0

Wilson DORISCOURT
13

How do I reset the firmware password on my MacBook Pro?

Hi every body, i'm Wilson as you see on the forum. Well i got a macbook pro early 2011 that i bougth from a freind, 2 months ago, the firmware is protected by a password, and it i can not boot form my hdd, when i google it, i found the firmware password should be remove or reset, but i don't know how to reset it. Please help me, because i ain't got any other to work.

Edited by: mayer ( ) , machead3 ( )

11

Tam Nguyen
163

Have you tried this, feed back from the comments in the article says it works;

Add or remove a stick of RAM. Obviously if you have one stick in, add one and if you have two in remove one.

Power on the Mac and immediately press and hold command-option-P-R.

The system will restart with the ‘bong noise’, allow it to do this 3 times. On the third ‘bong’ you can let go of the keys.

The machine will now boot with a cleared password and reset PRAM/NVRAM.

You can then shut down the machine and reconfigure the RAM configuration as yo want it.

Edited by: Dan ( )

Good call--here is a link to the article. + http://www.macworld.com/article/1145418/...

rj713,

wow.......you are great sir..it really worked :D

James Raj,

Wow Thanks a lot

Caballito,

3

Nick

You can do this with a Snow Leopard DVD. Apple sells these for 30.00 or so to this day. However, you may need to check eBay now. I would not recommend a torrent just because you don't know what you're getting.

What you want to do to get it to load is put it in and press the Option key, or C. Either of these should work. If you choose to use the Option key, you need to wait for it to show in the boot devices. C loads it automatically. Think of it as a boot override in the Mac world. Let this thing load. It will take a while.

After it loads, you're going to want to go under Utilities and find the Password reset utility. This should allow you to do it.

Hard Disk Passwords are often encrypted and many vendors will not reset these. Their solution is a new hard disk. The reason for this is the HDP is encrypted, and replacing the drive is cheaper. HOWEVER, some vendors will help you with ownership verification. It's crackable, but high risk at best. If you don't know what the !&&* you're doing with EEPROM code, don't try. The risk of killing a drive with this is VERY real. It may even cost you your data. You can't bypass these if it's there. It will always ask before it can do anything else.

2014 Edit

Being I changed this answer to not read as if I wrote it like I don't care about the quality, I need to update this. Mac computers have used ATMEL chips since 2011 for this password. You can't clear this with the RAM trick anymore, and the solution proposed to the OP may not work, either. Apple is the only one who can remove it now. Yes, I know you can short the ATMEL chip if you know the pinout and other security isn't there like a security chip like the Thinkpads have, but I don't like to talk bout how to execute this on a forums in general. If the machine has a TPM, it may double as a security chip, too.

If you want to short the ATMEL chip out on a 2011 Mac, you're on your own.

Edited by: Nick ( )

2

Sam Busak
1

I am a hardware engineer and former employee of a large computer company with that said i can give you a basic understanding that you can hack or reverse any efi password with the proper tools. all you have to do is reprogram the bios chip with a clean firmware that does not have a password on it. for this you will need a couple of things. first you have to identify the bios chip (microcontroller), then you have to get a .bin file that does not have a password on it and it has to be for your specific machine 2011will not work on 2014 and so on.(that maybe hard to get since manufacturers own this info and do not give it out. thirdly you need the proper tools to do it. eprom programmer once the chip is removed from the board. this is just a basic description. I have seen it done and here is someone that can answer more in depth questions or do it for you.|http://jerseycityrepair.com/macbook-air-...]

ok so here is a picture of the bios chip on the bottom right. It is the chip with 8 legs. it is the MXIC6406e CHIP and it is used in many computers not only macbooks but hp and many others. remember that most components are just that components and every company uses them. just the data onboard the chips are different.

thats the best I can do in a basic explanation. this work is on a engineering level that goes beyond the knowledge of technicians and is fully understood by those that can build a computer from its most basic components and make it work. In other words it not easy but it can be done with some education and skill.

1

SIMRAN

The Best way to unlock your mac is to go to service provider. they will unlock it free of cost if you have Proof of purchase ( billing invoice ). they will unlock it in Approx 10 mins .

An iPhone yes that is the way, a MacBook Pro that is not the way.

Dan,

0

marcio
1

cala boca rapaz sabe nem oque fala tem que trocar o chipe bios o panaca se nao nao tem jeito

0

Bill kenzie
1

Changing the chip is a bogus, not speaking how this is stupid and void warranty...and simply will not work. The solution: You must read the BIOS flash and send the dump to allservice.ro, they can recover or patch the BIOS in order to clear the lock. The S/N and all your settign will remain intact. Those guys a pros. See their forums:

http://allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php...

The BIOS can be programmed in system just fine, there is also a connector for that on the motherboard on almost all models. Just stop spamming dude

Bill kenzie,

0

Riki
47

Sam is partially right,

On newer Macs you MUST have an Authorized Apple Technician (like me) and we MUST speak with our second level support at Apple, they will send us a file to put on a formatted USB thumb drive that will erase the system password.

This is the only way and... there are no connector on the logic board to do this on the MacBook Pro 13 early '11.

So if you have this problem just go to the nearest Apple Store or Apple Premium Service Provider, they will know what to do.

Edited by: Dan ( )

0

anirhadley
1

Please people stop spamming, its easy to remove the system pass-code to the chip (bios) just add or remove RAM and follow the directions

Power on the Mac and immediately press and hold command-option-P-R

Do it a few times it will work

Edited by: Dan ( )

0

Haki
1

Hi my dear

I want to know

I have macbook pro A1278 mild 2010 whit Password bios

I want change bios chip ic

I have ic

25Q064A

13E40

99CHN

208049

Have you same??

Yours sincerely

Haki Rabah

You don't need to swap out the Bios chip and besides the chip would need to be programed before you could use it for the given system.

Dan,

0

mminyan
61

only guys I know that have this already programmed are in jersey city

0

admin
1

www.iunlockefi.com will unlock it fast!

0

hellobue
1

http://www.macrvel.com

The best tool