Parts & Tools

Aluminum Apple Wired Keyboard

Some keys stopped working on Apple Wired Keyboard

Hey guys!

Can anyone help?

I have an Apple Wired USB Keyboard since 2013 and yesterday some keys stopped to work.

I didnt pay much attention, thought it was a momentary USB glitch, replugged it, and it seemed to help.

But today the trouble returned.

Keys "8", "I", "K", and "," are not working. As you can notice, they're all in a straight line. So it feels like some contact line is dead/malfunctioning.

No, I didnt spill any liquid. Its perfectly dry.

Googled it. Many users report the same problem here and there, but not the real remedy.

Apple's answers are as useless as they should be, deemed to housewives, a la "Check if your house has electricity". :)

If you can give a tech-savvy advice, please do.

PS: If you're going to say "Go buy a new one" - thank you in advance. :)

I'm having the same problem. I know it's not hardware because I can pair with another device and it works fine. This means is software/settings for the device. I can't figure out what settings to change though. Still searching for an answer.

sam issue> som kys no w0rking lol. Mayor's answer is 4 a wireless. ..no help.

Same issue here too, except it's a different like of keys for me: x, s, w, and 2.

Same issue with mine...

I did a teardown (literally) on the wireless one as you can see here:

Apple Wireless Keyboard (A1255) Teardown

Due to the way it's constructed and glued together I saw no way to repair it. So I popped the keys for replacements . They go out and I have never found a way to fix them. P>S> I bought five new ones just this week : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-A1243-MB1...

Mmmmm.... I rinsed it in ethanol and let to dry for 3 days under the sun.

Now it's *completely* dead.

Don't know who have came up with the wild idea of washing a keyboard in any liquid :)

Similarly, I have no idea what could have short-circuited or rusted inside.

Weird...

This happened to me and I found a solution to MY problem (some keys not working)

Click Apple logo (top left), system preferences, Accessibility, mouse and trackpad and make sure ‘enable mouse keys’ IS NOT selected. Works perfect now ☺️

Thank you SOOO much, vatae05! This just solved my problem. Certain keys (J,k,l,m, .) were not working, but only in my log-in, not when other family members logged in. It also started right when I upgraded OS to Catalina. This fixed it.

Thank you so much Vatae05!!!! I accidentally pressed option key for 5 times then the mouse key was enabled! after the "enable mouse keys" unselected, everything works fine!!!! yeah!

I had the same issue with my Apple wireless keyboard. I had two keys not working. Tried all sorts but nothing worked, so I put it back in its box. Three months later I took it out, put new batteries in and it’s worked perfectly ever since. I’m writing this message on it now. Worth a try when all else fails!

I just fixed a wireless keyboard with many non functioning keys. It had had a problem with leaking batteries, which I had cleaned up as best I could.

When the keys misbehaved, I opened up the little plastic hatch in the back to see if anything was obviously wrong. It all looked fine, so I pulled (very delicately!) the ribbon cable out of the place it connects to. I cleaned the cable, and squeezed a bit of rubbing alcohol into the connector. Let it sit for a bit, then blew it out with compressed air. Voila! most of the keys now worked. Repeated the process and now all of the keys work.

I can imagine that connection being the source of many key problems, even without the battery acid.

I have a similar issue with the same keys on an Apple aluminum keyboard, with the numeral pad on the right side. It is wired.

But my issue also includes four keys on the opposite side of the keyboard, 2, w, s, and x. When I type a letter on either side, the letter in the same row on the other side types with it, as in:

wi

sk

x,

28

I have been unable to get it to stop typing two letters when I type one of those keys. But all the other keys on the keyboard work fine.

I have tried a NVRAM reset, and SMC reset, used a USB extension cord, and yes, used 99% electronics alcohol to see if it will do something to clean something and solve the problem — taking the key top off and putting a small amount of the alcohol on the board there and swishing it around. And then shaking it out gentle and turning it upside down, letting that dry for a week or more.

Oddly, it will work for maybe a minute when I first plug in, whether I have cleaned it with the alcohol first or not, as long as it has been unplugged long enough. But after that minute, or once for a few minutes, back to double letters. So, it will work right, it just won’t continue to work right. It so maddening, seeing that it will actually work right for a short time.

