A television game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment; the PlayStation 4 Slim (CUH-2000 Series) is a thinner replacement model for the original PS4. Announced September 7, 2016.

Water damage on my PS4 Slim

Hi, so my PS4 had a glass of water spilled on it. I unplugged everything and let it sit for a little over a day and just plugged it in and booted it up. The system starts, i can get to my menu and start playing games but about 5-10 minutes into playing, i get the "PS4 is too hot" message. Is my console done for or is there a solution to this? I haven't seen any other thread similar to this. I have a fan blowing onto the console and that seems to help for a couple more minutes.

Edit: After I cleaned the fan, I booted up the console to see that the fan was not spinning at all.

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Hi @yo_hit_this

The only way to possibly get your game console working correctly again is to clean it properly, by dis-assembling it and using IPA 90%+ to clean all the affected parts as outlined below

The water causes corrosion and provides circuit paths for the electricity which were not in the device's operating design and could damage the components.

First do not turn on your console so as to minimize further damage

Then you need to dis-assemble the device and clean all the affected parts using Isopropyl Alcohol 90%+ (available at most pharmacies) to remove all traces of corrosion and water. Do not use "rubbing alcohol" as in some cases this is <70%, can contain scents and is not as effective. If you do check the label to verify the amounts.

Here is a link that describes the process.

Electronics Water Damage

As always with electronics, especially surface mounted PCBs be gentle when handling and especially when brushing away the corrosion. You do not want to remove any components from the board.

Here is a link to the ifixit teardown guide, which may be of some help.

PlayStation 4 Slim Teardown

Hopefully after you have done all this it might possibly work correctly again.

If this process seems too daunting, take your console to a reputable, professional electronics repair service experienced in water damage repair and ask for a quote for a repair. If you decide to do this, do it sooner than later.

Justin Mullen will be eternally grateful.