iPhone keeps saying "incorrect password" when connecting to wifi

i bought an iphone 5 and when i tried to connect it to my wifi network it says the password is incorrect( i know it s correct) i think it´s not my router because my ipad wifi work normally. i tried to reset network settings, reset the iphone and restoring it too but doesn´t worked. maybe changing wifi antenna would fix it? or it is a wifi module problem?

Did you already solved this problem? I'm having the same problem. Please respond, it's getting really irritating :(

I have the same problem. I have tried many ways, but it still doesn't work. Someone please help me!

Same problem with a 5 SE, no solutions to be found anywhere, I have traveled extensively through cyberspace looking for some kind of answer, but so far have found nothing. If anyone who does have an idea reads this could you please post the idea here, I'm prepared to try pretty much anything at the moment, including throwing my iPhone off the balcony in frustration... I'm really sick of spending my precious free time trying to sort out bullsh*t with expensive hardware. This phone has been a big waste of time & money. Thanks Apple.

Mine is Iphone 6. No more Iphone in the future.

I have an ipad air 2 with the same problem, stupid Apple

Most Helpful Answer

iOS 9 brings its own share of inherent bugs and post-update issues such as persistent Wi-Fi connectivity problems like any other major iOS update. Some of the recently reported issues include inability to connect to a Wi-Fi network, unexpected error messages with incorrect password entries, intermittent connection issues and/or extremely slow connection speeds.

Check out a few simple tips and tricks (below) to fix the Wi-Fi connectivity problems on your device running iOS 9:

Reset network settings

Several connectivity problems can easily be resolved by simply resetting the network settings, which will clear the memory caches and DHCP settings to get the default or factory recommended settings. Here is how to reset network settings: Open Settings app > go to Settings > General > Reset and tap on Reset Network Settings.

Force Restart

Force restarting your iOS device is the preliminary step that you should try before anything else. Press and hold Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds and then release them once the screen shows the Apple logo, following the reboot.

Disable Wi-Fi networking services

Several users have reportedly resolved Wi-Fi connectivity issues by simply disabling Wi-Fi networking services. Here is what you should do: Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services and disable Wi-Fi networking services from there. Note: This will only disable location services for Wi-Fi networking, but it will not affect Wi-Fi functionality entirely.

Forget Wi-Fi network to fix password incorrect prompt

Those who are unable to connect to any Wi-Fi network due to unexpected errors with password prompts (despite entering the right password), can try forgetting the Wi-Fi network and then attempt rejoining the network.

To accomplish this, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and then select your Wi-Fi network from the list by tapping on it. Then tap on Forget This Network option. A pop-up message will appear on screen asking your confirmation to forget the chosen Wi-Fi network. Just tap on Forget option to forget the network.

Now try rejoining the Wi-Fi network by going to Settings > Wi-Fi and then selecting the same network again. Enter the password when prompted and you are all set.

Set Custom DNS

Sometimes the network connectivity problems could be triggered by problematic DNS servers from your ISPs. In such cases, you could switch to Google DNS or OpenDNS to resolve the problem:

Open Settings app on your device, and tap on the Wi-Fi menu.

Locate your Wi-Fi connection from the list of available networks, and tap on i button on the right.

Scroll down to locate the DNS section, and tap on the numbers to the right.

Enter the new DNS server address using the virtual keyboard that appears on the screen. Tap on Wi-Fi to go back to main screen, once you are done.

Google DNS: To use Google's DNS for improved speed, performance and security, use any of the following addresses in the DNS field:

8.8.8.8

8.8.4.4

OpenDNS: You can enter either of these addresses to use OpenDNS, which is known to offer better speed, reliability and security:

208.67.222.222

208.67.222.220

Restore and setup as new iPhone/iPad

If none of the above steps fail to resolve the Wi-Fi connectivity issue, then try restoring your iPhone or iPad to factory settings via iTunes:

Connect your device to computer via original USB cable

Choose your iPhone, iPad, or iPod once it is detected in iTunes

Go to the Summary panel and hit the Restore button

Finally, click Restore again to confirm the action. Note: Restoring your iOS device will erase all user data and content, before going back to factory settings.

Downgrade iOS 9 to iOS 8.4.1

If the connectivity problems persist even after restoring your iPhone/iPad, then you can try downgrading iOS 9 back to iOS 8.4.1 using the step-by-step guide posted here.

