Repair and disassembly guides for GE Microwave ovens.

Door will not open after pushing door button

Microwave door will not open after pushing door button

The standard answer on repairing microwaves is "just say no". These are one of the very few items that almost all of us will not attempt a repair on. They can kill you. They are cheap, easy to replace. Or you can take it to a pro and hope he doesn't get killed.

I stay away from door repairs especially as a misalignment can allow microwaves past the door and blind you. +

Cheap and easy to replace? What if the microwave is a part of a $3K built-in double oven? I am sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Well avxn you feel free to go right ahead. I choose not to risk my life. Besides this answer was not in response to a $3K built -in oven. Was it? I also have have 7237 accepted answers on this, Yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

Go right ahead? Already did. Replaced the safety microswitches on the latch board. A very, very common repair, performed by homeowners many thousands of times, certainly by many more people than who chose to agree with your approach, and that's even before you factor in other common problems, from a burnt-out light bulb to a magnetron, and everything in between. Now look, the microwave in a built-in is of exactly the same construction as a stand-alone, in terms of repairing it, but is is not "cheap and easy to replace" _as a unit_. Furthermore, it is just plain false to state that a DIY repair on _any_ microwave somehow entails an inherent risk of life even if proper requisite precautions are taken. If that's what you imply, would you please care to prove that statement?

if the button won't push in to open the microwave door, one of the little ears that holds the button in place has broke off and is keeping the button fron being depress. Find someone who works on appliances remove the cabinet cover, remove the door release latch, pop out the button and remove the broke ear, pop the button back in, replace the latch, reinstall the cabinet cover and your good to go.

Bingo! Thank you Rick. Using your advice, I found a replacement button (jbtn-b091mfr0a) and spring (505526) online and was able to replace them on my sharp r-530es micro.

Unplugged and let sit an hour to discharge (assumed). Then removed the case (lucked out I had a set of torx bits to get the tamper proof screws out). Then from the inside I removed a single screw on the bottom that retains the control panel. Later when replacing that screw, made sure it was making contact with the metal ring as its hooked to an input on control board. the control panel then can be slid upward a quarter inch to free it, then pulled away. Left all the board connections attached. Pushed the button out from the back and found the tab was broken off and still in the box. The problem came and went depending on where that tab was at.

90 minutes, under $20. I could have afforded a new microwave. But it's ridiculous to toss it out. By the way the design of the button changed to eliminate the tab that broke off.

David - Where is the spring supposed to go? I see diagrams of the button and the door spring but the manufacturer spring does not seem to have enough torque to push the lever to open the microwave door. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The back side of the button has 3 plastic posts about 3/4" wide. The spring fits over the middle post. I think the replacement spring was slightly stronger than the original. But both we sufficient to push the button back out when pressed. Link to the button part here (if post allows) http://www.thriftyapplianceparts.com/jbt...

According to GE when I called there are no replacement parts available for the WES1452SP1SS models. Your only choice is to buy a new microwave. Mine failed after 13 months use - great design huh?

Did you get it at Walmart? Often times, a W in front of the model means that the manufacturer has dumbed down the design to meet Walmart's price point....ie: cheap.

Do you mean I can't fix the plastic spring latch myself? does it have to be taken to a shop.I might as well buy a new one, it would be cheaper than htere prices

russrnus, this question and the answers are already a bit old. It would be best if you ask you own question. Give your model number and describe what is not working. You may get a better answer. Use this link to ask a question http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/Ask/GE+Mic...

buddy will be eternally grateful.