Released September 16, 2016. Models A1661, A1784, and A1785. Available in 32, 128, or 256 GB configurations in Rose gold, gold, silver, black, jet black, and (Product)Red.

Home button too sensitive after screen replacement

Hello, I have got question for ifixit community!

I had replaced a display on iPhone 7 plus for my customer. Everything works fine, but home button not. Touch Id works properly but home button clicks only on finger on. For example; I can't make double-tap for one hand control, because only on touch it clicks.

Had anyone this problem? Some reasons?

Thank you, Victor

I bet the plate is upside down

Hello, I think that too, but I only switch 2 original displays. (Only Home buttons) and their bracket (I check if bracket is in correct position)

@tomchai is correct for the most reasonable solution. I only say that because I have come across this. If you press on the home button and it clicks like a 6s then its the bracket underneath the home button. It needs to be inspected and see if it needs tightening.

This is NOT a solution, just adding my experiences!

I got a my first "freaky Home button" today, and no adjustment of the screw (the one in the HB itself) would cure, or even reduce the crazy random activation of the "click".

Neither did bending the bracket in various directions, or anything else.. It did however, seem to help a little bit, to wipe off the grease off the key, but after 5-8 "clicking's", it freaks out again..

It's a temporary error.. sometimes, especially with the screen off the frame, it seems to behave slightly better.

According to the customer, the problem first occurred after another shop put on a copy.. and they also pinched the flex cable but screen still worked.

The LCD assembly which is on now, is an original refurb.. I fiddled around with this abt an hour now, and begin to worry abt the health of the screen flex cables, so any suggestions would be appreciated !

PS: I don't see how one could flip the HB bracket.. is it even possible?

Agreed the HB securing plate will not assemble in flip mode.

Costadelsol

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Most Helpful Answer

Hey Guys

Time for facts.. As no one commented on my post above, I talked to my (highly skilled) SMD repair connection, and it turend out, that he knew both the issue, and the cure.

This annoying "double click" is caused by a damaged BGA soldering, on one of the small components on the HB flex, and arise when forcing the HB flex off the screen frame to fast, and without heat. Adjusting the screw as suggested elsewhere in this thread, will just arc the flexcable in slightly different positions, and thus the loose component might (in some cases), achieve connections required to function properly. In other cases (mine), not so much.

The correct repair, is to re-solder the HB Flex componment.

To avoid this in the future, heat the glass just right of the HB, to abt 60-70 degree celcius, and use something very thin, to slowly pry off the flexcable towards the HB key. I did it like this from day one, and haven't had this problem once. DO NOT heat up the HB key it self.. I am sure it will "break" somehow, and render your (or your customers) i7 useless.

I hope this will help some of you! ;-)

FIX4U.DK - what part of the home button needs re-soldering?

Sorry Kyle, I was away on holiday, and thus didn't see your question before now, and I'm afraid that theres no universal answer to that question. It depends on wich flex cable track got torn, or bent one to many times, or wich component lost a "BGA solder connection".. The HB flex is much more fragile, than one could be lead to believe. In this case, I think it was multiple tracks in the flex it self, and also one of the components. BTW, the same phone came back after a short while, bootlooping (Apple logo,, on/off), and had to have more HB Flex tracks repaired. I did not do these repairs, my very skilled micro-soldering-SMD-repair guy did. (External service)

And sorry btw, that this "solution", is more like a "explanation".. There's no universal fix or cure for this, or any of the other i7 / i8-HB related issues, unless you find someone with knowledge, experience, and a microscope. That THISrepair succeeded was "a miracle" and TO many hours work (he was abt to give up several times).

This construction has branded i7 and i8 "Generally a bad phone-choice" in my eyes, and I recommend my customers NOT to buy them. I changed hundreds and hundreds of HB-keys, and Switches on the previous iPhone models, but for all the owners of these models, this issue will now mean an expensive "Apple-swap", or scrapping the phone.

Readjust the screw right underneath the button, careful not to make it too loose or the button may leak water.

On a second thought, maybe you are not aiming for water resistance anyway, so just normal tightness and not too tight to break it, not too loose so it may come off and end you up with a dead forever button.

You mean put screw directly in home button without metal bracket?

No, adjust its tightness.

Sorry, I don't understand...

But thanks for your help :) Home button doesnt work normally outside of phone too.. I dont know what this can be.. Without bracket, with bracket, inside, outside, nothing works... Home button is too sensitive. I only put finger on it, and it clicks 2-times or more.. Not like on normal iphone 7, when I put finger on home button, it doesnt make anything..

I have the same problem, it has been after water damage

There are 4 screws holding the bracket. Could it be the center one is too tight??? Or maybe any of the others???? I do not think it is connector.

I don't need to keep water-resistance.. But I check home button outside of display and it doesnt respond pressure I think.. Can I damaged pressure sensor?

Same problem here. What component should I️ solder?

Hi Victor

I have exactly the same problem I am going to approach the central screw tension in the underside of the Touch I/D sensor securing plate as a first step.

Costadelsol

Hi

There does not seem to be a definite answer to this problem I finished up dismantling the Home button on the clients phone and re-assembling it extremely carefully, to my amazement the home button took a harder press for activation, the over sensitivity problem had gone so I an still in a quandary why the situation occurred in the first instance.

Here's to the next iPhone 7 repair.

Costadelsol

Victor will be eternally grateful.