Parts & Tools

{A1706 / EMC 3071}—Released in June 2017, this 13" Macbook Pro features Kaby Lake processors up to 3.5 GHz Core i7 with Turbo Boost up to 4.0 GHz.

How to fix broken/loose key cap

I broke my J key cap when cleaning. The little clip on the back of the key fell ok and now the key is loose. Anything I can do (ie ordering a new key cap) or will I have to take the laptop in?

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

I think it came loose while you were just typing on it.

If so, it is covered by Apple by this Service program:

https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-s...

If you really are sure you did knock it off, then it will probably require an upper case replacement as these new keyboard are almost impossible to work on.

Here’s the part you will need:

MacBook Pro 13" Retina (Touch Bar, Late 2016-2017) Upper Case

MacBook Pro 13" Retina (Touch Bar, Late 2016-2017) Upper Case Image

Product

$209.99

you may be able to push down on the key until it “clicks” on regular keyboard but because the new MacBook pros her those low keyboards with a different mechanism it might be different. you can go to https://support.apple.com/mac to see if people have the same problem.

and what Mayer said

@phonehospital - Max can I ask you to please alter your avatar to something different than the IFIXIT icon. We don't want people assuming you are IFIXIT do we?

ok I will

.

Thanks Max !

You can buy replacement key caps and perhaps the butterfly levers underneath if you can take them off. But if there is anything damaged on the keyboard frame or support, that is going to be an expensive repair.

The new butterfly keys are very fragile! The little tabs snap off taking them off and often times they get distorted trying to put them back on.

I've given up trying Ben, let Apple eat it.

Cody Dutcher will be eternally grateful.