How to remove an SD card from CD Drive?

How do I remove an SD card that was mistakenly put in the CD drive of my Imac?

Thank goodness for this post! I was really stressed out over this because it's my work computer and if I broke the drive, I'd be so upset! The tape trick didn't work for me (the tape would get stuck near the entrance of the drive and not slide in easily). I turned the machine sideway while holding it up a little in the front, then used a ruler to gently flick down and out. I wasn't sure it was working but then I saw the very tip of the sim card so I did it again and I was able to grab the edge of the card and pull it out! Whew! :)

Thank you thank you. It worked a treat and I have now discarded the sim.

Thanks so much. I cut off the bottom of a small envelope and used it as a "hook" to grab the SD card. It took 4 or 5 tries but grabbed the card in the end. I figured there must be other absent-minded people who had done the same silly trick of putting the card in the wrong slot. Thanks again.

get a piece of constructed paper and cut a little piece like a hook and just try it and see how far deep the SD card is and it does not take long to pull it out just dont go crazy like i did and break the whole computer

thank you for the paper hook tip!!!!!!!!

Easy. Use gravity and inertia. Hold the machine tightly with the disk opening pointing down and shake it out using short abrupt downward thrusts.

Its worth a try +

Nice mental image, those things aren't exactly light :)

No problem for a NFL lineman ;-)

the mac shouldn´t be running....just for the hard drives sake.

i actually lol'd crisb- i'm sure there's a .01% of the population for which we unfortunately need to dole out that warning

Wow - I have a 21" imac and did this based on everyone's advice and it worked! Thanks for the scoop. I could have easily wasted three hours taking this to apple store or calling apple care.

My method from the other responses was to take a manila folder and cut it into an "L" shape about 4" high and 3" wide. I then turned the computer off. I then turned the iMac on it's side so the dvd was facing down. I left the iMac stand on the desk and then rested the side of the iMac on my legs, but there could be other ways to turn it sideways that leaves the slot accessible. I then fished the L shaped manila folder piece into the slot (with the leg of the "L" facing the bottom of the iMac). I did gently shake the imac on my leg a little bit, and also made sure that the iMac screen was perpendicular to the floor - not leaning one way or the other. I then pulled the L down slowly and not too hard. Sure enough, on the 3rd try or so, the sd card pushed it's way through the spongy material at the dvd opening. Couldn't believe it! Thanks everyone.

great technique - used with a Dell Studio laptop and worked fine. I cut the manila folder 'L' at the spine so there was a double thickness and the hooking action made a sort of Vee shape with the open end of the Vee dragging downwards towards the exit slot. with a bit of jiggling and hooking out poppoed the SD card !

Thanks for a really great tip, it worked with my L shaped manilla folder cut out, took about 3 minutes.

It worked! And I totally cheated. I didn't turn my iMac on its side; I just left it sitting normal. I also didn't turn it off. I took my L-shaped piece of FedEx envelope (about half-inch wide on the L) and on about the forth try at fishing around in there, it slid out. Thanks.

This idea is amazing. I didn't think it would work but got the sd card out on the first try!

thank you so much!!!!!

My husband did the same thing. I called Apple Care and they said don't mess with it, bring it to the Apple Store. The Apple tech took a 6" long piece of 2" wide cellophane packing tape and folded one end of it over to make a non sticky handle. Then they inserted it into the drive and the SD card stuck to it and came right out!!

Thank you so much!! I have a 27 inch imac, and I tried the gently shaking thing, but didn't get anywhere. I then tried the packing tape thing, and it took a few tries, but I got it!! I had to tape it flat to a thick sheet of paper first, as my packing tape is flimsy. Then fish it in, but it worked in the end!! Yay!!

Best. Advice. Ever.

I did exactly the same and it worked a treat! It took a few goes but eventually out came the SD card stuck to the tape.

I'll be a lot more careful in future

Thank you! I tried the tape trick. I taped the tape onto manilla paper. (I cut up a manilla envelope.) I left some of the sticky part exposed. I put it in and the SD card came out the first or second time! Now I'm going to put masking tape over my DVD slot. I don't use that much but I do use the SD slot a lot. If I want to use the DVD player, I'll just take the tape off.

Hi All,

I had a similar problem, I used a piece of thick paper to slide into the CD ROM drive and did some short abrupt downward thrust. The SD card was not ready to come out. Finally I used a thin plastic at the mouth of CD Rom and lo, it just came out...

One thing is dont lose patience and start abrupting hardly, chances that your CD reading chip might get damaged and you have to pay more. if you are not sure, then better consult, tech doctors.

Hope this helps...

