The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Air features fifth generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors, resulting in slightly increased performance and battery life.

MacBook Air only boots to Linux

My wife spilled some water on her MacBook Air (early-2015) a few weeks ago. This killed the battery, but after letting it dry out I found the machine still powers up. However, it gets stuck during boot on the black screen with the Apple logo and progress bar. The progress bar eventually reaches the end, but remains stuck at this point, even after 24 hours.

I was able to boot from a Ubuntu usb and have installed Ubuntu, which boots very quickly and with no problem. However, if I try to boot from a macOS USB, I have the same problem and get stuck with the progress bar. I've also borrowed a friends MacBook Air SSD and put it in the water damaged Air, but still had the same problem - stuck on the progress bar.

Except for the battery, the machine seems to be working well with Ubuntu but not with macOS - any ideas why this is the case and what I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your advice. No luck with booting to Disk Utilities or the repair partition, I have the same problem with the stuck loading progress bar.

I feel like it is not the SSD, as I've swapped it out for another working one and still had the same problem.

Any idea why I can boot to Linux but not macOS?

Try opening from the recovery partition by holding down the Option key on start up and selecting it. Then rune Disk Utilities. That fail do the same but run the reinstall from the repair partition.

Take out the SSD of the water damaged Macbook Air. Use it as an external device using a adapter (can be found on eBay, amazon). Then Re-Install MacOS and hopefully everything will work again. HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE A BACKUP BECAUSE YOU WILL NEED TO ERASE THE DISK!

Nav will be eternally grateful.