[Source: iPhone Hacks]

More about iOS 9

iOS 9: How to clean install or manually update on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch

How to install iOS 9.1 public beta 1 on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch without developer account

Apple seeds iOS 9 GM for developers on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch: How to install

Pangu team uncovers iOS 8.4.1 jailbreak exploits patched in iOS 9

If that doesn't work it could be a verity of other issues. SPAM removed

None of these "solutions" worked for me. This wasnt helpful at all!

Thank you so much for explaining these steps so clearly!

'Force Restart' did the trick for me :-)...

Many thanks ;-)!

I had the same problem on iphone 6s IOS 10.2 and none of the trick worked. Just got the replacement as it was hardware fault.

I tried many times to restore this ipad air 2 but it's useless. for all the solutions

tried everything and nothing worked here... :( also you should mention that restoring as new iphone can lose all your info

Reset Your router shut it off for 30 seconds to a minute then turn it back on and whah lah it worked for me your welcome :)

We had 6 pcs, tablets, phones operating in the household and 3 of the were working, and 3 were giving the same error message about the incorrect pasword! After a couple of hours of trying different things I finally tried the modem reboot! Shazam, everything fixed!!!

It could be the router. I had the same problem with my iPad, which suddenly would not connect and said the password was incorrect when it wasn't. I logged into my router control panel, and the Wireless control setup. Then changed the setting of the WiFi network to None on the security options. Then logged back in with the iPad without the need for any password. That worked. Then I went back in to the Router Wireless Control and changed the Security option back to WPA2. Then logged back in to WiFi on the iPad, this time putting the password back in when prompted for it. This time it accepted the password. Bingo!

I have changed my router from 2.4Ghz network to 5Ghz network and it did connect to the network.

If you can it's a good idea to alter the AP names so the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands are uniquely named. I like adding the frequency to the name ACME_2-4 & ACME_5.

General>Reset>Reset Network Settings on your iphone

I was trying this, then my phone just got an apple logo, and it won’t go away.

that happened to me too ^ i had to get it fixed but the problem still hasn't gone which is annoying because I'm scared to try that again

I reset the network settings on my phone, and then restarted the router and then turned my phone WiFi on and it worked, but not sure if this will work for others but it worked for me so is worth a try.

One last thing to check to see if your phone will connect. Disable password in your router and make it an open network and try connecting for troubleshooting purposes

I think this problem is related to the country and wifi channel, change the country to USA in wifi settings and set wifi channel to 11 or Auto, I think this would solve your problem

This actually helped a lot!

iPhone 6s won’t connect to wifi, always wrong password.

So this annoying problem came to me too. I did a lot of tests The situation was

(1) My iPhone 6s could not connect to any 2.4GHz wifi. It complained always about wrong password. By any I mean all my 4 working wifi routers and all the wifi at my friends places, public libraries, train stations, airports etc.

(2) Removing password on the router just made the iPhone change the error message to “unable to connect”.

(3) When I place the iPhone just beside the antenna of the router, within 10 cm, it can connect without problem, with or without password. Tested on several different routers, also on wireless personal hotspots (tethering) from other iPhones and Androids.

This (3) was the most strange and unexplainable thing, refer to (6) and (7) below.

(4) It has no problem with 5 GHz wifi, no problem at all. Also with the same SSID and the same encryption protocol and password.

By now, it is already clear that this is not a software problem. So the next one was not necessary.

(5) Reset the phone to factory settings (or any other resets) and upgrade to newest version IOS did not change anything. Please don’t suggest resetting the router, I can’t do that for all routers in the world.

You might think that the phone must have a defect 2.4 GHz antenna. But then

(6) It could see all 2.4 GHz wifi as good as another “good” iPhone 6s could.

So receiving ability was good enough.

(7) When I set both this iPhone 6s and another good iPhone 6s as personal hotspots (tethering), both turned out to be on 2.4 GHz (You can’t on an iPhone really specify which one you want, can you? I can choose wifi band for Personal Hotspot on my Android phone), and measured the sending strength, they were exactly the same.

So sending power had no problem either.

(8) Wifi client could only connect to the personal hotspot on the good iPhone, not the defect one.

(9) Apple shop / Service Center tested the iPhone with all possible devices but could not find any problem. Well, not surprising. Although I did not have any of the equipments they had, I still think that my troubleshooting was as good as theirs.

