iPad Wi-Fi

First generation Apple iPad with Wi-Fi, available with 16, 32, or 64 GB. Model Number A1219. Repairs are straightforward and do not require heat.

dropped ipad and bent corner of aluminum case. is this repairable?

I dropped my ipad. The corner by the volume control bent. The glass did not break but the little rubber gasket looks like it came off the glass slightly. Everything works fine, just looks a little beat up on the corner. Is it possible to reshape the aluminum back or replace it?

interested to know if people sand the corners or buff them and what types of materials do they use?

by Brian Schoenbaechler

Most Helpful Answer

If you look very carefully the edge of the rear casing is like a bent lip. I have repaired the rear casings many times as it saves the clients quite a few dollars. I have made myself a dolly/bucking bar that allows me to reform the corners as well as keeping the lip on the edge. You do not have to hit it hard at all as it is aluminium and quite soft.It is also necessary to reform the corners as much as you can as installing the screen is difficult, because the corners that are bent puts pressure on the glass giving you a greater chance of shattering the new screen or keeping the screen lifted away from the main body. I then use a needle file to make the corners smooth from any burrs that might be on there. At the moment I am looking for some liquid rubber to paint on the corners so that if people drop there iPads on the corners the rubber, when dry, takes some of the impact and protects the corner.

Gardner-Bender (GB) sells a liquid electrical insulator. It is rubber and paints on with a brush. I buy mine at Lowes, but probably it is available elsewhere. Radio Shack may have something like it. In days past I believe this product used to be called liquid neoprene rubber.

by Ron kriel

Better than the electrical insulator is Plasti-dip. Comes in both aerosol and dipping can. I get the non aerosol and paint it on carefully. Add as many coats as you like ffor desired thickness.

by Rob Cull

Replacing the back case is the most complex repair for iPad ever. You have to completely take it apart. There is a reason why iPad is only barely repairable. Even apple doesn't repair ipads. they just send them back to the factory, extract the very few valuable parts like the logic board and put them into new case. selling them as refurbs. By standard, you MUST NOT reuse the battery. Battery is very hard to remove and the removed battery is too damaged to be used safely. Also the front panel is held in place by adhesive. The LCD and the panel is sealed together by foam tape. Opening up the iPad wrecks the adhesive and the seal. Causing the front panel to be loosened and dust will keep going into the display unless you thoroughly reapply every adhesive strip and foam tape. There is not much quality left once you open it up. So if the iPad is not damaged beyond use, live with it, don't try to repair it.

I'd live with it unless it's still under warranty. It would be a lot of work to access the case, and to try to bend, push, reform the corner, & reassemble especially if you are new to DIY.

Good Luck,

N.

I have bent and reshaped damaged corners many times, the case is made out of Aluminum and that limits how far it can be bent without breaking, sometimes I have sanded them and this is what I use , http://www.amazon.com/3M-9064NA-9064-Eme..., If this answer was helpful please remember to mark it accepted

Broke my screen when i dropped it again on the sanded corner-.-

by YLL

Brian,

Yep - the best strategy to use is to carefully pull the bent edge outward with precision pliers, and then use a rotary tool with a sanding extension to gently grind the aluminum back into a rounded, smooth condition. The best demonstration, with pictures of that, is posted here: http://blog.etechparts.com/2013/08/26/fi...

......dude just buy a new shell, thinning the aluminum like that is just causing more problems for yourself in the future....well, atleast as long as ipads are relevant in society LMFAO

by Sam Contos

Either call the tool company and ask if someone in your area has the G-Tool featured here: gTool iCorner

Or buy the tool, use it and then sell it on eBay.

Here's a link to the company: http://gtool.com/17/icorner%20ipad%202,3...

You may not need to buy the complete repair set, look further down for say just a corner repair bit.

UPDATE 5/4/2016

Here's a new less expensive alternative. You can always sell it on eBay after using it,

New PlierTek MacBook Pro- Air Display Corner Frame Repair Tool

http://www.pliertek.com/products/plierte...

gTool iCorner Image

Product

gTool iCorner

$324.95

I replaced my rear cover last night. I bought a new one on E-bay, and the Pro Toolkit and replacement clips from iFixit. Other than some cringing while removing the strongly-glued battery and soft foil antenna & cover from the rear cover, it was fairly easy. I wrote a story here:

Link

It isn't a full guide, but it might help.

You can just replace the broken back cover with a new iPad back cover.

