Originally known as "The New iMac" the iMac G4 was created to replace the iMac G3 as Apple's all-in-one desktop computer. The G4 is easily recognizable by its swiveling monitor mounted above the hemispherical computer. Steve Jobs quoted it as being "a design that will last till the next decade."

repair hard drive on iMac G4 desktop

I was given the G4 by my mother who barely used it but it stopped working. I took it to the local apple store and had a diagnostic run for $150. and was told it needs a new hard drive.I took it home and havent decicded what to do but was wondering if it was something I could do on my own??? Not sure I want to invest in it but if its not too much I will.Thanks for any help.Its appreciated. Dave

Hi, Here is a link showing how to replace the hard drive on your computer. Just read the directions a few times and go slow and you should have no problems. Good luck

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_...

+ It uses a ATA/IDE drive not an SATA

Dave will be eternally grateful.