Recovering data stored on NAND chip on iPhone 6

In order to recover data stored on the NAND chip of an iPhone 6 motherboard is it enough to desolder the NAND chip and solder it onto a donor board. I am wondering if some additional chip like the CPU, might also need to be swapped. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any opinions for what to watch out for would be appreciated. We are very skilled at the physical desolder / solder process.

Thanks,

Curt

Did you ever resolve your problem? I am in similar situation, recently had a baby and lost 30 days worth of photos (hadnt synced in a month, no cloud set up) and smashed my phone in the Jeep. Appears chip is fine but board is cracked. I'd really like to recover these photos/videos of the baby.

Were you able to recover your photos? I have two small babies and in trying to sync my photos today my phone backed up to 2014 so I've lost 2 years of memories. Any help would be appreciated!

I any case it is not only the flash nano that need to be put on a donor board but also the processor as the memory and are paired series no etc

Most Helpful Answer

Not possible unless you take the A8 CPU to the new board as well.

The date inside the NAND is encrypted with AES256 by the A8, each A8 has a unique key for that. If you take off the NAND chip and put it in a programmer, you can dump the whole image easily but you'll need Tony Stark to help you decrypt it.

With every new phone, the parts of an iphone that are "married" with one another have increased.

What i can say is,that it is at least linked to the CPU and the Basebandchip. I'm almost sure that this list is not complete.

But this only is imporant if you want to transfer those chips on a another logig board. The activation will fail if one of thos parts are missing. But no idea if some kind of machine JTAG or whatever exists, that can read those parts without the phone.

That is exactly what I want to do. I think this board is beyond recovery and I want to recover the data which it contains. I'm prepared to purchase a brand new iPhone 6 just to get a good working donor board to migrate the chips onto. I know a professional business which specializes in this type of rework but I need to tell them exactly what chips to move over. Sounds like I have to get them to move the CPU and baseband chips along with the NAND chip. Correct? Do you think there might be some other way to look at this problem?

For example: The iphone 5: CPU and NAND chip carrry part of the serialnumber, one can not live without the other. Further the baseband is bound to the serialnumber: meaning serial A can only properly work with IMEI B, which is stored in the Basebandchip.

So far we have CPU(U1), NAND(U4) ; Baseband (U501_RF).

And here is where my knowledge ends. I have no idea what apple did on the iphone 6. But I doubt it have become less components that are depending on each other.

It must be very important data when you go through all this expensive and risky challenge. Since one missing fragile pad after desoldering a chip can make the differnce between a working phone or not.

The epoxy apple uses to glue the ics doesnt make it easier.

Is there another way ? Not to my knowledge .Those IC's have hidded partitions that have no read and no writing privileges making it impossible to clone the data. As for reading it ? I have never seen something that can do that. But that doesn't mean much.Goodluck

Sadly, this is really not practical. You'll end up just killing your replacement phone. The art of desoldering these chips without damaging them (or the board and other components) is just beyond what you can do on your workbench.

Hello Curt Ingram,

Personally i like what you are trying to do but its like breaking the most secure prison in the world :-). ElBo's comment is right. you wont tag them as a system. 64bit architecture is more complicated than 32bit. But there is no any impossible things to do & someday you can do it. never give up

http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/03/iphone-fla...

if they can transfer the data from a 16gb memory to 128gb, it is possible to do what you want to retain your photos . Good luck on finding help in this . It can be done though.

No they cannot transfer data from the chip.

Thank you Tom Chai. How are they able to upgrade the memory from 16gb to 128gb? It looks like that they transfer the image over to the new chip. I was thinking that Mr. Ingram could find someone to get the same results. Have a great weekend!

They just do a backup on their PC for you, that's it.

They just copy serial number onto new chip, then restore iphone backup

Tom Chai, sounds like he could figure out how to retrieve our lost photos. C'mon Tom. :-)

It's been a little over a year, any luck figuring out the answer?

I have an iphone 6s, lost everything when connecting it to my computer and it synced to itunes -- my new born baby's pictures and videos are what I am worried about.

A previous version of iOS (from a few months ago) is on my phone now, and online data recovery software programs are no help.

Any suggestions?

So is the pining on an 8gb nand the same as a 64gb nand?

Can bedone.

Option 01 https://youtu.be/2jRzm_RFWXE

But never did tried it personally.

Curt Ingram will be eternally grateful.