Whoever repairs it will most likely wind up breaking the glass just to get the back plate off.

I have a 2nd gen ipad and already had to replace the back. Its no picnic!

honestly, you just need a heatgun and like a thick guitar pick and suction cups or a plastic spatula.

by Sam Contos

also much , much patience and time, try not to hit the screen too directly with the heat, keep the heat-gun moving, the temp. can damage the cells of the screen underneath if it gets too hot.

by Sam Contos

Yes

my is terrible iPad 2 16gb fall of my hand know i need to find body parts

Unless you have pictures or something you can't replace on your iPad , go buy a used one on amazon, it is easier and cheaper than trying to fix it.

by Sam Contos

well, I actually just fixed mine, but it is an ipad air , not quite sure if it is the same for ipad 2nd Gen. On amazon.com there is a seller who has aftermarket ipad aluminum shells, all models, just pick yours, and there are many sellers on amazon.com who carry aftermarket screen replacements. Again, just pick your specific model. The difficulty comes with , Very carefully dis-assembling and taking note of the parts and screws, removing all debris, glass, dust , grease, fingerprints, what have you, then more carefully then before, reassembling your ipad with the replacement parts, sealing the screen back in, is by far the hardest part of this entire assembly.

if the grounding wires for the touchscreen are not properly placed and shielded as they were before you took this thing apart (take notes of what you're doing!) your ipad will gain a mind of it's own and stop responding to your touch-commands, literally the screen cannot understand your motions if it is not properly grounded and resealed to the aluminum case. honestly, if you're clueless right now, buy a new ipad. it's easier. they make them that way on purpose, don't trust any of your buddies that say they can do it, you will notice issues down the road with your ipad. if you KNOW you can fix it, then by all means go on amazon.com and look up your parts and do your homework, if you have even a slight doubt, buy another ipad. Buy a used one if you have to. I'm just trying to help you all out.

.......... . . . . . . to any of you bending or sanding the aluminum, ...... these are CCM made aluminum parts........we all know aluminum under stress fails, so if it has already failed, it will fail again .....in the same spot, but worse. Aftermarket parts are not that expensive.......but then again neither are used ipads, which is basically what you have if you're bending the cases to s#!t . I would suggest this, assess whether or not you ipad is really that special.........and if it is...then go through !&&* to fix it, or waste more than another one costs. If your ipad is not special........which really none of them are, then just buy another one or get a used one cheap somewhere and wipe that sucker clean. Don't waste your time on stuff you know won't solve the problem permanently.

I just replaced my iPad 3 4G housing. It just requires patience and the right tools. The magnifying glasses helped ALOT. The magnetic mat was extremely useful to keep track of the screws and parts. Also, I used medical grade strong precision tweezers, I didnt get a chance to use the one included with the iFixit toolkit. Youtube videos were helpful on gaining confidence for performing the job, but I used the iFixit guides, my own judgement and most importantly patience.

!The internet will tell you that its not worth doing or impossible, but this was my first time and I would not hesitate on doing this again!

Parts used:

Wisehands 10X 15X 20X 25XLED Illuminated Double Eye Magnifying Glasses with 2 LED Light

Medical grade strong precision tweezers (Sorry, I dont have the model name)

Pro Tech Toolkit

Magnetic Project Mat

hello,

there IS a tool to easilly repair the corners and sidewalls of ipads, minis, phones, and pods.

the tool is expensive but ask anybody that has tried to rebend shape these then they will tell you the end result is not pretty looking or does the digitizer sit correctly in most cases.

the tools name gTool

https://www.facebook.com/gToolglobal/

While the die set is a fabulous addition to any repair techs tool box, there is a cheaper solution. If you have a radius gage set the corners can be measured and then the specs can be brought to a machine shop and they can cut on a mill, a block that you can use like a dolly. Slide it in to the corner and a few taps should straight it out. You can also have the machine shop create a inner and outer die set too. This should be very cheap since it's not a very intricate cut. You can always have a set made when you need it rather than buy a 350$ tool you may use a half a dozen times, unless you can afford it...

Yes this is fixable but you will need to replace the aluminum shell which means that you will have to take everything out of the iPad.

In My old house in the dinning room.

This tool works great to straighten iPad and iPhone corners when replacing the digitizer or screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUMCjsLi...

Here are links to the tools

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DNE0ZTU and on eBay http://www.ebay.com/usr/nmpaulcp

tim will be eternally grateful.