Parts & Tools

A television game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment; the PlayStation 4 Slim (CUH-2000 Series) is a thinner replacement model for the original PS4. Announced September 7, 2016.

Water damage on my PS4 Slim

Hi, so my PS4 had a glass of water spilled on it. I unplugged everything and let it sit for a little over a day and just plugged it in and booted it up. The system starts, i can get to my menu and start playing games but about 5-10 minutes into playing, i get the "PS4 is too hot" message. Is my console done for or is there a solution to this? I haven't seen any other thread similar to this. I have a fan blowing onto the console and that seems to help for a couple more minutes.

Edit: After I cleaned the fan, I booted up the console to see that the fan was not spinning at all.

How can I get water out of my PS4

my ps4 got water spilt so i dried it it it sparked at first when i lift it while it was off n plugged in i tried to switch it on wat shud i do

the spill also affected the tv but the plug

The same thing happened to me except my ps4 turns on then off does this mean it’s dead completely or am I able to get this repaired

I accidentally left ice on my ps4 and overnight it melted and I guess the water went in the ps4 And now it’s not turning on what do I do?

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Hi @yo_hit_this

The only way to possibly get your game console working correctly again is to clean it properly, by dis-assembling it and using IPA 90%+ to clean all the affected parts as outlined below

The impurities in the water causes corrosion and provides circuit paths for the electricity which were not in the device's operating design and could damage the components.

First do not turn on your console so as to minimize further damage

Then you need to dis-assemble the device and clean all the affected parts using Isopropyl Alcohol 90%+ (available at electronics parts stores) to remove all traces of corrosion and water. Do not use "rubbing alcohol" as in some cases this is <70% IPA, can contain scents and is not as effective. If you do have to use it, check the label to verify the amount of IPA.

Here is a link that describes the process.

Electronics Water Damage

As always with electronics, especially surface mounted PCBs be gentle when handling and especially when brushing away the corrosion. You do not want to remove any components from the board.

Here is a link to the ifixit teardown guide, which may be of some help.

PlayStation 4 Slim Teardown

Hopefully after you have done all this it might possibly work correctly again.

If this process seems too daunting, take your console to a reputable, professional electronics repair service experienced in water damage repair and ask for a quote for a repair. If you decide to do this, do it sooner than later.

Hi @ Alexandrea Harris.

Here’s a link to the ifixit Sony PlayStation 4 Repair guides, which should be of some help in opening the console so that it can be inspected and cleaned.

See the answer above on what to do.

@enstypanda

You can only try to get it working properly again by using the chosen solution above as a guide.

Please do not try to turn it on anymore as you could be creating more damage.

Here's a link to the various ifixit PS4 repair guides if you don't have a PS4 Slim

Take the motherboard out and clean with IPA 99% using a soft toothbrush to gently massage the IPA around the chips, inspect the motherboard for any component damage while doing this. Allow to dry and re-assemble PS4. worked for me.

Justin Mullen will be eternally grateful.