Hewlett-Packard began manufacturing personal laptop computers in 1993.

HP ProBook 4520s unexpected shutdowns due to overheating?

I got a probook 4520s.

Sometimes fans spin very high and the notebook shutdown. Then sometimes I cannot power up it again immediately.

Please note that this can happen also in bios or with a linux live cd and so it is not windows related.

I supposed that overheating was due to dirty fan. I opened it but fans are a bit dirty but not so much.

I have also another problem. I was reinstalling windows from scratch using recovery partition. It powered off in the middle of reinstalling.

Now I would like to reinstall again but recovery partition has disappeared.

Thanks in advance for help,

Mario

Most Helpful Answer

If the system internally is clean and the fan is working you done the basics.

OK, lets look deeper here.

Did the system get wet at all drink spilled or sat on a wet surface? This could have been a while as well. If you don't think so then the next area is to look at the heat sink and the thermal paste joining them together thermally.

Do a careful visual inspection of the heat transfer bar often these are filled with a coolant which does the work vs a solid metal bar. Do you see any corrosion or pin hole when something has leaked out? If so then the issue is poor heat transfer within the heat sink.

If you don't see any thing the next thing is to take the heat sink off clean both the heat sink and the CPU chip of the old thermal paste and apply a fresh coat.

I must warn you this is a big job taking off the heat sink. You do need to be very careful as you can't force things as you could damage the components or the heat sink. Make sure to use a good quality paste and don't over do it (more is not better).

Thanks for reply.

So basically you are saying that there is an overheating problem.

And for partition disappeared?

Yes, you'll need to first figure that out as to why the system is overheating. As to the partition: When the system shutdown it could have corrupted the volume, also you could have deleted it in the process of installing Windows. Lastly, the drive its self could be going bad.

i think this will take you somewhere and may be solve the issue also try steps -

clean the computer using blower and remove all dust

cut down unwanted and unused start up programs

make sure the fan is working and if possible stick some cooling paste over processor .

update the windows with latest version of update of windows and software

try checking any program causing this issue Fix-laptop overheating and keeps-turning-off and see if this can solve this issue . thank for reading

There are air intake slots under the keys on the keyboard. Keys f1- f4 , qwert, asdf.

I used a vacuum on top of the keyboard to suck the dust back out.

If you cannot control the vacuum suction, place the nozzle on the keyboard and turn on then off,

move the nozzle over other keys and repeat the process. This prevented and keys from being sucked off.

My fan speed went way down and no more turn offs

updating my previous post - my suspicion was right. I installed a new hard drive (just because i had one), loaded a fresh copy of Win7 from a CD, upgraded to Win10 through MS website. my problem seems to be fixed now. my laptop is not over heating any more and does not turn off. i used it for a few hours, ran everything i could and still no fan noise, no heating, and i can use it on my lap again. it doesn't burn anymore!!

as a test, i put the old hard drive back into the laptop and within 10min of usage it heated up and turned off. Reinstalled 2nd (new) hard drive with the fresh copy of windows, problem is gone.

i suspected the virus had somehow infected my PC at a level where even a full windows reset wouldn't help as it may have infected the system files etc. it must have caused windows to work over time causing it to over heat.

So the HDD needed to be re-formatted and a fresh copy of windows loaded to solve my issue. hopefully this is of use to someone. i understand each case may be different and mine was the stupid virus.

PS: i used a 2nd HDD just as a test, in case it did not make any difference i could have gone back to the first HDD and solved my heating issue some other way. And while i was opening my laptop to swap the HDD i did check the heat sink/fan, all seemed clean so did not remove it from the CPU.

thanks.

Tee

Hi, did you solved the problem? I have the same .. Thermal paste was replaced, coolers was cleaned.. But the notebook still shuting down after few mins, until windows boot up..

When cleaning the fan did you clean the duct work as well ? The fan can be brand new clean but if the vents leading to the fan are blocked no air gets in and no cooling can be done . try blowing compressed air backward and forward through the vents until you can feel air moving in both directions

Which processor do you have in your computer?

i have problem my probook is overhiting i dont whay?

Which probook model is it? Whiah processor do you have in your computer?

hi,

It's strange. All the people that I know have 4330s (I have the same) do not have a heating problems. This was one of the few best things about probook series. Do you have a AMD processor in your pc instead of intel i3/i5? I've heard AMD heats up a lot more than Intel processors.

your mainboard is faulty and graphic chip need rebbal...

Hello Mario

Probably you have fixed your laptop for now, but I decided to post my repair for everyone.

I had the same problem,

more than 15min´s use caused the fan totally stop, and protector circuit cut all power.

I found that my HP´s fan connector was (brutally?) installed wrong, and one pin (on motherboard´s connector) was bent.

Not very difficult to fix, but I needed magnifying glass to see these pins clearly

=;)

- Veli

has anybody solved the problem?

i even tried changing cooling system it does not work

i have a probook 4520s with the same problem. my laptop used to work fine, until it was infected with a virus. Defender was unable to remove it, and every time i tried to install a software to fight the virus it would over heat and shut down. i thought it was the virus. so i used Recovery mode to do a clean install of windows. but i had the same problem after booting, it would even turn off while doing the install. it over heats, fan run at such a high speed it seems like its going to blow out, than the laptop does a cold shut off and kills it self.

i have just reloaded windows and only installed Chrome, nothing else is installed on this PC and i am having the same issue. i cant use the laptop on my lap for too long it burns my lap. funny its meant to be a "lap-top" yet you cant use it on your lap. any way, i will go through the cleaning procedure as described above, under the keyboard, remove the fan/check cooling past etc and see how it goes.

I still suspect the virus - i wanted to see if a clean install (formatting the HDD using a CD/USB) would help. the laptop had no heating problem before the infection, and now suddenly its overheating to the point i can smell the heat out of the cooling fan, it smells burnt, ozone smell. is it possible for a virus to infect the system in such a way that even a re-install wouldn't help?

Mario Giammarco will be eternally grateful.