iPad Wi-Fi

First generation Apple iPad with Wi-Fi, available with 16, 32, or 64 GB. Model Number A1219. Repairs are straightforward and do not require heat.

dropped ipad and bent corner of aluminum case. is this repairable?

I dropped my ipad. The corner by the volume control bent. The glass did not break but the little rubber gasket looks like it came off the glass slightly. Everything works fine, just looks a little beat up on the corner. Is it possible to reshape the aluminum back or replace it?

interested to know if people sand the corners or buff them and what types of materials do they use?

by Brian Schoenbaechler

Most Helpful Answer

Replacing the back case is the most complex repair for iPad ever. You have to completely take it apart. There is a reason why iPad is only barely repairable. Even apple doesn't repair ipads. they just send them back to the factory, extract the very few valuable parts like the logic board and put them into new case. selling them as refurbs. By standard, you MUST NOT reuse the battery. Battery is very hard to remove and the removed battery is too damaged to be used safely. Also the front panel is held in place by adhesive. The LCD and the panel is sealed together by foam tape. Opening up the iPad wrecks the adhesive and the seal. Causing the front panel to be loosened and dust will keep going into the display unless you thoroughly reapply every adhesive strip and foam tape. There is not much quality left once you open it up. So if the iPad is not damaged beyond use, live with it, don't try to repair it.

I'd live with it unless it's still under warranty. It would be a lot of work to access the case, and to try to bend, push, reform the corner, & reassemble especially if you are new to DIY.

Good Luck,

N.

I have bent and reshaped damaged corners many times, the case is made out of Aluminum and that limits how far it can be bent without breaking, sometimes I have sanded them and this is what I use , http://www.amazon.com/3M-9064NA-9064-Eme..., If this answer was helpful please remember to mark it accepted

Broke my screen when i dropped it again on the sanded corner-.-

by YLL

If you look very carefully the edge of the rear casing is like a bent lip. I have repaired the rear casings many times as it saves the clients quite a few dollars. I have made myself a dolly/bucking bar that allows me to reform the corners as well as keeping the lip on the edge. You do not have to hit it hard at all as it is aluminium and quite soft.It is also necessary to reform the corners as much as you can as installing the screen is difficult, because the corners that are bent puts pressure on the glass giving you a greater chance of shattering the new screen or keeping the screen lifted away from the main body. I then use a needle file to make the corners smooth from any burrs that might be on there. At the moment I am looking for some liquid rubber to paint on the corners so that if people drop there iPads on the corners the rubber, when dry, takes some of the impact and protects the corner.

Gardner-Bender (GB) sells a liquid electrical insulator. It is rubber and paints on with a brush. I buy mine at Lowes, but probably it is available elsewhere. Radio Shack may have something like it. In days past I believe this product used to be called liquid neoprene rubber.

by Ron kriel

Either call the tool company and ask if someone in your area has the G-Tool featured here: gTool iCorner

Or buy the tool, use it and then sell it on eBay.

Here's a link to the company: http://gtool.com/17/icorner%20ipad%202,3...

You may not need to buy the complete repair set, look further down for say just a corner repair bit.

Mentioned Items

gTool iCorner Image

Product

gTool iCorner

Price: $324.95

I replaced my rear cover last night. I bought a new one on E-bay, and the Pro Toolkit and replacement clips from iFixit. Other than some cringing while removing the strongly-glued battery and soft foil antenna & cover from the rear cover, it was fairly easy. I wrote a story here:

Link

It isn't a full guide, but it might help.

You can just replace the broken back cover with a new iPad back cover.

Whoever repairs it will most likely wind up breaking the glass just to get the back plate off.

I have a 2nd gen ipad and already had to replace the back. Its no picnic!

Brian,

Yep - the best strategy to use is to carefully pull the bent edge outward with precision pliers, and then use a rotary tool with a sanding extension to gently grind the aluminum back into a rounded, smooth condition. The best demonstration, with pictures of that, is posted here: http://blog.etechparts.com/2013/08/26/fi...

Yes

tim will be eternally grateful.