Hybrid laptop/tablet manufactured by Microsoft. Released October 2015. Model 1703.

Yellow streak around edge of screen

The screen, when powered will display a long 4"dark yellow streak on the left side, a short streak on the top and right side. These streaks darken the longer the computer is on. I can press on the display and where my finger was will clear to normal but return to yellow quickly.

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Most Helpful Answer

It is continuing to degrade, now on all 4 edges. The entire detachable has screen has slightly "curled". The stripes get larger and darker as the day progresses. So far i can still work with it. It really shows itself when the monitor is showing "gray scale". If i am watching a vid or a program that displays colors it is less annoying.

I have read somewhere that it may be a glue issue. At the end of each day, I place padding between the screen and keyboard and then used binder clips to apply pressure to reseat the glue. So far, no joy.

I had this 'issue' on a Surface 3 and a Surface Pro 3 (the latter has been sold). In both cases someone had applied a lot of pressure to the display from the front, I think someone sat on my Surface (don't ask how, no one admitted it anyway). It doesn't bother me but then your Surface Book cost 4-5 times more.

I had this happen on my Surface 4 Pro, on the left side of the screen. Not too long after I saw the stripe, the left side of the screen buckled out away from the backing (so it no longer folds absolutely flat. The surface still works ok. But now I see the yellow stripe on the right of the screen and wonder, if it is a glue defect, if that side will buckle out as well. Up until now, I thought this was an issue of overheating. My Surface is long past it's warranty, unfortunately.

My Surface Book display started with the yellow spots, then the display started to detach from the frame. I noticed the display frame was getting warped. After about three weeks I couldn't detach the display from the keyboard and discovered that removing power from the keyboard would shut down the computer. I figured out how to manually remove the display and discovered the display battery was not charging and when power was removed from the display only, it would shut down. It would work on battery, but since it wouldn't charge I didn't do that. It was at that point I sent it in for repair. It was an expensive repair, but I now have a like new Surface Book.

My theory was that the fan failed in the display (I'm assuming there is at least one) and the display would overheat leading to all the problems. I can't prove that as I never got a report on what was wrong, but I do know my display would get very hot to the touch at times.

John Scott will be eternally grateful.