1.5 Core Solo, 1.66 or 1.83 Core Duo, or 1.83 or 2 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Stuck at grey start up screen

Recently my mac mini will not boot up. The mini gets stuck at the grey start up screen with the apple logo. I tried to boot from OSX install disc no success. I tried pretty much everything but to no avail. I have unplugged it, tried to reset it, no success. I ran the hardware test which I could start and it came back ok. I started the mini in target mode and was able to use its hard drive to boot and start another mini . Anyone have any ideas?

Here is a link to an Apple guide to clearing startup issues--hope it helps.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1417

Ok we all don't know if the failure is a HW or SW issue.

So do this:

Hold CMD + V for Verbose Mode during Startup - Where do the System hang? Write down the last three Lines.

When you don't see the spinning wheel then something with the HW need to be checked. I suggest an RAM or MLB failure. So check first Verbose Mode.

Bye

Try holding option at startup

Hi, I have this same problem, except the usb apple keyboard also doesn't respond..no caps light or anything..so I can't put it in certain modes.....this happened after a power outage in the area.

Frank will be eternally grateful.