Complete disassembly and installation guides for most recent Mac laptops and consumer desktops.

Can I get "certified" to fix my Macs without voiding their warranty?

I tried finding information about this on Apple's site but all of the information there seemed geared toward businesses. The nearest Apple store is 3 hours away from where I live, but I've been working in IT since 1995 so I am very confident in my abilities to work on my own hardware. I'd like to know if there's a way for me (as an individual) to pick up a certification or complete a program that will help me meet the bare minimum requirements to service my own Apple hardware. Does anyone know what this might involve?

Great question.

Certification has no meaning unless employed by Apple (as a Genius) or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. The only thing it does it you aren't, is provide a way to differentiate yourself from another candidate should you choose to pursue a job at one of these locations.

Most Helpful Answer

In thirty years of repairing Apples and Macs, I've had one person ask if I was certified. To begin with Apple wouldn't offer certification to anyone that didn't work for them or their Authorized Repair Providers. I've looked at the programs Apple has offered over the last few years, gotten some of the training books, and in my opinion it's only a way to extort money from me. To my knowledge, I can't just take the exams, I have to pay for the whole shebang. True, I became an Authorized Apple Var, but that didn't have that much to do with Apple, rather the distributors. The requirements for becoming an Authorized Service Provider, last I checked was $250,000 in inventory parts. I tried for years to get that authorization but they were limited to so many per capita. Currently my area has one authorized service provider, Best Buy. The tech has had three days of Apple training, the last time I checked. He sends everything off, and charges about $1000.00 for any repair. My customers report that they were quoted $1000 for a DC IN board on a Aluminum G4. I've had numerous reports of this type of extortion. Maybe someday Apple will treat the people who love her with respect, but I've been *^%!* slapped enough. "Certifications? We don't need no stinkin certifications."

Of course certification is geared toward employment but once you're certified you don't have to become employed! -

Apple Macintosh Hardware Exam: Prometric Test# 9L0-006

Good Luck,

N.

No such thing exists, to avoid voiding the warranty while servicing your hardware just be careful, that's all you can do really.

I agree, get good enough at fixing the stuff that the person who decides whether or not to honor the warranty can't tell anything has been done.

Pretty much they don't care/can't tell unless there's significant damage. Heck, they even take, fix/replace jailbroken iPod touches.

Yeah they are working to stop that:

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/10/appl...

All inofs here:

http://training.apple.com/certification/...

Brent Johnson will be eternally grateful.