The Xbox One Wireless Controller 1697 was released in 2015 and replaced the 1537 controller and fixes some of the problems found on Model 1537 controllers. The Model 1697 controller includes an integrated 3.5mm headset jack, which allows compatibility with most 3rd party headsets without an adapter. This controller has been discontinued and replaced by the Model 1708 controller.

My headset sporadically works

On my 6 month old xbox one s controller, the headset seldom works. It worked fine for a while then all of the sudden it stops playing audio and recording. Then several days later I thought, "what the heck maybe it was a fluke" and it worked. Then the next day they no longer worked. I know it's not the headset because the work fine when plugged into a phone or computer and the xbox does register that they are connected. I can change the headset volume and all that but still no sound. Is the audio jack bad. If so, how to I fix this short of buying a new controller. Any help would be appreciated.

My mic was sporadically working then not at all. Exchanged the 2 month old controller for a new one and the mic magically works. The problem is with the controllers.

I have found a solution for myself! Get rid of the heap of junk Xbox one console altogether and go to the PS4, seeming as Xbox continue to fail to fix problems that the PS4 doesn’t have

Use some compressed air to blow out the headphone jack port, maybe some lint got in there.

Yes! This actually worked. I think I tried blowing in it before but for whatever reason this did it. Thank you so much

it dosent work with me :(

and i have the exact same issue

I also have this problem... I can hear Audio but I can’t talk. I tried switching my controller and it still didn’t work

I'm having the same problem on my Xbox One X. It's intermittent. My headset and controller work just fine. So annoying. And when I do get it working (after trying so many options), I can never figure out what I even did, or if it just decided to work again on it's own. I'm using Turtle Beach Elite Pro headset with audio adaptor. I have 3 different model audio adaptors that plug into the bottom of the headset (Microsofts, Turtle Beach audio adaptor plus, and Turtle Beach Elite audio adaptor) and it works intermittently with all of them. My equipment doesn't seem to be the issue. It has to be the Xbox/Microsoft software, but I can't seem to find a solution.

I have the same problem as mjmason75 and it only started this weekend and its super annoying.

Most Helpful Answer

Hello all, we're having exactly the same problems here and it is driving us nuts. I bought a new controller and that worked for 3days and now it can't find the mic again. That's 3 controllers for us and multiple headsets. I can definitely confirm that it isn't a broken controller or headset. Yesterday, by complete fluke it worked once for for 5 minutes and nothing since. It isn't router problems either as I've checked this. Microsoft need to get a fix for this asap - never seen anything like it. The problem is, is that it doesn't seem to effect everyone

Having the exact issues. I've bought 3 controllers and 2 headsets. Realizing that it is not the headsets as they seem to work on my PC and Phones. How can the controllers go bad so fast? Very disappointed

Ok I've had this problem today with my sons headset on the xbox1s. I did confirm it wasn't the controller or headset by using other controllers. And testing the headset on both pc.android phone. And ps4 and switch. Headset was all good. After much troubleshooting and going nuts. I simply changed a audio setting called (headset chat mixer). Which seemed to open up the headset and everything was working again. Sorry typing this on my phone. I hope this helps someone...

What i did was go my audio setting and under “Headset chat mixer” turned it all the way down. Seems theres a bug that flips the levels for whatever reason hopes that helps!

I cannot find a "headset chat mixer" anywhere. My son is flipping out. We are having the same issues as noted above and in the top right hand corner the muted microphone icon appeared out of nowhere yesterday. We rebooted many times and nothing is working. We cannot even get to the volume section in settings. It will not let us click on it. HELP!!!

I have had the exact same problem I am very confused. Microsoft needs to fix this now or they will start losing players, it has happened to other friends now we have to open a chat app on our iPads when we play games so we can communicate!!!

Ok, after experiencing this as an intermittent issue for a few months, today it affected three Xbox Ones, seven controllers, and four headsets. I tried turning off instant-on, reprogramming controllers to other consoles, changing all audio settings, with all different combinations of equipment.

