0

Christopher Beckwith
1

Which screwdriver for replacing ram and hard drive?

I will be purchasing the latest MacBook Pro 15. I will be replacing the RAM and the hard drive. Will I only need one screw driver for both tasks and if so where can I order it for the cheapest (including tax and shipping). Does not need to be high quality as only will be using once or twice. Thanks!

I did some research as I work on Macs all the time and definitely found an outstanding small Philips screw driver to work with the small little case screws found on the aluminum Macbooks. The screw driver is made in Germany by Wiha The model is from their 261 Philips Precision series. wihatools.com Tip size is 00 and length is 40 mm. The end of the screw driver swivels which makes it very easy to work with. The quality is very high. Got it from Amazon … search for B0006OBFOA

rws70,

3

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

Although jcyrus may be correct on the Phillips, for the exact tools you will need we need to know the exact machine you plan to get. Some require a Pentalobe driver. None require pliers. Some require the torx, some don't. Please give a link to the machine you are looking at. Installing your own RAM will more than pay for the saving over Apple installed RAM. Remember that you may have to remove the existing RAM so install the largest stick you can. We can also tell you the maximum amount useable in your new machine if we know what it is.

As noted in my original post I will be getting the latest MacBook Pro 15in. I can't imagine it would be different screws based on what CPU or customizations I chooses if thats what you mean. Have a new MBP every year since the PowerBooks, so installing RAMs no problem. It just they change the screw types often in new models and want to make sure as soon as it arrives I have the right screw driver. I'm taking out the two 2GB ram modules, and replacing with two Crucial 4GB ram modules and a Crucial 256GB SSD. Just hoping to confirm which screwdriver(s) the latest MBP uses. Thanks!

Christopher Beckwith,

There is no tear down yet on the Late 2011 A1286 so we can't be positive but it will probably require the Tri-wing Y1 Screwdriver to get the bottom off: http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Tri-wing-Y1-...

mayer,

Further searches show that Apple may have changed the screws again and they may be just Phillips now. Here's the guide on the Early 2011: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-M...

mayer,

Yeah, I've found conflicting reports. Do you know when iFixit will have an official break down and guide for this particular model? Thanks!

Christopher Beckwith,

3

jcyrus79
49

You will only need a screwdriver for this task and a pair of pliers or a T6 Torx Screwdriver to remove the side anchors on the drives... There are many tutorials on here that can assist you.

Links to cheap supplies:

Phillips #00 Screwdriver

T6 Torx Screwdriver

Would need to know which model (late or early) you have to be able to give you a link to the how-to disassemble.

Hope This Helps :)

T6 Torx Screwdriver

Use to take apart and repair your computer. Swivel top handle with precision tip driver. — 22 available at 9.95 each.

Phillips #00 Screwdriver

Standard Phillips screwdriver used to take apart laptops. Swivel top handle with precision tip driver. — 50+ available at 8.95 each.

I'd replaced RAM on all my past MacBook Pro's. Never heard of needing pliers. Was more just checking to see what screw driver to use since some I know the Airs have the new screw type. As for the model as noted in my post it's the latest Macbook Pro 15. Thanks.

Christopher Beckwith,

For the record the pliers are a cheap way of removing the hard-drive shock mounts if you don't have the appropriate screw-driver for the hard-drive shock mounts. I have used pliers multiple times to do this when I didn't have the appropriate screw driver head handy - as long as your careful easily done.

jcyrus79,

0

Ken
1

RadioShack® 21-Piece Precision Electronic Driver Set

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index....

0

rws70
1

I did some research as I work on Macs all the time and definitely found an outstanding small Philips screw driver to work with the small little case screws found on the aluminum Macbooks.

The screw driver is made in Germany by Wiha.

The model is from their 261 Philips Precision series.

http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/261seri...

Tip size is 00 and length is 40 mm.

The end of the screw driver swivels which makes it very easy to work with.

The quality is very high.

Got it from Amazon here:

www.amazon.com/Wiha-Phillips-Screwdriver-Precision-Handle/dp/B0006OBFOA

Edited by: Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( ) , iRobot ( )