MacBook unibody keyboard ribbon cable won't go in

It is only going in less than 1/16" and won't lock down. I have tried a bit of tape for leverage, I have a good angle on it, it just won't go in. I have the midwall off, and I have plenty of room, it just refuses to go in and lock. what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Did you release the locking tab?

by mayer

Yes I did release the locking tab

by boo

I finally figured it out, and maybe this will help someone else. The cable is a really tight fit, you have to use an uncomfortable amount of force for it to go in. I placed a piece of tape on the connector and then PULLED it in with that. Good luck!

Agreed, pulling it in with tape is the way to go. I used to have trouble with that, too.

by Mike Solin

Thanks so much for the pointer! I couldn't get it in using the spudger alone but the tape and brute force worked perfectly!

by Charles Petrosky

Tape was perfect!!! Thanks for the advice...

by Benjamin

Yes this helped me as well. Used tape and spudger. Thanks!

by robertemcgee

The tape saved my life! Struggled with this on and off for the better part of an hour. Stuck a piece of tape on the ribbon and had it fixed in a few seconds. Marvellous!

by Andrew

Sounds like tape might be the best way to get the cable back in, but if you don't have any tape handy, what worked for me was tweezers. I carefully inserted one side of the cable into the socket, and then with tweezers, gently coaxed the other side of it into the socket. Once it was lined up, I nudged the cable forward until it was all the way in, and then locked it in place with the locking tab. I also use a lamp with a built-in magnifying glass for stuff like this...makes a big difference.

I agree. Using tweezers when working with ribbon cables and sockets is a must.

by lemerise

Omg man thank you so much. To anyone that is expierencing keyboard or turning on problems after dissembling your Mac, please try this out! Half my keyboard and my power button didn't work but this trick just saved me a lot of money. Thanks a million

Thanks for this. The new battery I used, moved this cable caused me to think I had a failed logic board. But I found that this ribbon cable was the culprit.

omg guys thanks so much for this tape trick it saved my life i have a unibody 2008 mbp 13 2.4 laptop i just wanted to change the thermal paste it was nasty and caked on my temps were crazy 80-90 and 70s idle so i changed it and then i replugged everything back in and no power.. the keyboard ribbon was the issue for me as well and the tape only used very little force and it went in and the new artic silver thermal paste worked like a champ idle is 40-50 :D lets see how much longer this laptop lives for :D

boo will be eternally grateful.