The Xbox One Wireless Controller 1697 was released in 2016 and replaced the 1537 controller. This version of the controller adds a 3.5mm headphone jack, which means the 3.5mm headset adapter is no longer required to use a 3rd party headset. This controller is now discontinued and is fully replaced by the Model 1708 controller.

My headset sporadically works

On my 6 month old xbox one s controller, the headset seldom works. It worked fine for a while then all of the sudden it stops playing audio and recording. Then several days later I thought, "what the heck maybe it was a fluke" and it worked. Then the next day they no longer worked. I know it's not the headset because the work fine when plugged into a phone or computer and the xbox does register that they are connected. I can change the headset volume and all that but still no sound. Is the audio jack bad. If so, how to I fix this short of buying a new controller. Any help would be appreciated.

Use some compressed air to blow out the headphone jack port, maybe some lint got in there.

Yes! This actually worked. I think I tried blowing in it before but for whatever reason this did it. Thank you so much

Which headset are you using? I have the XBOX ONE S, and my headsetseems its no fuctionning takes a few seconds, to boot then works, ensure it is properly plugged in, if not try other mics to ensure it is not the jack and simply not the mic. Replacing the audio jack, is quite drastic; in light of no evidence of it being the issue. Try others let us know.

It's a planatronics 400hx. It's not a matter of time cause of left it in for several minutes. Also I don't think it's the headset just cause it works fine with my phone and computer. I've tried putting it in slowly, halfway, giving it a gentle wiggle but nothing. And it makes a noise when I plug them in but no game sound. I will try another headset just to be sure. Thanks

If another headset does not work its the controller itself

Andrew Kieffer will be eternally grateful.