A compact version of the HTC One, released August 2013.

Front glass broken, do I need Glass, LCD or Digitizer?

HTC One Mini dropped onto stone floor, front glass is cracked.

Touch functionality still works and the image seems fine behind the broken glass parts.

Now I've asked some online stores in my country about parts, and they said that I would need to replace the whole front (LCD+Digitizer+Front Frame) and offers me a package deal. To me this seems like more than I would need?

I figured it's only the front glass which is broken and needs to be replaced?

So how can I be sure of exactly what parts needs to be replaced? What parts would I need considering that the touch and image is seemingly fine?

Hello Jonni, This is a very rare happening and Im not sure if I understand you 100% right as the underneath image is called the screen or (LCD Liquid Crystal Display) and what is on top of that is referred to as just the glass, which is the outermost layer that your actually touching. If the LCD is cracked, thats what you will need to get an you must sacrifice the top glass along with it to get it out as there is a thin layer of clear adhesive that holds the two together and it will just chip and come out in small pieces so you will need both. They sell "do it yourself kits" depending on your skill level, that you can find on ebay that includes everything you need. If not, Its best left into the hands of a professional as its just very really labor intensive if you dont know what your doing. If you do, It can be taken apart completely in under 30 minutes as Ive done a handful over the years myself. I looked up your phone and fortunately for you, the LCD and kit (Heres the link) http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40... is just under $25. I had to do my Samsung S5 and the kit was over $150 so consider yourself lucky. If you choose not to do it yourself, I would highly recommend buying the kit anyway and bringing it to the repair shop as I have heard some stories of people that are not informed getting raked through the coals and getting charged $150-$200 for a $25-$40 kit. I hope this information was somewhat helpful for you and I wish you luck with it. Regards -Marshall

Most Helpful Answer

Have a look at parts4repair dot com.

LCD Only: If the image under the glass is broken and the touch panel is NOT then you only need an LCD.

Touch Panel aka Digitizer: If the top touch panel or aka glass top is cracked or broken but the image under it is fine then you only need the Touch Panel.

Complete Screen with Touch Panel and LCD: If the top touch panel is broken and the lcd image is either black liquid or cracked you need a complete screen.

To be honest it's probably easier to get the combined part to save having to separate LCD from digitizer and risking cracking it. Replacement pretty simple once back panel carefully removed.

I agree with Keith H. since the digitizer is fused to the LCD you would need some special tools to remove the digitizer to ensure success. To separate the assembly with heatguns, wires etc. only has marginal success. Replace the complete assembly to ensure success. You can sell your broken assembly on places like ebay etc. to get some money back.

You cant buy the glass by itself, the digitizer is the LCD and comes all together, best bang for your buck will be ebay, buy it with an assembly kit because it comes with tools

Just tryin to gwt as much info as possible before I do this! My front outter screen is cracked, all the functions still work fine (touch responds nicely & the display is fine) so should I just replace the outter glass? Or is that what your talking about buying the whole kitten cabootle to replace all of it being the easiest route? And, would replacing the front outtaer glass be easier than replacing the digitizer/the lcd. Or do I have to seperate the front outter glass from the digitizer?? Thanks very much! My phone is a galaxy s3 btw!

Wdillingham

The glass (digitizer) is different from the LCD (liquid crystal display) although when replacing/repairing it is best to purchase both (can be purchased separately) but to separate the LCD from the glass requires a heat gun and procedure may not be successful anyway.

if its just the outer the glass that is broken then only glass needs a replacement but if touch screen is not working then you will need a new digitiser if the light on screen will not show then you will need a new lcd

Glass is the same as digitizer.

The LCD is a different component from the digitizer/glass, but sometimes they are attached to each other. If your damage is detectable by touch, and you know that it is the front, the digitizer/glass needs replacement. It could be that the LCD is also broken also, but you can't tell because of the broken glass infront of it. The LCD is fuzed to the digitizer in this phone, so you will have to replace both glass/digitizer and the LCD, but replacement of the bezel is unnecessary. Use the guide below to replace your screen. Hope this helps!

HTC One Mini LCD Display Replacement

Did this prove useful?

If all your functions work then you only need a glass repair, think of the digitizer as the screen that collect input (so if your touching and scrolling works then that's out of the equation) then your lcd deals with what you see,(if it's blank or ink is running from the screen then you'll need to replace that instead) if it comes down to that you might as well get the full package. So in your case your screen only needs a glass replacement which should amount to $20 at most, good luck

If your screen looks fine and all touch works but is cracked then you just need the glass, but if the screen looks black or touch will not work then you need a LCD. Another way to find out if the LCD is broken is to bull down the scroll bar and move it back and forth on every side to see if the touch works.

The writer of this article explains very well on the difference between digitizer and lcd screen, it helped me to make the right purchase. Hope it helps -

http://www.ebay.com/gds/WHAT-IS-A-DIGITI...

Purchasing the LCD with digitizer would be recommended for those with novice to intermediate mechanical skills. You would require a heat gun and possibly a soldering kit and some experience to remove just the glass cover alone. It's nerve wracking enough the first time taking a phone apart (especially Iphones), save yourself the stress and ensure a better outcome by getting the entire LCD display. I'm an electrician by trade and I freaked out a little the first time I opened up my phone. Get yourself a legitimate Jeweler's screwdriver set (easily $5 or $6 on eBay) and a magnet/magnetic mat to hold the VERY tiny screws (typically 2mm Phillips Head). Watch a youtube tutorial on your specific model phone a couple times and be comfortable with what you're going to do before you do it. You'll need to apply firm but CONTROLLED pressure when removing both the screws and the cables affixing the internal components (cameras x 2; speaker; bell; jack; digitizer). It requires a little pressure for removal of the components, but you don't want to rip/destroy the cables or strip the screws out. Use a pair of tweezers to help out. When tightening the screws down, tighten until they just become firm. It may sound like a nerve-wracking experience, but once you get comfortable and even do a couple, they're easy and fun. Plus, you can make a couple bucks. So go for it.

YOU only need the glass; the glass you physically touch with your fingers. The top side "glass panel" that gets oily from you fingertips. A digitizer and lcd are not needed in your case. The "glass panel' that is on the top of your cell phone, is exposed to the elements, and is broken and needs to be replaced.

The digitizer translates your analog finger movements to digital information. A touch screen phone , tablet, and a touch screen PC lcd panel (like a touch screen PC monitor) all use and need a digitizer.

You need to only replace the top side"glass panel".

Google it for where to go and prices; you will also need to get a small tool kit to dismantle and reassemble your phone when replacing the top glass piece.

most of the comments following your original post are erroneous; well intended but erroneous.

See here the YouTube link and you can understand the process of LCD and digitizers

https://youtu.be/cRqSyZk1SOU

His is what I need wphow do I get it

Maz will be eternally grateful.