After almost one month long struggle, Apple finally decided to replace my iPhone with a brand new one.

So conclusion: iPhone’s 2.4 wireless network can easily break down, reason unknown.

If you guys experience similar issue, and when you go to Apple shops, the phone then can connect to wifi there without problem, it’s because in Apple shops they have 5 GHz. Make them try it on 2.4 GHz wifi, and if they can’t make the phone connected, insist on having a replacement.

I have the same problem! But a different model which is a iPhone 6. I have to stand next to the WiFi in order to connect it, then it works perfectly fine after that , Even in connecting far from the wifi .

I have the exact same problem with a different device. An iPad Air 2. I will try to go to Apple and get a replacement.

One solution to "wrong password" when connecting to a known wifi.

Go to router settings and check for MAC id filter.

Get the WIFI id from your iphone and enter the same in the router settings and save it.

PS: In many cases, the wifi id and the bluetooth id are almost identical except for the last digit. If already entered in the router settings recheck the id's again.

Change your router's security mode to "WPA2 - PSK".

99% this will solve this problem.

My iPad was dropping signal every few minutes and I had to put in my password from 5 to 10 times before Wi-Fi network would accept it. Following Shashi’s advice, I changed my router’s security mode from WPA-WPA2-Personal to WPA2-Personal. This stopped the “wrong password” error message on my iPad and iPhone; I suggest that you do this before doing anything else if you are receiving this error message. I had tried a number of suggestions before that, including a long conversations with the helpdesk of my Internet service provider, but none of those had any effect. My mobile devices still drop the Wi-Fi signal far more often than my desktop Mac. There might be some problem specific to Apple mobile devices that interferes with good Wi-Fi connection.

it still does not work! only my macbook is connected to my Airport Extreme...whenever i try to connect from my samsung s8 plus and ipad, it says "password incorrect" when i wrote the exact password i saved...

FIXED IT!!! Couldn’t connect to Asus 2.4Ghz, only 5Ghz, said stupid “incorrect password”. Issue with 5Ghz is that the range is limited and i have a wall made of block. Also knew issue was somehow related only to apple, because I own wifi camera, sonos speaker and google home and they had no issue connecting to 2.4ghz.

Researching issue, read that this error could be fixed if u go to ur router admin page (ie 192.168.x.x). There, go to Wireless > advance settings and somewhere in the options change bandwidth from 40 mhz to 20 mhz.

Mine said 40/20mhz.. so i changed it to 20 mhz and now “incorrect password” error is no more. Hope this helps others

Nothing else worked, thank you so much for this fix! I wonder why, though...it had been working for years with this setting.

There are very old and extremely generic instructions provided here. For example, it hasn't been possible to downgrade iOS (especially to 8) for a very long time. All of these suggestions assume the phone is at fault. Try to power off/power on the home WiFi router, or make sure the router has the latest security updates / firmware updates. A lot of home routers suddenly freeze or partially crash when many devices are connected or too many of them are downloading at the same time.

heat the wifi ic for 1 min and you will not have the same problem

I had this exact same issue with my iphone 5c. Put the phone is DFU mode and do a itunes restore. Its a software bug

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: (Or at least treating the "symptoms")

I noticed sometimes my iPad would actually start to connect, and then it would immediately drop, as if the router was doing some kind of dynamic switching that was knocking it off. I experimented with several dynamic switching options in my router configuration and finally had success when turning off what my ActionTec router calls SmartSteering — the configuration that lets it switch clients dynamically back and forth between 2.4G and 5G.

I turned this off, which created separate MyNetwork-2.4G and MyNetwork-5G wifi networks. And then, what do you know: connecting my iPad to the 2.4G network works great! And connecting it to the 5G network (with the exact same password) fails every time with that "incorrect password" prompt. So at least in my case, it was a "connect to 5G" problem disguised as a password error. Worth a try.

I had similar issues, iphns, ipad, nook not connecting to 2.4ghz wifi kept sayin “incorrect password” i tried everything. Reset router 5x, disabled then enabled the 2.4ghz channels 3x, cleared passwords n retyped, reset network settings on phn 3x, then lookin thru router settings found somehow the mac filter was turned on which allows u to block devices logging that maybe shouldnt b although all the devices were allowed still wouldnt all connection, i turned it off and bam works great on all devices!

iserruya80 will be eternally grateful.