The ONLY thing that worked at all was to insert the 3.5mm jack into the controller VERY slowly. I pushed it in until the Xbox showed the headset connection and then pushed all the way in. This low-tech hack idiocy actually seems to work as a temp fix.

Has anyone found a solution. I am having same problem with child's headset the Astro A10 for xbox one...I'm crazy with this ..help

There is no answer for this.

Microsoft won't address it either. This happened after an update in 2017.

Multiple controllers, headsets, and a wireless USB headset all fail to connect. The Xbox does it randomly. It only works when it wants to.

Which headset are you using? I have the XBOX ONE S, and my headsetseems its no fuctionning takes a few seconds, to boot then works, ensure it is properly plugged in, if not try other mics to ensure it is not the jack and simply not the mic. Replacing the audio jack, is quite drastic; in light of no evidence of it being the issue. Try others let us know.

It's a planatronics 400hx. It's not a matter of time cause of left it in for several minutes. Also I don't think it's the headset just cause it works fine with my phone and computer. I've tried putting it in slowly, halfway, giving it a gentle wiggle but nothing. And it makes a noise when I plug them in but no game sound. I will try another headset just to be sure. Thanks

If another headset does not work its the controller itself

Same with me. The headset works with anything else but when I plug it into the Xbox One s controller it doesn't work. I can here a little sound like static but that's it. I've read elsewhere sometimes the controller has problems where the jack is. Only bought the controller/console set on Nov so going to take the controller back tomorrow and get the store to look at it.

Thank u that worked for me

Have the same problem as everyone else. Headset worked for about 2 months then sporadically worked, bought a new xbox headset last night, that didn’t work. Plugged the new headset into each of the two extra controllers I have and it still doesn’t work. I don’t know where my problem is right now. I doubt all three of my controllers are bad and I doubt the brand new headset is bad. Honestly, I doubt at this point the first headset is bad! Help!

That is. Uncanny . Everything you have said , from spare wireless controllers to new Xbox headset has happened to us aswell ..yesterday .. I took my turtle beach back to Argos , which we bought just before xmas..( I had replacement care).. changed it for an Xbox controller .. ( more expensive and paid for replacement care again ...only to come home .. and the same thing happened .... so like you... don't know where issue lies ... Xbox support weren't overly helpful either ... but don't know where to go from here .. .. ???probably nothing wrong with original headset......just finding Xbox very time consuming and expensive ...not to mention the shouting and screaming on fortnite.......... can you post on here if you have any succcess please... thanks

I too have same issue, just stopped working on Tuesday, just gone, tried both controllers, bought new headset to no avail. Carried out ALL trouble shooting available online AND with Microsoft Web chat..... end result they deemed the console was at fault and needs replacing at a cost of £131!! Cannot see how can be console fault. Controllers work fine, games play fine. Just not recognising that headset it connected (symbol shows microphone, with a crossed out symbol across it). Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated as my son's doing my head in!! Fortnites not the same when you can't scream through a head set, in case you didn't know

I'm currently having the same issue and have tried almost every troubleshoot (including verifying that the controller is assigned to the profile.) Last bit of advice i'm going to try tonight is resetting my xbox to factory settings, while retaining my downloaded games. Hope this resets some aspect of the software. I will send an up

update to the situation tomorrow

Original Xbox One launch day. Fully updated. Headset doesn’t work. Original Headset (one with a single earphone and mic) as well as a brand new turtle beach plugged into headphone jack and another headphone with mic. I’ve tried each of the above three headphones plugged into 5 different controllers. I have reset my Xbox one (minus removing the games and apps). I have changed my privacy settings to adult. When I start a party, without the headset connected, it will indicate that the headset is not there. I can then connect the headsets and the message goes away. I can mute using the Y button, and unmute. I can use the inline microphone mute button and unmute. Yet, when I speak in the microphone, when all unmuted, the icon next to my name doesn’t flash. I have also had people in the room confirm that I’m speaking ;-). This isn’t a lint problem. It’s not a controller problem. I’ve validated network settings including NAT settings come back as good. Anything else I’m missing?