Regards

CA Gururaj Kulkarni

Bangalore, India.

I Used a set of tweezers that have a slight downward angle and my card was well in as there was a dvd that could not eject.

I inserted the tweezers near the bottom and fished inside about 2 inches using a hooking motion and it pulled it to the door, where i grabbed it with my fingers.

I inverted the laptop to protect the optical reader. using a piece of photo paper the width of a CD, I stuck a piece of double sided tape on one end and inserted it into the drive. turned the unit over(right side up) and the sd card stuck to the tape.

Double sided tape stuck to a piece of thin cardboard (or thick paper) works wonders.

I use it to clean debris out of tight spaces, such as the air gap of loudspeaker magnets.

I had this problem. Having had a few near misses I finally managed to lose an SD card. Choosing just the right material to hook the card out with is important. I cut an L-shaped tool from thin, stiff cardboard from the lid of a digital camera box. The card came out in seconds without tape, tilting, shaking etc! Thanks for all the above hints which led me to my solution..

SD cards in two of my iMacs!!! I used two of the methods explained here and one of my own. First, I turned off the computers and firmly shook the iMac, with the cd drive facing the ground. For one computer I folded a piece of paper in half and taped one end, slid it into the cd drive and down and then briskly tugged on the paper and the sd card came flying out. On the second computer the paper would not work, so I took a thin, plastic ruler, angled it in from the top to the back-bottom corner and flicked the SD card out (not sure I recommend this method, but it worked). Good Luck!

now the tape is stuck but the sd card is out

Be gentle and don't give up are good start!

My SD card went in the CD slot while a CD was inside (I wasn't sure at first there was CD inside). But I made a mistake of pressing the eject button and got the the SD card going further in instead. It ended up getting stuck in between the CD. Tho I still didn't know for sure there was a CD inside. I could hear the eject mode working inside a few times but nothing came out.

My domestic helper suggested I put double sided tape on a piece of paper to fish out the SD card.

I finally use that as a final attempt after failing to get anything to come out by tilting the Mac. Very gently I kept pushing the paper with the sticky tape on both sides of the paper inside. when I finally stopped, Lo and behold! A CD came out!

Now I concentrated on the SD card. Again I slowly put in the sticky end of the paper inside and felt the SD card for sure. I kept doing "gentle pulling."

When finally I saw a "black thing" jutting out a little, I grabbed a twizzer to pull it out.

Yes! Tremendous relief after about half an hour, the SD card was back in my hand and I didn't have to waste time going to an Apple store!

I saved a trip to apple store..Thanks...a manila folder and cut it into an "L" shape about 4" high and 3" wide. I then turned the computer off. I then turned the iMac on it's side so the dvd was facing down. I left the iMac stand on the desk and then rested the side of the iMac on my legs, but there could be other ways to turn it sideways that leaves the slot accessible. I then fished the L shaped manila folder piece into the slot (with the leg of the "L" facing the bottom of the iMac). I did gently shake the imac on my leg a little bit, and also made sure that the iMac screen was perpendicular to the floor - not leaning one way or the other. I then pulled the L down slowly and not too hard. Thank you... :-)

Sticky tape did not work but the suggestion to use card stock with a hook in it and tip the machine so the slot faces down, worked like a charm - 1st try 1 minute. I used an index card and slice out the bottom of the card 1/2 inch leaving a 1/2 inch tab on the end (the hook). Slid it in above where the disk was, lowered it down to where I thought the disk was and lightly pulled down (computer is tipped on its side with the cd drive facing down) and came right out.

Tried couple of these without success - then saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpwDfpH4...

Worked a treat first time in just a few seconds.

My daughter inserted a credit card in the CD drive. I used a piece of manila shaped folder covered in sticky tape and the credit card came out easily. I didn't have to use gravity. didn't even turn the computer off. Thanks very much guys for the advice.

Brilliant! Took a envelope cut a 1" strip off the long edge. Folded the upper edges down about 1/4 as lips. Flipped the iMac over and slid the envelope in. Flipped the iMac back over and gently pulled the envelope AND the SD card out of the DVD slot. You would have thought I won the lottery hearing me yelp!

omg..i just had the same weird experience of sd card in my cd drive when my brother pushed it inside while playing.I cut out a 'L' shape from a paper plate,inserted it in the drive using it as the weapon and the card came out in seconds and i had my breathe back..phewww

WOW!!!!!!! I read this and thought " this can NOT work"" But for several months trying to find a way., So I tried it as stated above. On the very try it came out!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

Terry

thank you sooo much it worked!!!

Brian fagan will be eternally grateful.