I got a second of the same keyboards off eBay. It worked great for about two months. Then out of nowhere, the 2, w, s, and x keys — same ones as four of those on the first keyboard — just stopped working at all, they will not type no matter what I do, all the same things I tried with the other keyboard.

And yes, I looked all into the breakdown of the keyboard — that cannot be done and put back together other than I guess at the factory if even there.

So, sorry, I have no ideas to offer — just another plea for ideas. These things cost WAY too much to just stop working like this, and no solution other than buy a new one! Gee, I have some other keyboards around that are 20+ years old and still work fine, but not the hyper-expensive Apple keyboard.

Well, John Wallace, you don’t have the wired aluminum keyboard, as as I do. No batteries in the wired one, so I can’t try that one. :( And I have already waited three months, after doing the things I listed in my post.

I note, as for batteries, as in the power, I have been using it on a USB 3 port, which has notably more power than USB 2.

I have found entirely too many people online with this same issue — there must be something wrong with the construction/engineering of the aluminum keyboard — but Apple will never admit it, they’ll just sell you another one.

They are beautiful keyboards, nice to work on — just expensive “cheap junk” if they are not made well.

I have the same issue, although with other keys. I've tried all that I found on the internet: reset PRAM, reinstalled the mac os x, made a downgrade to lion, tried another keyboard, changed the batteries, even reseted the imac to factory settings, but nothing worked for more than some minutes. I know it's not a problem with the physical keyborad because i've tested the keyboard on another imac. Don't know what to do anymore.

If anyone finds a solution for a WIRED mac keyboard please tell me i have 3 keyboards in perfect consitions and they all have this issue help…

Someone should bring a class action lawsuit against Apple over this. This is not unique for Apple, Apple has had issues of this sort with various of its machine forever, since way back, even the PPC Macs, and it knows it but always keeps it secret, continues to sell the items, and makes you buy a new one or pay a ton to Apple for repairs for the old one. It never does a recall unless there is an actual danger, such as the item will explode in flames.

And just from this thread and so many others with so many people having the same issue, it is obviously a faulty design and Apple will not take responsibility for it , it won’t even cut the price of the keyboard to something sane! And it keeps selling them!

ot a aswer, but add me to the issue list. As you ca see,my n and v keys dont work on my wired alUminUm keyboard. My other idetical keyboard just lost the spacebar ad ad adds a capital “U” whe pressig the shift key o typig the letterU. Typig with the 2 keyboards right ow. Would be hilarious if these thigs did’t cost $100 ad last oly 3-4 years!

My keyboard stopped letting me use the v, b. n. . . all of a sudden. I just bought a Macally keyboard, it’s all plastic and it feels like a toy, but it works and it was only 20 bucks. Didn’t have time to mess with this, but eventually I will try to get it working.

Mac’s reputation is way better than it should be. This kind of crap happens all the time with all kinds of Macs, and Apple has NEVER taken responsibility for it, in fact charges you high prices to make repairs — or pushes you to buy a new one it knows also will break down. This Mac crap goes all the way back to PPC Macs.

They know these things are not good, they have known it for years, they won’t admit it, and they keep selling them and at prices way over $100. That is my definition of a criminal. And that’s the reputation Apple should have, not a good reputation.

The keys QAZ and shift keys stopped working my wired keyboard, The apple chat line was a complete waste of time, Apple should be ashamed of themselves for not fixing the problem. It’s obviously not a “User” caused problem but an in built fault.. A new key board in Aust. is $173. for about two years use..

Gawler bob

Yes, Bob, you are exactly right — Apple knows this and has known it for along time and does nothing about it, keeps selling what it knows will break down like this. Maybe they can somehow skirt laws when conducting business like this, but to my mind, it is the definition of a criminal to continue to sell you faulty, expensive devices they know will fail.

I have A1255 keyboard (wireless) and 80% of the keys (mostly letters) stopped working. I opened the gray back compartment and it turned out that the main ribbon holding thingy was in the wrong position (up). I slightly tucked the ribbon and put the holder in the down position.

I had previously disassembled the keyboard and must have missed some step putting it back. Or my cat dropped the keyboard from the table and dislodged the ribbon. Or likely both. Now it works.

Thanks @craiglapp2000 for pointing into the right direction with your comment.

Mini Mac will be eternally grateful.