iPhone keeps saying "incorrect password" when connecting to wifi

i bought an iphone 5 and when i tried to connect it to my wifi network it says the password is incorrect( i know it s correct) i think it´s not my router because my ipad wifi work normally. i tried to reset network settings, reset the iphone and restoring it too but doesn´t worked. maybe changing wifi antenna would fix it? or it is a wifi module problem?

Did you already solved this problem? I'm having the same problem. Please respond, it's getting really irritating :(

I have the same problem. I have tried many ways, but it still doesn't work. Someone please help me!

Same problem with a 5 SE, no solutions to be found anywhere, I have traveled extensively through cyberspace looking for some kind of answer, but so far have found nothing. If anyone who does have an idea reads this could you please post the idea here, I'm prepared to try pretty much anything at the moment, including throwing my iPhone off the balcony in frustration... I'm really sick of spending my precious free time trying to sort out bullsh*t with expensive hardware. This phone has been a big waste of time & money. Thanks Apple.

Mine is Iphone 6. No more Iphone in the future.

I have an ipad air 2 with the same problem, stupid Apple

Most Helpful Answer

iOS 9 brings its own share of inherent bugs and post-update issues such as persistent Wi-Fi connectivity problems like any other major iOS update. Some of the recently reported issues include inability to connect to a Wi-Fi network, unexpected error messages with incorrect password entries, intermittent connection issues and/or extremely slow connection speeds.

Check out a few simple tips and tricks (below) to fix the Wi-Fi connectivity problems on your device running iOS 9:

Reset network settings

Several connectivity problems can easily be resolved by simply resetting the network settings, which will clear the memory caches and DHCP settings to get the default or factory recommended settings. Here is how to reset network settings: Open Settings app > go to Settings > General > Reset and tap on Reset Network Settings.

Force Restart

Force restarting your iOS device is the preliminary step that you should try before anything else. Press and hold Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds and then release them once the screen shows the Apple logo, following the reboot.

Disable Wi-Fi networking services

Several users have reportedly resolved Wi-Fi connectivity issues by simply disabling Wi-Fi networking services. Here is what you should do: Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services and disable Wi-Fi networking services from there. Note: This will only disable location services for Wi-Fi networking, but it will not affect Wi-Fi functionality entirely.

Forget Wi-Fi network to fix password incorrect prompt

Those who are unable to connect to any Wi-Fi network due to unexpected errors with password prompts (despite entering the right password), can try forgetting the Wi-Fi network and then attempt rejoining the network.

To accomplish this, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and then select your Wi-Fi network from the list by tapping on it. Then tap on Forget This Network option. A pop-up message will appear on screen asking your confirmation to forget the chosen Wi-Fi network. Just tap on Forget option to forget the network.

Now try rejoining the Wi-Fi network by going to Settings > Wi-Fi and then selecting the same network again. Enter the password when prompted and you are all set.

Set Custom DNS

Sometimes the network connectivity problems could be triggered by problematic DNS servers from your ISPs. In such cases, you could switch to Google DNS or OpenDNS to resolve the problem:

Open Settings app on your device, and tap on the Wi-Fi menu.

Locate your Wi-Fi connection from the list of available networks, and tap on i button on the right.

Scroll down to locate the DNS section, and tap on the numbers to the right.

Enter the new DNS server address using the virtual keyboard that appears on the screen. Tap on Wi-Fi to go back to main screen, once you are done.

Google DNS: To use Google's DNS for improved speed, performance and security, use any of the following addresses in the DNS field:

8.8.8.8

8.8.4.4

OpenDNS: You can enter either of these addresses to use OpenDNS, which is known to offer better speed, reliability and security:

208.67.222.222

208.67.222.220

Restore and setup as new iPhone/iPad

If none of the above steps fail to resolve the Wi-Fi connectivity issue, then try restoring your iPhone or iPad to factory settings via iTunes:

Connect your device to computer via original USB cable

Choose your iPhone, iPad, or iPod once it is detected in iTunes

Go to the Summary panel and hit the Restore button

Finally, click Restore again to confirm the action. Note: Restoring your iOS device will erase all user data and content, before going back to factory settings.

Downgrade iOS 9 to iOS 8.4.1

If the connectivity problems persist even after restoring your iPhone/iPad, then you can try downgrading iOS 9 back to iOS 8.4.1 using the step-by-step guide posted here.

[Source: iPhone Hacks]

More about iOS 9

iOS 9: How to clean install or manually update on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch

How to install iOS 9.1 public beta 1 on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch without developer account

Apple seeds iOS 9 GM for developers on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch: How to install

Pangu team uncovers iOS 8.4.1 jailbreak exploits patched in iOS 9

If that doesn't work it could be a verity of other issues. SPAM removed

None of these "solutions" worked for me. This wasnt helpful at all!

Thank you so much for explaining these steps so clearly!

'Force Restart' did the trick for me :-)...

Many thanks ;-)!

I had the same problem on iphone 6s IOS 10.2 and none of the trick worked. Just got the replacement as it was hardware fault.

I tried many times to restore this ipad air 2 but it's useless. for all the solutions

tried everything and nothing worked here... :( also you should mention that restoring as new iphone can lose all your info

Reset Your router shut it off for 30 seconds to a minute then turn it back on and whah lah it worked for me your welcome :)

We had 6 pcs, tablets, phones operating in the household and 3 of the were working, and 3 were giving the same error message about the incorrect pasword! After a couple of hours of trying different things I finally tried the modem reboot! Shazam, everything fixed!!!

Was starting to lose the will to live trying to sort it out!! Phone worked in other homes but not home/home. Tried everything then did the reset on modem. Voila, now a happy bunny. Thank you Tyler.

It could be the router. I had the same problem with my iPad, which suddenly would not connect and said the password was incorrect when it wasn't. I logged into my router control panel, and the Wireless control setup. Then changed the setting of the WiFi network to None on the security options. Then logged back in with the iPad without the need for any password. That worked. Then I went back in to the Router Wireless Control and changed the Security option back to WPA2. Then logged back in to WiFi on the iPad, this time putting the password back in when prompted for it. This time it accepted the password. Bingo!

I have changed my router from 2.4Ghz network to 5Ghz network and it did connect to the network.

If you can it's a good idea to alter the AP names so the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands are uniquely named. I like adding the frequency to the name ACME_2-4 & ACME_5.

General>Reset>Reset Network Settings on your iphone

I was trying this, then my phone just got an apple logo, and it won’t go away.

I reset the network settings on my phone, and then restarted the router and then turned my phone WiFi on and it worked, but not sure if this will work for others but it worked for me so is worth a try.

One last thing to check to see if your phone will connect. Disable password in your router and make it an open network and try connecting for troubleshooting purposes

I’m actually just tired of all these flippen issues with iPhone. i’ve wasted so much time trying to get this thing to work.. and It’s just not working right, if its not wi-fi passwords not getting accepted, to flippen apple logos that just won’t go off. I’m close to throwing this piece of equipment into the ocean (which is a stones throw away) right now. I’m done with Apple. mxxxm

All iPads seem to do this after the iOS 10 update. To temporarily fix this toggle the airport button once or twice and then try to reconnect. iPad may continue doing this the next day but at least it connects after the toggle. The permanent fix should come with a next iOS update however even with the 6th beta of iOS 11 I have the same issue. Just crossing fingers and hoping someone takes care of it.

iserruya80 will be eternally grateful.