The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

Keyboard ribbon cable connector pin broken

Do I have to get a replacement keyboard if there are two missing pins on the plug in connector that goes from the keyboard to the logic board? The connector seems too delicate to try any soldering techniques that I can handle.

What version macbook do you have?

by rab777hp

What's the model number or EEC number? I probably have the cable you need.

by mayer

Model MA254LL/A MacBook Core Duo 1.83MHz.

I looked at the attachment of the ribbon cable to the track pad and it appears that it is soldered to circuit board. I was able to purchase a Mac for parts on ebay so I will have a replacement keyboard as well as a replacement hinge and internal optical drive both of which need to be replaced. I should end upwith a bunch of extra parts that I can sell or give away. This old Mac should be humming again.

Thanks for the offer but the new (old) part should do the job. Also if you have ever reattached a ribbon under the track board I would be interested in how it is done.

you wouldn't want to try and solder something that small, you would be better off just replacing the whole keyboard, this isn't an excessively expensive part, but depending on your model, may take a little effort to put in.

phugacity will be eternally grateful.