0

Robin Emley
1

Using a PowerPC iMac screen for an Intel iMac

Hi, I have a 20" PowerPC iMac G5 with a good screen but it keeps locking up.

Apart from the mechanical aspects, I wonder whether the display from this machine would be compatible with a 17" Intel-based 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac that just happens to have a damaged screen.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks,

Rob

Update 16/11/2011:

Problem solved - I've bought a Power Mac!

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Robin Emley ( ) , iRobot ( )

After checking a few other postings, it seems unlikely that this screen would be compatible :( Plan B may be to use an external monitor. I have a faithful old 15" LCD screen which has the 15-pin 'D' style of connector. With the right cable, I wonder whether this could be used as an external monitor for the Intel iMac?

Robin Emley,

3

rj713

According to this previous answer I would think that it should work fine.

Good luck.

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/6530/...

0

George
1

I am using an external monitor with my iMac Intel 5,1 (EMC2118) after the internal monitor quit.

The Mac boots up in extended mode, (2 screens wide)

I took it in to the Genius Bar to see if they could switch it over to mirroring the internal monitor. The genius did it with a couple of keystrokes.

BUT,

the same command (or any others I can find) will not work with MY (original) keyboard or a couple of spares.

Apple tech support had no clue what I was talking about.

The workaround aln't pretty - I had to blindly find & drag the HD icon from the dead screen to the functioning one, then drill down to the control panel to change the display to mirrored.