Aluminum Apple Wired Keyboard

How to disassemble Apple keyboard?

mb110

This question was migrated from http://meta.ifixit.com/.

Actually I wanted to disassemble the keyboard, not just take off keys. Mine's a wireless keyboard and I'm stuck using the iPhone til I can afford new keyboard or fix this. Doesn't seem to be a way of opening the !### thing!

The upper and lower halves are glued together. You can peel the top

layer off, but no way to do it without destroying it in the process.

good answer +

Most Helpful Answer

Hello Everyone,

I have found that it is possible to disassemble an Apple wired keyboard by using a hair dryer on "low heat". Note: DO NOT USE a heat gun, it will simply damage your keyboard beyond repair. However, a hair dry is acceptable if use at low heat. Just direct the heated air on the white bottom cover of your Apple keyboard for up to 4 or 5 minutes. The key is to allow the bottom cover of the keyboard to get hot enough to soften the double sided adhesive film. Once it is heated, the keyboard will easily pry apart. I had to use this method as a means to fixed my damaged cord. So yes it is very possible to repair an Apple wired keyboard. However on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is the easiest measure of difficulty. I would rate it an 8.

Is there a guide on doing this?

This is from an older question I answered about cleaning a keyboard:

If you lift the keys up and look under the bottom edge, you can see the brackets, and use a tiny screwdriver or other tool to carefully pop them free. I slide the tip of a metal spudger between the white bracket and key, then lightly twist to free the bottom, once the bottom is free, it's easy to pop the top of the key out.

If you just pry them out, the plastic brackets pop out sometimes and require re-assembly, which is easy if you are familiar with them, but can be frustrating if you've never dealt with them or know how they go back together.

To re-assemble, you just press the keys back into place, you may have to push on the corners, or try a couple times to get them to click back down. Be sure to feed the little metal support rods back through their holes before pressing the keys back into place.

You need to tell us WHICH KEYBOARD??? HP? Dell? Apple USB aluminum?

To remove the space key do the same things, but there are two metal strips under the key...

To remove them, pull the key up by mini screwdriver or just by finger. You should see the metal strips. Starting from the one side, peel off the key of the metal strip moving to the another side.

Do the same with the second metal strip.

Then you will be able to pop it free.

sorry if I made some grammar mistakes =)

Hey!

I have a macbookpro 15,4" laptop and my cat have destroy the keyboard and i want to buy a new one but i cant read the model nr in the bottom but i can tell tahat the lap top is about 2 years old and had a greay mainboard. I have earlier bought a new harddisk in the same name

so mabi you can find my data in my name or mail. If you have the mainboard i want to buy all whitsh belong to the mainboard and the manual so i can fix it right.

I hope you can help me in this situation i can use the mainboard now and have to use a extern mainboard to write this.

Stuppid cat.

Best regardsm from

And thanks from

Hilmer Kampsø-Jensen

It's best not to put personal contacts on here. Deleted them. Could you please click on link at bottom for ifixit staff help. This page is just a forum to help repair stuff. We don't work for ifixit. Cheers

Everymac.com

Go to Apple

iRex will be eternally grateful.