Released September 16, 2016. Model 1778,1784 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

Rear camera glass replacement

Anyone know how to replace the iPhone 7 Plus rear camera glass? Mine has cracked. Apple won't replace for free.

You can buy this: https://www.everafterguide.com/unifix-re...

But how to get the old piece out? It's more than just a layer of glass. If tried to heat it up, but still not budging.

Anyone done this? Thanks.

Just curious how much did apple charge for it to be replaced?

Not sure of price. They just said standard out of warranty price as the damage wasn't covered by warranty.

Ah. I see what you mean. Most likely out of warranty replacement price which would be significantly expensive.

So I replaced the camera glass. Had to open the phone up and then it's a simple job.

Got everything back fine. Phone works as it did before...EXCEPT...

The contactless function of Apple Pay appears to now longer work. It worked perfectly before...

What did I do???

I think you should watch this iPhone 7 Plus Camera Glass Replacement

Video shows how to replace the rear camera glass.

Thank you! I think I'll accept this is confirmation that the phone needs dismantling to do this.

It's a shame as the glass clearly pops outwards.

I'm deciding on doing this or just replacing the rear housing as the original is fairly scratched.

Thanks again though!

Most Helpful Answer

@gmbeee , Graham , The links below may help in the removal of the lens on your iPhone 7. Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeDktasa...

iPhone 7 Plus Teardown

This is useful thanks. But I'm still unsure how the part is held into the housing. I'm guessing it is a waterproof sealant. Maybe apple are right and this isn't replaceable.

Apple says a lot of things about its devices are unrepairable, yet we repair them every day. Including a blown backlight IC that took with it two layers of the board and I was still able to repair it just this past week.

For older models, we used to push the glass out from the inside of the frame of a donor phone/housing, using preferably a plastic tool. A bit of heating first did help. Then clean the edges of the opening with IPA on the receiving frame, dab it with glue, and insert the new glass. Clamp and wait for the glue to set. Never came back.

Graham will be eternally grateful.