Replace broken tabs to keep ram in place

Well…I'm the idiot. When swapping out my ram, I broke the tabs that keep the ram boards in place. (See step 4 - RAM in the topic called "Installing MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo Model A1211 RAM").

What part(s) do I need to replace? Apple says I need to replace the mother board. But when I look at the mother board, it doesn't show the ram assemble/tabs.

Any ideas?

Peter

Here's a picture of the logic board showing the tabs. http://www.usedmac.com/catalog/images/18...

After breaking the first tab, you continued and broke the second? To avoid more costly repairs, and the logic board is pretty expensive, I would suggest taking it to a older experienced technician who might be able to secure the RAM modules without replacing the logic board. Soldering a new RAM receptacle onto a logic board is not something even I would want to attempt. Honestly some people are just not cut out to do delicate computer repairs.

Yes. I know I will be booed for this answer but I'm looking at what's best for Peter.

I happen to agree. When upgrading my RAM I tried to force the RAM in place and broke the top case ribbon cable. Patience is key when doing any repair. +

Agreed. Ralph +

A heavy rubber band around both sticks might hold it in place. Putting weight on it and superglueing it into place might be another option

Superglue -jeez. Actually something i'd McGyver myself, but think a moment about the next repair guy. Poor chap

There should be a way to install a foam spacer between the memory door and the ram stick that would make pressure on the ram stick and keep it down in its slot.

Be sure its non-conductive foam. Ralph +

Don't feel too guilty. I did the same thing on an old MacBook when I started out repairing Mac laptops. Luckily it was a "practice" laptop to experiment on and wasn't an actual job. Im glad it happened then because now I am extra careful when doing RAM upgrades for friends and clients.

There are many delicate and extremely small screws, parts and wires inside a Mac laptop and no matter how careful you are, something could be pulled off the logic board. When this happens, sometimes a part can be soldered, sometimes not and the logic board has to be replaced which is expensive to do.

The only way I found out about repairing Mac laptops was getting old practice machines that people were throwing out anyway, opening them up, taking them apart, trying out various tools, and studying the inside with a magnifier light.

I always use a Black Stick spudger to gently tweak the RAM clips on laptops to check the resistance. I have had some laptops that it took both hands and a lot of push to get the RAM chip seated properly. This usually happens on the older machines. Good luck though next time

+ for the comprehensive anwer. I noticed that RAM chips on older Macbooks sometimes look corrodet. Anybody with any knowlegde about the whys and fors?

I've seen a lot of factory Apple RAM with white stuff on it that looked like corrosion but wasn't

I used a plastic shim to cause pressure on the ram from the bottom case. Works perfectly. Never a problem since!!!

I used some rolled toilet paper as the 'shim'

Peter will be eternally grateful.