Battery Replacement Teardown Question

Is it possible to replace the battery on an iPod Touch 1G without removing the logic board from the body?

From the pictures it appears that there is enough room to get to the solder points while the logic board is still attached.

This would definitely speed up the repair and I just wanted to see what the purpose of removing the board is.

I noticed you never got an answer to this. Are you still having this problem?

I would just follow the teardown to point myself. The iPod touches are relatively easy to break. The purpose of taking it out is probably so you have more space to work around and so you don't accidentally burn something

I'm fairly experienced with a soldering iron so the space shouldn't be that much of a concern. I still haven't done this project yet, the parts are in the mail, so if anyone else has some advice please let me know.

I've done it, although I kind of messed up the wire routing and didn't have enough slack to put in the battery, so I had to solder an extension, which then gave me too much wire and I had problems squeezing it all inside the case...sigh. Be careful about that.

So, yes it's possible.

The second one I did I just followed the directions. the board on the bottom isn't that hard to remove.

Nathan Jones will be eternally grateful.