Try restarting your xbox then when it turns back on re-sync the controllers via the bluetooth button the plug the mic in, very frustrating problem but this worked for me. Hope that helps someone!

The jack in the controller is non soldered, it alows play rather than snapping out. If you pop the controller apart (watch a tutorial on you tube) and gently bend the pins out to make more of a contact, add a tiny pad to put a bit more preasure on it, I will stop cutting out. I had to do this with both my controllers as they were always cutting out even after having them for 2 days , now I don’t have any issues. Be aware though that opening a controller will void the warranty.

Having same problem any solutions other than taking controller apart was working last night woke up this morning and it wasn’t working microphone crossed out on screen

Any solution? Same issue with my son's...

Same with me.. Went and got a new controller worked for about 4 days and happened again.. Tried the new controller on another xbox and it worked.. Definitely an xbox problem.. Something Microsoft should look into fixing ASAP..

Same issues as everyone....how is this still happening??? We tried syncing and bought new headsets and tried different Xbox One controllers....how has this not been fixed? Very frustrating as my son will play one day and it’s fine and now it’s not working again :(

Microsoft should have never bought Xbox in the first place.. all cheap material from China. EVERYBODY I know has same problem. Surprised there is no law suit for selling defective items.

I have a slightly different problem.

My Xbox One controller has the jack built into the controller.

Various other headphones, and earbuds work with the controller.

Which means the controller jack works.

My headphones used to work, 7/29/18 "when they last worked". I go to use them today I get a mute Icon as well as my headphones not working at all, all that happens is a popping noise from one side from the headphones, the side changes for some reason sometimes, So this would mean that my headphones are receiving power, but not being recognized by the Xbox as a audio device.

The same headphones work on my laptop, 3ds, and MP3 player.

I just get no system audio from the Xbox One to the Headphones.

Xbox One: Gen 1 System, Update 7/10/18

Controller: Model 1697, Headphone Jack Working.

Headphones: Koss UR-20 Home Headphones, Speakers Working, Jack Working.

We have the same problem. Does anyone have a solution?

Did the problem start after anyone had streamed their xbox to a computer?

I’m also having the same problem. Twin boys, school holidays and the inability to scream at their friends whilst playing Fortnite is causing a meltdown in this household. I’ve tried everything that everyone’s suggested and nothing works. Does anyone have any other ideas, I’m slowly losing the will to live?

I have had the same issue as most others on here. It may be little more than a coincidence, but it just seems pretty odd that my Xbox one would come on by itself, then not allow me to use my head phones at all. Common issues with the Xbox one system turning on by itself is dust particles turning it on or something too close to the touch pad, but this cannot be when my systems front panel is in a dust free area(container) that is grounded for static electricity and there is nothing remotely close to the power button. Why the headphone jack stop working all of a sudden after is sounding like an internal hack issues in the software coding that could cause the issue, or just a faulty system. Jack has been cleaned, New controllers have been used, a second gaming system was also tested and the system worked fine for a while and started exhibiting the same symptoms shortly after one of the latest updates. What is going on here?

Had the same problem for months. Nothing will fix it.

Two sons both experiencing the same headset issue.

Multiple headsets and new controllers later… the problem persists.

The lack of response from Msoft is disgusting. Will be buying a Playstation next time.

Had same issue and fixed it like this

open up controller and take out the port for headphone jack .. bend the gold connectors back alil so it has a good connection to mother board than you will see the gold connectors that’s inside where the headphone jack touches bend those a lot so they all have full contact when you plug in jack I did that by using a thumb tack .. all my controllers work now did it to everyone

Cause of it is from constantly plugging in and out headphones making the contact spread open causing no contact

I have had the same problem tried everything, they had the idea of taking out the controller charger and putting it back in firmly. This seemed to work for myself, hopefully it works for anyone else.

Andrew Kieffer will be eternally grateful.