you have turned it back on hold shift until the apple sign shows up, safe booting. hope this helps

by Danielle

Most Helpful Answer

Don't panic yet!

Did you press and hold the power button for a good minute? That should power down your system.

It sounds like you have an app or the OS in a locked state and the only way to to get out of this is to completely power down the system and restart.

Things you should do afterwards is to check any documents you may have had open at the time to see if they are OK.

You may want to run a virus program and a HD health check using Apple's Disk Utility program using your OS CD/DVD (or bootable USB thumb drive) to boot you system. If you can I would also defrag the HD.

If it happens again you may want to check the apps and any OS add-ons that are running at the time the system freezes up make sure you've got the latest and updated the OS.

Yes I did to hold the power button and turns off(looks like go on sleep) and when it turns on again it just puts the screen at the same point frozen.

by dedej33

Try again holding the power button down longer. Sounds like you weren't able to get the system to do a power shutdown and go into a cold reboot only go in and out of sleep mode. With the built in Batt this is the only way (other than opening up the system to pull the battery power connector off the logic bd)

by Dan

I try to push the power button for long time but not luck. Just turn back at the same frozen screen.

by dedej33

Dedej - It's time to pull the plug! You'll need to open the system to pull the battery connector. Haven't seen one so locked up like this, you may have other problems with the logic bd. For now try this and after a few minutes reconnect the batteries and see if it is able to restart. If your not comfortable doing this and you have an Apple store nearby see if they can reset the system for you.

by Dan

They should not remove the battery with it powered on, that is very bad advice and risks damaging the battery and components on the motherboard.

by ABCellars

I think, after doing these steps you still have to fix the root problem. Unfortunately, this isn’t as easy as it sounds.

• Cleaning out old files
  • Update your Apps and make sure you have updated the computers OS.
  • Upgrade your hardware if your drive is failing and/or add memory

I hope this helps

My MacBook froze and didn't work nothing worked while I was using iMovie, so I held the shut down button for like, a minute and restarted it, pretty slow though, should start working

Hello, i have a similar problem, and i was able tu turn off my computer by **holding the power and esc buttons** at the same time.

-If OS X does not respond totally, the best solution is holding the power button to force it to turn off. And then open it again.

- Macbook gets laggy really?

You can either quit some running heavy app and other software solution such as cleaning up your Mac and decreasing the items in startup list as a temporary solution or upgrade hardware to speed up your mac for long-term smooth working.

Read full solution here: Link text

dedej33 will be eternally grateful.