0

Art
1

Fixing an iPod Touch from water damage

I found my son's iPod Touch in the washer machine after the machine had completed it's full cycle.....needless to say, it was submerged at least part of the time.

I dried it off as well as I could (wrapped it in a cloth towel and placed it over a low volume heating device for several hours). All evidence of moisture under the glass screen was then gone.

I then charged the unit for 12 hours and then tried to turn on the unit....to no avail.

Any chance I/you can fix this device...Apple does not address water damaged units as far as I know.

Thanks,

Art Duffy

(c) 508-733-6409

arthur.duffy@yahoo.com

Edited by: mayer ( ) , bac ( )

What gen do you have?

rab777hp,

4

bac

take a look at some of the other answers with the tags liquid spill and water damage.

step one is to let it dry out for at least several days before assessing what might be dead/damaged, it will likely take much longer than 12 hours. be patient and 'don't plug it in or charge it for a while. it will help to dismantle it to let it dry out. in the other answers you will also see a tip to store in a container of uncooked rice to absorb the moisture.

sometimes drying things out for many days will at least show some life or in best case it may work again. my old cellphone went through the wash and appeared completely dead, until I left it to dry in disassembled state for 4-5 days, then it worked perfectly again. good luck

Edited by: Sterling Hirsh ( ) , bac ( )

1

Joyce Kublin
13

I have fixed lots of cellphones and ipods by immersing the item in rubbing alcohol for at least 15 minutes to completely get the alcohol in all parts of the item; then completely drying the item; even using a hair dryer. allow 24 hours of drying before attempting to charge the battery. this protocol was suggested to me by an Apple technician in the Annapolis Valley of NS, Canada. Lots of my friends have used it and saved many cellphones, mp3 players, ipods.

would it work days after trying to dry it out? I put mine in rice about an hour after the damage was presumabley done to my ipod, then put it on my charger the next morning, would this affect the results of using rubbing alchohol?

ave,

1

bigdog91199
13

I fixed mmy ipod touch by immediately soaking the device in 90% rubbing alcohol. This removes the water immediately. Actually I put it in a sealed plastic container with about 200ml of alcohol for about an hour. You need to get the water out asap since there is a battery with charge on it and you are fighting corrosion. Then I dried it in a food dehydrator at 120°F for 24 hours then docked it to my computer and wows it worked. It went through a full wash cycle and was very scratched and the screed had some minor blemishes but it works again.

using a dehydrator is novel... glad it worked

pollytintop,

great answers.

Pairadasea,

0

rab777hp

Pretty much follow bac's advice, if it doesn't work after drying it, try replacing the battery, and you might get lucky. Sometimes it's the logic board, which really sucks. However, other times it's just a display replacement. What I've seen the most is display+battery, and then logic board is pretty much unfixable (it's not worth the time money or effort). A common problem is the screen is not backlit, which means the logic board is damaged.

0

Otto Sargent
1

Soak it in a bowl of rice, worked for a iPhone 3GS!

0

Madhav Menon
1

Just put the iPod in a bowl of rice and please be patient and it will work Thanks