Computers that generally don't include an integrated display, and are meant to be stationary.

Possible hard drive upgrade

Hi all,

On my latest build I have my Windows 7 performance readings at 7.3 or higher except for the hard drive stuck at 5.8. My current drive is a WD 500 GB --7200 rpm and I am considering replacing it with either a 10,000 rpm Raptor or a SSD. Due to my lack of experience with either I am looking for some input on the best way to go.

I personally never just replace a hard drive in my PC, I usually just add a second hard drive. The Windows performance readings really don't mean much. If you're looking for a reliable form of benchmarking, try GeekBench. My main hard drive is a 1TB 7200RPM Western Digital Greendrive. It only gets a 5.9 in Windows. You won't get much better performance, withour upgrading to something like an SSD.

Thanks--this is the kind of info I am looking for. +

Was hoping for more input but doesn't appear likely. The reading I've been doing seems to back up your statement so I'm accepting your answer. Thanks again.

Most Helpful Answer

I passed on this question because it was PC related but it really doesn't matter. I usually put the Raptor drives in machines that get heavy hard drive access and need a higher level of reliance. A heavy duty Mac truck meant for staying on the road all the time for the long haul vs. the high speed sports car. I'l put my money on the Raptor for reliability.

Thanks for your input--do you find the Raptors are noisier than a 7200rpm drive?

yes, but usually just on start up

Even you add an 10.000 rpm disk, should work faster.

Anyway, have you tried to defragment your actual hard disk?

Don't add an SSD or your system will only be faster at boot, but the global system performance will be decreased.

SSD Hard disk drives are only faster reading, but not so fast writting.

rj713 will be eternally grateful.