Hybrid laptop/tablet manufactured by Microsoft. Released October 2015. Model 1703.

Yellow streak around edge of screen

The screen, when powered will display a long 4"dark yellow streak on the left side, a short streak on the top and right side. These streaks darken the longer the computer is on. I can press on the display and where my finger was will clear to normal but return to yellow quickly.

Most Helpful Answer

I had the same thing happen to my surface book.

It is a problem with the heat generated behind the screen. Mine happened when I left the computer in my bag and it woke up from sleep and kept running until the battery died.

I called Microsoft about it, and they had me send it back under warranty. They replaced it with a new surface book within 3 days.

I think it's a good idea to avoid charging it while you're using the computer, if that is possible. I think you are generally okay if it has a full charge and have a Surface Dock or charger attached.

My recommendation is that if it is very warm to the touch, either shut down the computer and charge it up, or stop charging it. You can try dimming the display which may help reduce the load, but if it's already hot it's that's probably not enough to cool it down.

Just watch for overheating. If it is hot to the touch, you are headed for trouble.

My SurfaceBook Pro had the same issue with the addition of a screen bulge. I honestly didn't even notice the screen had bulged until I started seeking help. I contacted MS Support and they replaced my 3yo SBP at no cost to me; it was not under warranty any longer.

Here are the images I sent them: https://imgur.com/a/MJ7FPBK

That sounds promising. How did you contact them?

Thank you for posting that. I contacted them after reading your post. Even though my Surface Pro is out of warranty (2 1/2 years old), they created a service order and are sending me a box, which will arrive tomorrow or the next day. So far, they have not talked about payment so I assume they will not be charging me.

It is continuing to degrade, now on all 4 edges. The entire detachable has screen has slightly "curled". The stripes get larger and darker as the day progresses. So far i can still work with it. It really shows itself when the monitor is showing "gray scale". If i am watching a vid or a program that displays colors it is less annoying.

I have read somewhere that it may be a glue issue. At the end of each day, I place padding between the screen and keyboard and then used binder clips to apply pressure to reseat the glue. So far, no joy.

I had this 'issue' on a Surface 3 and a Surface Pro 3 (the latter has been sold). In both cases someone had applied a lot of pressure to the display from the front, I think someone sat on my Surface (don't ask how, no one admitted it anyway). It doesn't bother me but then your Surface Book cost 4-5 times more.

I had this happen on my Surface 4 Pro, on the left side of the screen. Not too long after I saw the stripe, the left side of the screen buckled out away from the backing (so it no longer folds absolutely flat. The surface still works ok. But now I see the yellow stripe on the right of the screen and wonder, if it is a glue defect, if that side will buckle out as well. Up until now, I thought this was an issue of overheating. My Surface is long past it's warranty, unfortunately.

Here is an update, I hope it helps someone.

As I posted in response to Raymond Piller, my Surface Pro 4 was out of warranty when this happened, but after reading these posts I went ahead and contacted Microsoft Surface Support. They had me send pictures. Then, they created a service order. The title of the service order is "Expanded Battery". I thought that was interesting so I looked between the screen and the backing, and sure enough, the battery appeared to have ballooned. Just FYI, I was supposed to get shipping materials within 2 days, but they did not come, and I had to contact Microsoft several times. They finally were able to follow up, and I got the shipping materials recently, and have sent it off to them now.

My Surface Book display started with the yellow spots, then the display started to detach from the frame. I noticed the display frame was getting warped. After about three weeks I couldn't detach the display from the keyboard and discovered that removing power from the keyboard would shut down the computer. I figured out how to manually remove the display and discovered the display battery was not charging and when power was removed from the display only, it would shut down. It would work on battery, but since it wouldn't charge I didn't do that. It was at that point I sent it in for repair. It was an expensive repair, but I now have a like new Surface Book.

My theory was that the fan failed in the display (I'm assuming there is at least one) and the display would overheat leading to all the problems. I can't prove that as I never got a report on what was wrong, but I do know my display would get very hot to the touch at times.

What repair did you use??

As I mentioned, I sent it into Microsoft for repair. Unfortunately it was no longer under warranty, so it was expensive. But I got what looks like a new Surface Book out of the deal so I'm happy. When it started as just a display problem, it wasn't worth it to me, but when it failed to charge and the display was warping and coming detached, I opted to send it in. The repair just looked to difficult for me. And it may have required fans, batteries, a display and who knows what else.

How much did it cost bcuz I have the same problem as you.

Clipboard doesn't charge and it's out of warranty

It was roughly $600, but I did get what looks like a new Surface Book. My original Surface Book had two years of wear to the keyboard and display. The back of the display had a dent in the cover, some keys on the keyboard had wear from fingernails, and the keyboard unit had scratches where I used a binder clip as stress relief for the power cable. It was nice to get a like new unit for the high repair price.

John Scott will be eternally grateful.